Directv Quailty Control Visit

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rsmithwi

On Vacation
Original poster
May 14, 2014
Land of 10,000 taxes!
My dog started barking and pacing which usually indicates he hears someone outside on the property. Checked my security cams and saw a person taking pictures of my garage where my Directv dish is mounted. I had a tech come out a couple of weeks ago to move it back to the garage roof after it was replaced. The dish was on a temp non permanent mount. I confronted him and it was a Directv contractor checking the work of the dish move by the tech. His van did not have the Directv logo and clothing was casual.

I know that Direct will occasionally QC jobs, but at least they should knock and see if someone is home before trespassing on my property. I have no issue with the QC check as I was able to tell him the service tech did a great job in moving and peaking the dish. Never have seen signals so strong before!. This Directv guy was lucky that I did not let my dog out or worse that someone else may have come out with a gun. Showing up announced it not a good idea in my opinion.

My dog started barking and pacing which usually indicates he hears someone outside on the property. Checked my security cams and saw a person taking pictures of my garage where my Directv dish is mounted. I had a tech come out a couple of weeks ago to move it back to the garage roof after it was replaced. The dish was on a temp non permanent mount. I confronted him and it was a Directv contractor checking the work of the dish move by the tech. His van did not have the Directv logo and clothing was casual.

I know that Direct will occasionally QC jobs, but at least they should knock and see if someone is home before trespassing on my property. I have no issue with the QC check as I was able to tell him the service tech did a great job in moving and peaking the dish. Never have seen signals so strong before!. This Directv guy was lucky that I did not let my dog out or worse that someone else may have come out with a gun. Showing up announced it not a good idea in my opinion.
While I understand your concerns ....
I HATE it when people have to let thier dogs out, just to see whats going on in the neighborhood.

In this case, yes he should have knocked on the door.

Today I knocked on the door and waited a good 3-5 minutes then proceeded to the back yard, to find out that the sub was at the door later when I came back around ... how LONG am I suppose to wait ?

If I had to knock and wait at everybody door before going into thier back yard, I would NEVER get any work done.

I may be in your yard for a minute or two or ALL DAY depending on where my trouble is located.

It is common for me to be in someones yard and have the neighbor from the other street let thier dogs out, just see whats going on, it gives them a reason to be nosy.

Keep in mind I have Right of Way in everybody's yard.

Another thing that pisses me off is when people build thier garages in the ROW., making it impossible to get a ladder up safely.

I don't think Directv has any right of way in anyone's yard. If I want to let my dog out cause he has to go then I do, if your in my yard announced your going to get bit period!. If there is someone that I don't know that is announced action will be taken. There are too many instances of people pretending to be utilities, cable tv, satellite techs that invade and harm the home owners. If I see anyone snooping around in my property then the cops are called. Any threat to my safety will bring the appropriate use of force. Might want to think twice for the states that have a "stand your ground" law.

I don't think Directv has any right of way in anyone's yard. If I want to let my dog out cause he has to go then I do, if your in my yard announced your going to get bit period!. If there is someone that I don't know that is announced action will be taken. There are too many instances of people pretending to be utilities, cable tv, satellite techs that invade and harm the home owners. If I see anyone snooping around in my property then the cops are called. Any threat to my safety will bring the appropriate use of force. Might want to think twice for the states that have a "stand your ground" law.

No doubt I agree with this. I don't care how many times someone knocks, I don't have to answer. You have no right to my property so if my dogs feel you are trespassing, I feel bad for ya.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: dishcomm
I HATE it when people have to let thier dogs out, just to see whats going on in the neighborhood.

Today I knocked on the door and waited a good 3-5 minutes then proceeded to the back yard, to find out that the sub was at the door later when I came back around ... how LONG am I suppose to wait ?

If I had to knock and wait at everybody door before going into thier back yard, I would NEVER get any work done.

I may be in your yard for a minute or two or ALL DAY depending on where my trouble is located.

It is common for me to be in someones yard and have the neighbor from the other street let thier dogs out, just see whats going on, it gives them a reason to be nosy.

Another thing that pisses me off is when people build thier garages in the ROW., making it impossible to get a ladder up safely.

As an AT&T employee, you may. I did when I was delivering the mail. I don't think the same is true for Directv employees.

Then again, if they are legit people working in the yard then there is NO THREAT involved.
No D* would not have ROW access, but Phone ,company, Edison and Cable companies do as well as Gas, and Water and a few others as well.

These people may need access to your yard to help others down the road, this is how my work goes ... I am not there harming anyone, threatening anyone, just doing my job.

Can I let my dog out to annoy you while your at your work ?

No doubt I agree with this. I don't care how many times someone knocks, I don't have to answer. You have no right to my property so if my dogs feel you are trespassing, I feel bad for ya.

When I drop your DOG because he's coming at me when I am doing my job, I'm sorry.

I hope your dog is OK, eventually.

If I knock and you don't answer in a minute or two, I'm gonna presume your not home and go about my work.
I am not given time at account for waiting 10-15 minutes for someone to come to the door when I need to get in your yard.

Funny thing, in the state of Arizona, it does not matter what you are doing here. If there is a "beware of dog" sign posted, and you trespass, even city e players, I have an expectation to privacy and my dog can legally protect the home. Think about it, if the police cannot enter without proper authorization, why should a lowly city worker, with a simple backround check and no security clearance be allowed to trespass. If there is something for one of the other neighbors, then they better coordinate with the property owner first. Trespassing is still trespassing. No matter how you spin it. And considering television is not a utility, it is a luxury, no technical has any ROW. Period.

