DIRECTV RVU demo at CES Satguys missed it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
From what I've seen their plan is that MRV needs DECA networking to be supported (note I said supported, not that it won't work with anything else) and they're going to want to be able to support doing a bunch of installs which require the DECA boxes along with SWiM LNB/switch.
Clearly MRV hasn't needed DECA and with DIRECTV's feeble efforts in getting rid of non-SWM equipment, DECA would appear to be a long way off for the vast majority of the subscriber base.

I would say thats a good guess RAD. Our entire blowout we had here at SatelliteGuys was because Jason mention the letters MRV on our homepage and I refused to take them down.

MRV has been something that has been widely talked about by DIRECTV and was not no big secret. Personally I think its one of the best things they have going for them technology wise.

I do think the reason they are protective of it is because they want it to be the best it can be when the release it publiclly, and I guess ultimately I can respect them for that.

It is of course a business decision DirecTV is making. They could have made an MRV splash during the CES if they wanted to, there would be the immediate benefit to counter the ATT/Verizon MRV ads plastered all over the places to compare with the lack of it on cable and DBS.

In the business world, there is no such thing as waiting and waiting in order to finally announce the best, the ultimate new gig, by then your new gig will be obsolete. Besides, there is nothing wrong with announcing something that may take a year to become reality, this is CES, it is supposed to be that way.

DirecTV did not have any problem announcing the new DirecTiVo DVR 16 months ago, since then has said not a single word of it. Therefore this is not a case where DirecTV is hesitating to say something that is not matured yet, or waiting for the last moment to announce the “ultimate MRV”.

Personally, I just don’t think the MRV is that big a deal for DirecTV at this time, yes it is nice to have, but without it, DirecTV continues to gain 200K+ net subs each quarter. It was a business decision that it was not worth the effort and money to put up a booth at the CES for.

DirecTV would get more coverage for their new products if they showed them off at their own booth.
Actually Scott - having attended CES as well - we had no problem at all finding DirecTV in 7 different places.

They were in the Panasonic and Samsung booths with lots of signage regarding their 3D offering this summer, as well as in the Entropic booth showing not only the Home Media Center prototype, but also we got good looks at the SWiM 16 and SWiM32 units.

There were apparently several folks who also got good looks at all that, and reported on it at that other site (DBSTalk) - lots of photos and a humorous "Excellent Adventure" view of their experiences - a very good report.

The Satguys, Engadget, and other (DBSTalk) reports in combination provide a pretty good look at CES, and especially the DirecTV plans ofr Home Media Center and 3D HDTV. All neat stuff we also saw firsthand.

The RVU using was shown at the Entropic Booth for only a few hours on the third day of CES.

The only satellite company that DBSTalk covered at CES was the only satellite company that wasn't officially there... DIRECTV.

Their coverage stunk, I don't think 12 random pictures counts as coverage. And if they were a DBS site, they sure missed the real satellite company that was there and that was Dish Network (Not a mention or photo in their CES coverage or Dish or all the cool new Sling products.)

I am thinking they should just change the name of the DBSTalk site to forums.directv.com since they are the Official forum of DirecTV anyways.

I love it that the only thing they covered was a satellite company that really wasn't there.

The RVU using was shown at the Entropic Booth for only a few hours on the third day of CES.

The only satellite company that DBSTalk covered at CES was the only satellite company that wasn't officially there... DIRECTV.

Their coverage stunk, I don't think 12 random pictures counts as coverage. And if they were a DBS site, they sure missed the real satellite company that was there and that was Dish Network (Not a mention or photo in their CES coverage or Dish or all the cool new Sling products.)
Sorry to differ....but I personally saw the Home Media Center/RVU at the Entropic booth on 2 full days - morning and afternoon - on Saturday and Sunday with my own eyes, and a friend also saw it on Friday.

Also, in looking at the DBSTalk site yesterday...they had over 50 photos there in 3 different lengthy threads, plus 3 guys did an "experience at the CES report", which is what I suspect you referenced with the 12 photos in that single piece. There are several other threads with many more photos, which is one thing I was seeking.

Satguys had some very good coverage as well on several topics, and photos to match, but unforortunately not the topics I was interested in myself, including the RVU in particular.

Strange how no Staff from DBSTalk was there, not even Doug who attended last years Dish Press Conference... DBSTalk members hit CES Friday, Saturday & Sunday I guess, we were there the day before the show opened reporting on Directv & Panasonic's 3D...

DBStalk is worst then forums.directv.com dont give them any ideas scott.

Some of the characters there are worse, but if you can wade through the BS there's a lot more information there than on the DirecTV forums. Fortunately, all of that same information and more can be found here without having to deal with a small group of nasty sycophants.

It was not there two full days. DirecTV even confirmed that to us.
That's interesting.

Since it was there all day Saturday....saw it first hand....and no less than open to close on Sunday....saw it myself again - firsthand multiple times each day at different times. I have photos of the HMC30 with time/date stamps on both days if you fell those are necessary.
Strange how no Staff from DBSTalk was there, not even Doug who attended last years Dish Press Conference... DBSTalk members hit CES Friday, Saturday & Sunday I guess, we were there the day before the show opened reporting on Directv & Panasonic's 3D...
I know of at least 6 people who were there on behalf of DBSTalk, covering all 4 of the days of the CES. They shared their experienced, photos, and related information to me after the show. They were there on there on their own nickel, or so they all told me.

In reading their report from two of their onsite people...they had a pretty good report, photos, and subsequent information that is consistent with what I saw.

Guess it really doesn't matter in the end...but as for the HMC30 - it most certainly was there no less than 2 full days.

Too Bad DIRECTV felt they had to hide this at the Entropic booth instead of spending the money to lease booth space and show it off from the get-go ...
That's almost funny.

The DirecTV HMC30 box was wide open there in the booth, a DirecTV staffer was in the booth with a logo shirt and badge...not exeactly what I'd call "hiding".

Anybody walking past the booth or into it could easily see the HMC30 and the client set up and running with displays showing the guides, setup screens, etc.

They had 4-5 other logo shirt staff in several other booths, and at one point had 3 of them at the Entropic booth with lots of folks looking at the HMC30.

If that was any kind of "secret" or hiding....:rolleyes:

As for second-guessing how they spend their marketing dollars...it would seem that their results demonstrate they are growing their business quite well for years now - must be doing something right.

Too Bad DIRECTV felt they had to hide this at the Entropic booth instead of spending the money to lease booth space and show it off from the get-go ...

Didn't you know that DirecTV needed to do that to pay for Beyonce's fee for the DirecTV commercial she did?;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)