Directv phasing out SD receivers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Honestly, there is no reason for SD equipment. If your installing SD YOUR DOING A DIS-service to the customer
I have a friend who absolutely refuses to buy a flat panel tv....I make fun of him about it....Here's the best part. I gave him my old 32" CRT TV about 5 years ago. He says he's not getting a flat panel until the old tube tv dies.

I have a friend who absolutely refuses to buy a flat panel tv....I make fun of him about it....Here's the best part. I gave him my old 32" CRT TV about 5 years ago. He says he's not getting a flat panel until the old tube tv dies.

Wow....Talk about refusing change? Does he still drive an old truck that has a big block gas hog also? The savings in electricity is huge!

And I suppose he uses an icebox? :biggrin

I have a friend whose father was like that -- he refused to purchase a color TV until they perfected it. The friend told me this in 2005.

There are too many of these people. And too many who think they have HD just because they have a HDTV, even with an old SD receiver.

Reactions: Mojo Jojo and AZ.
My RV has 24" led TV and I have a single lnb antenna (portable automatic) that works great on SD. HD makes things much more expensive and complex............................

My RV has 24" led TV and I have a single lnb antenna (portable automatic) that works great on SD. HD makes things much more expensive and complex............................
HD does not make things more expensive at all.
HD TVs are much cheaper than their SD Counterparts.

Thanks for being part of the problem. SD is a complete waste of bandwidth.

Hopefully after shutting off all the SD on 101 they can move all the most watched HD channels to 101 so the portable dish's will still be good for the basics in HD.

HD does not make things more expensive at all.
HD TVs are much cheaper than their SD Counterparts.
He's NOT talking about the TV's; he's talking about having to upgrade the dish in his RV...of which there is no such (portable, automatic) dishes for DirecTV HD sats that I know of...

I have had people tell me the HD picture gave them headaches because it was too clear. I'm like 'whatever'

But the real reason about forcing all new installs to go to HD was the fact that many customers would get SD equipment because they didn't want to pay the $10 even though they had HD televisions in their home.

People would get the SD equipment to save money and then several months later get a new TV or try to upgrade, and it would result in a fight with customer service as Directv then wanted to charge for the upgrade and in some cases the customer would cancel

They do make automatic HD dish's, but I don't think they make any that is in motion.
Amazon product ASIN B00AXXEL5Y
That's what I was about to post .
Problem being they are WAY more expensive than the ones made for DISH....
Why they can't make a reasonable priced unit is beyond me.

I understand with D* you need to hit more than 1 sat, but over a $ 1000 is ridiculous.

I don't need Motion at all .... how often are you needing to watch TV while your going down the road.

at that price you're better off with a tripod and the box the techs use to actually align the dish.
I agree, we use a tripod with our 5th wheel but like most nice things it has a large convenience fee. I have seen other RV's with that dish and they can be watching tv literally minutes after parking. While I am still unpacking the dish, tripod etc...

do you disassemble the reflector from the rest of the ODU? otherwise i cant imagine it taking any more then 10 min at worst. plus, if you do buy the box, you can tell when your LNB takes a dump.

do you disassemble the reflector from the rest of the ODU? otherwise i cant imagine it taking any more then 10 min at worst. plus, if you do buy the box, you can tell when your LNB takes a dump.
setting it up doesn't take too long, of course we don't use a signal meter, but actually pointing the dish is the easy part. This is exactly what we do.

Step 1. Remove tripod, bucket, cable and dish from storage area and assemble. 5 minutes
Step 2. Find a spot to put dish, run cable connect to dish and side of RV, fill bucket with water(tripod weight), level tripod. 10 minutes
Step 3. Boot up receiver and enter zip code of location i am at currently, take elevation and tilt numbers, adjust dish to match settings with drill and socket. 5 minutes
Step 4. Rough point dish with 101 signal meter screen. Then fine tune with 99c signal meter screen. 3 minutes
Done

So it takes about 20+ minutes, I could possibly get it done a bit quicker if I really really hurried but honestly compared to other RV'ers I believe we are pretty fast and efficient with setting it up.

The fancy automatic winegard dish is up in 1 minute, and requires no dragging anything out of storage(storage space is a premium on an RV), but its expensive but I totally understand why a person would buy one, RVing is suppose to pleasurable not a hassle.

So it takes about 20+ minutes, I could possibly get it done a bit quicker if I really really hurried but honestly compared to other RV'ers I believe we are pretty fast and efficient with setting it up.

fair enough. didn't think about a counterweight. getting water at the camper site was always my job. those 10 gallon containers are HEAVY, always sucked dragging one back to the site.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)