Reactions: krauser1
When I drop your DOG because he's coming at me when I am doing my job, I'm sorry.

If I knock and you don't answer in a minute or two, I'm gonna presume your not home and go about my work.
I am not given time at account for waiting 10-15 minutes for someone to come to the door when I need to get in your yard.

I highly doubt you would drop two Rottweiler's. Pretty sure they would drop you first.

My dish is in my backyard. You can't see it from the front of the house or the street. So, here again, if you were to make way into my backyard, you are trespassing.

The only people how have right of way access are companies that have stuff in the ground or on power poles. Power company, gas , cable , LEC and CLEC's in Kentucky you must be approved and registerer with PSC. And that's not a whole yard or anywhere close it's a very small area go out of right of way and your trespassing.

I would have thrown him off my property. He had NO RIGHT in being on your property.
Unlike cable tv where when the customer signs off on the installation/service which gives the cable co permission to access the service line to the subscriber box, satellite has no such provision.
The nerve of some people.
Here's this guy in an unmarked vehicle, no ID badge, casual non logo clothing traipsing around you property unannounced. What a jerk.
I once had spotted waht turned out to be person connected with our HOA walking across my lawn. I went out and asked him what the hell he thought he was doing. He started quoting me some gibberish about the HOA rules.
I told him that in about 30 seconds my dogs( two large labs that don't like strangers) will have to go to the bathroom.
The guy asks me if I was making a threat. I said "no, I just told you that my dogs have to go out."....He got the message and left.

If no one comes to the door, that cannot be interpreted as an invitation. You have no permission from the homeowner to be there. You call any phone numbers you may have for the homeowner. If you cannot get a response, you leave.
Private property rights are sacrosanct.
They are to be respected. End of story.

Right of way....Yes, cable companies do. Once the customer has signed the forms agreeing to service, they also grant access to the service drop up to the subscriber enclosure.
I still would call the custy on the phone first. You never know what you might run into.
I've been in your shoes. In cable tv and as a utility locator.

Then again, if they are legit people working in the yard then there is NO THREAT involved.
No D* would not have ROW access, but Phone ,company, Edison and Cable companies do as well as Gas, and Water and a few others as well.

These people may need access to your yard to help others down the road, this is how my work goes ... I am not there harming anyone, threatening anyone, just doing my job.

The problem is those at the home have no clue who you are until such time as you've identified yourself.
Just too many creative scam artists and other crooks out there. Unfortunately, this is the world in which we live.

Unfortunately, you assume all risks in accessing private property.
Here's how it works. Until the homeowner has identified you as an employee of the utility company, he can( depending upon state law) assume you are trespassing. if you damage or harm the property( yes animals are property) you could be held liable in either civil and/or criminal courts....
The best advice i can give you is use your phone. if no one comes to the door, call.
If you feel you can enter the property, make a whole bunch of noise so as to attract the attention of any dogs that may be out on the property.
Like I said, we live in a different world now.

Reactions: dalyew
The customer should have been informed that a visit was going to take place.

In this case, if I were at home and an unannounced person, in street clothes, in an unmarked vehicle is walking on my property without my knowledge taking pictures, then he is going to have a very short time to give me a satisfactory answer as to why he is there, possibly at gun point.

If I know you are coming though as is the case most of the time, and you knock and I do not make it within a reasonable amount of time, I would have little issue with you beginning your outside work.

I had someone do this to me too. They were coming out to inspect my satellite installation a week or two after it was done. In my eyes, that's completely unacceptable. I signed up for your TV services. I didn't extend an open invitation for you to show up unannounced and wander around my property.

I can somewhat understand land based services and utilities doing this kind of stuff because a problem on your property might be affecting the entire neighborhood. Satellite doesn't fall under that category though. If I didn't call and ask for a service visit there is no reason for them to be on my property.

Earlier this summer I walked out the door into my back yard and to my surprise someone from AT&T was working. The kicker is that I don't subscribe to any AT&T services and the pole is actually in a neighbor's yard just on the other side of the fence. I have a 6 foot tall privacy fence surrounding my back yard so he must have decided to open the gate and go back there even though the pole isn't on my property. He was up on a ladder leaning over the fence to the pole.

In the end, it was no harm no foul. He had AT&T logos clearly displayed and he was working on a poll not walking around my yard. Still, I don't like the idea that companies are allowed to access private property like that. That's even more true in this case because I don't subscribe to any of AT&T's services.

I feel for you. I'm sure you constantly deal with people's pets and have probably had a few people flip out on you for being on their property. I know that I would hate having to walk onto people's property and not know if they are going to let a huge dog out or walk outside with a shotgun. People are crazy and there is always a chance you could be attacked when you walk into a stranger's yard.

Still, unless we are showing up to work on your private property this isn't the same thing. People have every right to let their dog out in their own yard whenever they want. Showing up at my office with a dog would be unacceptable because dogs don't belong there but they do belong in a back yard. It's not the most courteous thing to do while someone is working on your property but you still have the right to do it.

This is especially true if you weren't notified that a stranger would be entering your property. We don't know if you are who you really say you are or a thief, rapist, pedophile, or murderer. A simple heads up from the company before hand would go a long ways towards verifying that information.

I highly doubt you would drop two Rottweiler's. Pretty sure they would drop you first.

My dish is in my backyard. You can't see it from the front of the house or the street. So, here again, if you were to make way into my backyard, you are trespassing.

I'm working on phone lines, not D* stuff.
And you'd be surprised how well the spray we have that goes 20-30 ft works.

Takes your breath away, real quick.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)