Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I have just spoke to two of my DirecTV contacts and have some news to report... Now as always PLEASE CONSIDER ANYTHING SAID HERE A RUMOR.

I am told DirecTV is lineing up all it's duck in a row and is prepairing for a major war with Dish Network and with CableTV.

Many details were not told to me, but from what I am told it will be HUGE. And from the sounds of it a DVR in every DiecTV home in the future is lookiing more and more realistic every day.

Speaking of DVR's it appears DirecTV is starting to phase out the DirecTivo units next month they will be having a special on DirecTivo units, the Minimum Aadvertised Price for them will be $99. The units will also have a $50 mail in rebate available making them $49.

On the HDTV front I am told that when Bravo HD+ launches on DirecTV in September, joining it will be TNT-HD and 2 more unnamed HD channels.

On the International front we could see announcements of many new internationals within the next two weeks.

Again they were VERY excited (the most excited I have ever heard them) and they say they are going to announce something HUGE that Dish Network and Cable TV will not be able to match. (My feeling is everyone will get a free upgrade to a DVR using the Sky+ software)

Thats all I have for now. Enjoy!

Just curious if you happened to get a sense as to whether the Bravo HD, TNT HD and two other unnamed HD channels will be included in DirecTV's $10.99 HD package for no additional cost, or whether any or all of these new HD channels will require additional subscription premiums.

BTW I should note that ONE of my contacts hinted that DirecTV will have its own HD satellite, (Is this the Nimiq they are renting) but she did not go into detail.

If this is true it could mean big trouble for Dish, VOOM and Cable.

I really hope that the 2 unnamed channels will be InHD 1 and 2. :)

Also, I hope the new DVR doesn't lose any fuction that the current DTivo does. I would be nice if they allowed networking of them so you can watch one program recorded on another.

Dish Network and cable may try to do something different than what DirecTv is doing to be competitive. There is no way Dish and cable is going to just sit there and allow Direct to pounce them.

I would be VERY surprised if the DirecTV announcement, which I assume will come sometime between now and Labor Day week, doesn't also include the availability to get the HD regional FSNs -- if you subscribe to the appropriate NHL, NBA or MLB premium package.
(And ABC will have to get on board or face having CBS, NBC and Fox having satellite delivery without them.)
And NewsCorp has made DVRs ubiquitous in Great Britain, so I have no doubt that a stripped down Tivo-less (and SD) version will be made available as a swap out at no additional charge. It simply will take the place of the current receiver and be standard equipment as soon as D* can get them manufactured.

All great speculation for now and hope it all true but the Tivo piece I just don't understand why they would want to rid themselves of such a great DVR and yes I understand that they have teir own but why not offer both. I hope the 2 additional chyannels are the NFL HD Network and NESN as I know they are in contract talks with them now. My other choice would be the INHD channels. This is really great news and hope it all comes to be real.

Imagine D* with their own HD bird that is amazing and in fact just may be what they need to really move ahead of everyone else.

Scott please keep us posted with any updates as you get them as usual great work.

DirecTV Additional HD channels

I got the impression from reading the press release about the deal for Bravo HD and the olympics, that the two other channels would be USA and SC-Fi digital. Did anyone else get that impression?

JW

Thanks guys, I am just reporting what I am hearing and passing it along to you guys. Unlike other guys I don't hold out on information.

I feel that these rumor threads not only lead to good discussion but also lead to some good thought, its almost like thinking what you would do with the money if you won a large lottery jackpot. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Thanks guys, I am just reporting what I am hearing and passing it along to you guys. Unlike other guys I don't hold out on information.

I feel that these rumor threads not only lead to good discussion but also lead to some good thought, its almost like thinking what you would do with the money if you won a large lottery jackpot. :)

We all love rumors that is what makes these boards so good :D

I have heard rumors of lower cost DVR. In fact Tivo's CEO even said they were working on one for DirecTV. I know everyone speculates that D* is dumping Tivo but I can not see how it makes sense they are selling really well right now.

I think it would be AWESOME for Directv to get their own HD satellite and show DISH how it's done since DISH couldn't even get it right with 105 and the SuperDISH.

Is Directv good on making their rumors come true?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Speaking of DVR's it appears DirecTV is starting to phase out the DirecTivo units next month they will be having a special on DirecTivo units, the Minimum Aadvertised Price for them will be $99. The units will also have a $50 mail in rebate available making them $49.

Any clue as to when they will go on sale? I was planning on picking up a DirecTIVO next week (if I'm switched over from Pegasus tonight), but if they plan on lowering the price in the next couple of weeks, I might rather wait.

~Alan

I hope DirecTV doesn't dump TiVo but as long as it is supported I will continue to use it regardless. The additional HD channels rumor may be the offer that nobody else can meet. Dish Network and cable already have low price non-TiVo PVRs so that may not be it. DirecTV has a large base of loyal subscribers at least in part because of TiVo so DirecTV would be making a mistake to abandon that great product.

Rumors are great and this one makes sense in that using a DVR is far and away the best way to receive a digital TV service. I also hope DirecTV doesn't discontinue service for the existing HDTV receivers since I also have that kludgey 169time system and use it as well as TiVo.

Chris

I am mostly interested in the international channels, I hope they include some of their UK channels, Sky News International is a must in my opinion, Rupert owns it and can only benefit with more people watching them, I am sure it could be added very cheaply for him, slowly DirecTV will turn into USKY ! (IMO)

Bravo HD+, TNT HD , & Two More HD Channels in September.
My Guess The Other Two Channels Will Be InHD 1 and 2.
With InHD 1 and 2 Directv Can Make More Money.
For My Self I Have D* & V* & the Prospect Of Adding Bravo HD+ Which Has No Compelling Content & TNT HD Which Is A Streched Version Of Their SD Channel & InHD 1 and 2 Which Would Be Nice But I Would Not Use I Guess I Will Probable Stay With Voom & Drop Directv After October.

My best friend has Time Warner cable and when we went to visit him he had the HD set up and had InHD 1 and 2. After I saw them in action I wanted them. The cable company here (Insight) doesn't have InHD 1 and 2 and won't anytime soon. This is why I'm hoping Directv gets them. I don't see DISH getting anything since Charlie thinks nothing in HD is "compelling" and Voom has more problems to deal with already.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)