DirecTV removes OTA scanning from Genies? WTF!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
i really like this feature, hope it is not gone for good. adding an OTA antenna has changed my viewing habits completely, and now i get tons of the 'old" shows that i wanted thanks to sub-channels as well as news coverage during storms when sat signal is out.

i really like this feature, hope it is not gone for good. adding an OTA antenna has changed my viewing habits completely, and now i get tons of the 'old" shows that i wanted thanks to sub-channels as well as news coverage during storms when sat signal is out.

Perhaps you have hit on the reasoning... Once people realize what the can get for free, it may serve as an incentive to downgrade their package or cancel service altogether - especially considering what can be supplemented from online services. If you think about it, a relatively small number of those subscribing to any DBS or cable service have experienced true digital OTA with complete access to subchannels to know what they are missing. Perhaps DirecTV wants to keep it that way.

I think they are working on making it better and working kinks out then bring it back like Mike White said about OTA's bringing them back to the receivers so they don't have to pay as much and have so many disputes!!! imo but me thinking out loud :eek: :D :)

Why would they bring a feature everyones been talking about since they went away and then decide to do away with it ?

DirecTV doesn't think with that logic.

I liked pressing LIST twice to see and manage my to-do list. They took it away, many people here complained, now years later pressing LIST twice still does not bring up my to do list.
Minor example, but there were vocal people asking for it.

I personally think it has to do with the lack of guide data on scanned in channels detracting from the customer experience (in Directv's eyes). Imagine tech support having to explain why some -2 or -3 stations have no program info. They have proven they are not staffed/equipped for that kind of stuff in their tech support. They'll end up with truck rolls because customers aren't getting guide data and the rep didn't understand it was OTA.

Anyhow, personally I think it is less than 50% chance that we'll see OTA scanning again. The feature was there, it worked fine, and it was removed. It was removed from multiple CE releases and now a national release. I don't like the odds.

DirecTV doesn't think with that logic.

I liked pressing LIST twice to see and manage my to-do list. They took it away, many people here complained, now years later pressing LIST twice still does not bring up my to do list.
Minor example, but there were vocal people asking for it.

I personally think it has to do with the lack of guide data on scanned in channels detracting from the customer experience (in Directv's eyes). Imagine tech support having to explain why some -2 or -3 stations have no program info. They have proven they are not staffed/equipped for that kind of stuff in their tech support. They'll end up with truck rolls because customers aren't getting guide data and the rep didn't understand it was OTA.

Anyhow, personally I think it is less than 50% chance that we'll see OTA scanning again. The feature was there, it worked fine, and it was removed. It was removed from multiple CE releases and now a national release. I don't like the odds.

It was here for how long ?

Been gone for what 3 weeks ?

It came with the HR34 so about a year or so. I wish it was there too, I have two AM21s.

Just my theory, it is very unusual behavior on the software teams part to remove a feature from a national release unless it was a business decision.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I suspect that maintaining the database needed for the AM21 just got to be a really large problem, so DirecTV eliminated the "feature".

I suspect that maintaining the database needed for the AM21 just got to be a really large problem, so DirecTV eliminated the "feature".

Not really connected though, the scanning is so people can view channels that aren't in the DirecTV database, they just get the station with no guide data.

The thing is, most stations have guide data in their data stream. Why can't they just use that? I believe it only has current hour and next hour but that is enough to fill the space in the guide.

Not really connected though, the scanning is so people can view channels that aren't in the DirecTV database, they just get the station with no guide data.
I should have said that the problem is that DirecTV didn't like to answer the question of why the programming data is missing for the extra scanned channels.

I should have said that the problem is that DirecTV didn't like to answer the question of why the programming data is missing for the extra scanned channels.

They get their guide information from Tribune. Even though it's in Tribune's database, Directv doesn't include it if it's not in their's. From what I have read, it's because of limitations on the memory of the receivers/dvrs. Maybe they thought it would work with the Genies but for some reason it wasn't.

No, but you can force additional zip codes into it to get many missing subchannels. Search around this forum for coconut13's posts regarding this issue.

So, we've heard for years that the receivers would carry any channel in the Tribune database. LIE
Then we heard that DirecTV did not have the technology to make OTA scanning work in the HR series. LIE
Then we heard the extra OTA channels, even if there was no scan, slowed down the receiver to a crawl (not the crap firmware releases) LIE
Then we heard there was no business interest. LIE AGAIN
Now we hear "customers get confused with 'no programming' " information. DING. LIE AGAIN

We also recently heard DirecTV is intrigued by the Aereo dispute/experiment, yet they are taking away the OTA ability and making it so pathetic there are top 3 markets in the US with no new channel updates since 2009.

I'm sorry, I have to call it as I see it. DirecTV could care less about what you think. They are more concerned about kissing the rear end of TBS, Nick at Nite, USA, or whatever other provider to help pad their viewership numbers to subsidize their contract renewal fees. It has to be some sort of collusion to stifle out competition.

This is an utter joke and DirecTV is a bunch of two-faced liars. I hope you all call them and give their customer service hell since they claim this latest lie that other customers are calling up and asking so many questions about OTA and "no programming available."

Call it as it is.... ANOTHER LIE.

Last edited:
So, we've heard for years that the receivers would carry any channel in the Tribune database. LIE
Then we heard that DirecTV did not have the technology to make OTA scanning work in the HR series. LIE
Then we heard the extra OTA channels, even if there was no scan, slowed down the receiver to a crawl (not the crap firmware releases) LIE
Then we heard there was no business interest. LIE AGAIN
Now we hear "customers get confused with 'no programming' " information. DING. LIE AGAIN

We also recently heard DirecTV is intrigued by the Aereo dispute/experiment, yet they are taking away the OTA ability and making it so pathetic there are top 3 markets in the US with no new channel updates since 2009.

I'm sorry, I have to call it as I see it. DirecTV could care less about what you think. They are more concerned about kissing the rear end of TBS, Nick at Nite, USA, or whatever other provider to help pad their viewership numbers to subsidize their contract renewal fees. It has to be some sort of collusion to stifle out competition.

This is an utter joke and DirecTV is a bunch of two-faced liars. I hope you all call them and give their customer service hell since they claim this latest lie that other customers are calling up and asking so many questions about OTA and "no programming available."

Call it as it is.... ANOTHER LIE.

I don't know where you are getting your information from, but much of it is half truths and outright "distortions".

The thing is, most stations have guide data in their data stream. Why can't they just use that? I believe it only has current hour and next hour but that is enough to fill the space in the guide.

You would be fired at DirecTV for making such a logical comment.

I don't know where you are getting your information from, but much of it is half truths and outright "distortions".
OK, then DirecTV employee, set the record straight.
and please explain why the HR23 is slow as hell even without an AM-21

When you ignore the customer with such arrogance it shows you do not care. Search the archives. This discussion has been going on for years and I have made many calls. I took note of the excuses and posted them. YOUR people said them.

Now the collusion thing? That is pure conjecture. I don't know that for sure. There has to be a good reason for the lies and poor customer service on this issue. I'd like to know the facts if anyone is brave enough to admit them in this forum.

It still makes ZERO sense to pare down the OTA offerings given the Aereo court decision, increasing retransmission fees, and other smart business savings DirecTV can have with a viable OTA tuner in the box. It makes ZERO sense that Dish network has a viable OTA receiver and has for years and DirecTV has this half- you know what version of it with excuse after excuse why it can't act just as the one in the H20 did.

Last edited:
Why do you think I work for Directv? I'm a retired mailman!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)