DirecTV Remote is Awful

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yea I dont like their remote either or their EPG.Dish to me has alot better remote and their guide is alot easier to see .

I gave over from Dish to Directv and while I am very happy with the service, the remote does suck. The transport controls are impossible to navigate in a dark room. They could be much more intuitive. I have Harmony's for 2 of the 3 boxes I have and they work great, but because the box in my bedroom is in a glass cabinet, I have to use the UHF setting to use it without the cabinet door open, and I often find myself trying to manipulate the remote in the dark, and it is no fun, but not impossible.

I was with Dish for 5 years. When I switched to DirecTV, it took a while to adjust. Now, when I visit a house with a Dish remote, my brain freezes constantly. It's more of what you are used to than anything else. The only button I dislike for location is the "Active" button. I would be happy if it just disappeared.

I have 2 issues with the DirecTV remote.
1 - the select button should also function as an enter button. This took a lot of time for me to get used to. I would type in a channel number and push select... Nothing.

2- the remote for my HR24 is VERY sensitive. You barely bump the thing, brush against the keys, or it falls in the sofa... Your instantly booted out of what your watching because it sends commands to the box. Yet the remote in my office on the H24 has to be pointed DEAD ON for it to operate. Half the time that one turns on the TV but not the H24.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The only thing I dont like about DTVs remote is the sliding switch at the top that changes devices. Would prefer buttons. But if you have a home theater system, you really should try a Harmony remote. It really simplifies life, especially for the wives. And you dont have to spend $400 like someone said. I think the Harmony One is the best, its about $175, but the 700 is almost as good, and only costs around $100. And they make even cheaper ones.

I don't see a problem with the Direct remote works well here (little fat though).

I don't have a problem DirecTV's remote, just that I found one I like better .(thinner, lighter, bigger buttons and a layout that I prefer) I pointed that out to the OP so he'd know that there are other low-cost options out there. That's all.

I would like to point out our big button remote found on this page of dtv.com

DIRECTV: Equipment : Remotes

I was given one it is nice the numbers are at the top like a lot of universal remotes. With basic dvr function buttons covered. Just a suggestion.

Stone,

Thanks for the link. I'd never noticed that big-button model. From the looks of the button layout, that will solve my issue of pressing the "Menu" button occasionally when pressing the "down arrow" button.

So few people know about it, which is why I mention it as it only available through my department ( ace ) and I believe (tech) can order it but they generally rather transfer to us to save time on call .

Harmony 700 works awesome (had it for about 5 years), almost all of my components have been replaced during that time and all were really easy to change through Windows program, well worth the money. It works all of my components flawlessly. Really cool that you can add extra buttons to the LCD screen.

Ace

Just wondering, is it the Direct TV remotes or the receivers that make channel changing so slow?

Just wondering, is it the Direct TV remotes or the receivers that make channel changing so slow?

I would think it's the remote because the Harmony remotes work fine. I've changed my remotes to IR and it seems to work a lot better than using RF. It's possible that there's some interference with another device but I didn't notice any problems with the E* remote.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)