DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't like paying for 10 different apps to watch what I could watch from one service ... Older people will Not go along with the younger crowd ...

Yes, SOME older people are ok with it, most don't like change.

How about if we take everyones Cell phones away and see how they do .... lets say for a week ...
Younger ones will have no clue how to survive or talk to people.

Better yet, don't take the phone away, just turn off the Internet ... they would never survive.
You pay for one app at a time..you don't have to watch live..its called binge watching

I don't like paying for 10 different apps to watch what I could watch from one service
First, you do not need ten and it is a lot less expensive to do so-

All ABC, Disney, Fox, Nat Geo, FX is on Hulu/Disney+, you can get the Bundle which includes ESPN+ for $19.99 Commercial Free
All Viacom Stuff (CBS, NICK, etc) is on Paramount+ for $9.99 Commercial Free
All Universal (NBC, USA, SyFy, etc) is on Peacock for $9.99 Commercial Free
Discovery/Food Network/HGTV, etc is on Discovery+ for $6.99 Commercial Free
AMC+-$8.99 for Commercial Free

So the majority of programming that you get via Traditional Service for basically under $56 and all the extras like the original shows on Disney, Hulu, Paramount that you would miss if you only had Traditional Service with a higher price.

No DVR/Box fees either.

Also, with Streaming, you do not have to get all those services, I have no interest in Discovery+, with Traditional Service I am stuck with all the channels in a package, even if I do not watch them.

The other sticking point is sports, but they are finally embracing streaming, my guess all sports will be available on streaming via certain apps within 3-5 years, at what costs I do not know.

.. Older people will Not go along with the younger crowd ...

Yes, SOME older people are ok with it, most don't like change.
Some do, some don’t, but the point is those subscribers to Traditional Providers are dying off and not being replaced, for example-

Nearly all Americans aged 25-34 access TV content through the internet.

The point is that age range was raised with Live TV and even they do not want it.

I am also amazed that more older folks do not embrace streaming, with a lot of them on fixed income, would save money.

How about if we take everyones Cell phones away and see how they do .... lets say for a week ...
Younger ones will have no clue how to survive or talk to people.
A broad brush you are using, not all younger people are the same, if what you say is true, bars would not have enough customers, Spring Break destinations would have no people there, etc.
Better yet, don't take the phone away, just turn off the Internet ... they would never survive.
I would not survive, the internet is how I handle everything, taxes, legal stuff, banking, investment accounts, paying bills, shopping, corresponding with family members both local ( my kids) and not local ( everyone else).

Last edited:
If Cost is So important, why does every kid have a $1200 cell phone (or more) ?
You are generalize again, not all kids have that.

My kids ( and myself, I just bought one because I dropped my phone) have the Moto G Stylus 5G 6.8" Max Vision, cost was $299, came with 1500 min, 1500 texts and 8gb of data.

After they exhaust the min./data, unlimited is $30 a month.

Much of what is being returned is over five years old and not being refurbished, at least as far as Genies and clients.
They are still having brand new equipment manufactured, they just haven't updated the design so they are still making HS17s and C61/C61Ks.
I’m not doubting you, do you have inside information that says they’re doing this?
I am also amazed that more older folks do not embrace streaming
My 83 year old mother can barley operate her HR54, there is no way she could operate a streaming device.

Reactions: SamCdbs and DS0816
My 83 year old mother can barley operate her HR54, there is no way she could operate a streaming device.
And my 75 year old step-father streams everything.

And myself, at 55, it is pretty obvious that I hate streaming.

First, you do not need ten and it is a lot less expensive to do so-

All ABC, Disney, Fox, Nat Geo, FX is on Hulu/Disney+, you can get the Bundle which includes ESPN+ for $19.99 Commercial Free
All Viacom Stuff (CBS, NICK, etc) is on Paramount+ for $9.99 Commercial Free
All Universal (NBC, USA, SyFy, etc) is on Peacock for $9.99 Commercial Free
Discovery/Food Network/HGTV, etc is on Discovery+ for $6.99 Commercial Free
AMC+-$8.99 for Commercial Free

So the majority of programming that you get via Traditional Service for basically under $56 and all the extras like the original shows on Disney, Hulu, Paramount that you would miss if you only had Traditional Service with a higher price.

No DVR/Box fees either.

Also, with Streaming, you do not have to get all those services, I have no interest in Discovery+, with Traditional Service I am stuck with all the channels in a package, even if I do not watch them.

The other sticking point is sports, but they are finally embracing streaming, my guess all sports will be available on streaming via certain apps within 3-5 years, at what costs I do not know.

Some do, some don’t, but the point is those subscribers to Traditional Providers are dying off and not being replaced, for example-

Nearly all Americans aged 25-34 access TV content through the internet.

The point is that age range was raised with Live TV and even they do not want it.

I am also amazed that more older folks do not embrace streaming, with a lot of them on fixed income, would save money.

A broad brush you are using, not all younger people are the same, if what you say is true, bars would not have enough customers, Spring Break destinations would have no people there, etc.

I would not survive, the internet is how I handle everything, taxes, legal stuff, banking, investment accounts, paying bills, shopping, corresponding with family members both local ( my kids) and not local ( everyone else).
All that with a broadband bill is more expensive than directv

All that with a broadband bill is more expensive than directv
So, 85% of United States‘ households have broadband and is used for a lot more then TV.

But if you want to play this game, how much do DirecTV subscribers pay with broadband also.

I barely pay anything in cash for TV services because I use my Credit Card points to buy Streaming Services’ Gift Cards, so, for me, total real money for me is, roughly, $120 a month for Broadband, HBOMAX ( pay yearly) AMC+ and Peacock ( paid roughly $30 for the year for each during special promotion)

And if you want to get a form of DirecTV in about 5 years, you will still need broadband.

Put if you want to play this stupid game, how much do you pay for Cell Service if you have a house phone at home.

So, 85% of United States‘ households have broadband and is used for a lot more then TV.

But if you want to play this game, how much do DirecTV subscribers pay with broadband also.

I barely pay anything in cash for TV services because I use my Credit Card points to buy Streaming Services’ Gift Cards, so, for me, total real money for me is, roughly, $120 a month for Broadband, HBOMAX ( pay yearly) AMC+ and Peacock ( paid roughly $30 for the year for each during special promotion)

And if you want to get a form of DirecTV in about 5 years, you will still need broadband.

Put if you want to play this stupid game, how much do you pay for Cell Service if you have a house phone at home.
Without broadband..you can't stream...so you have to figure the price in

Without broadband, I cannot do my banking/investment accounts stuff, cannot video call family ( hate talking on the phone).

But with broadband, TV is so much better, can’t get tons of programming in 4K/1080P/dolby Atmos/Dolby Digital+ without it.

Can’t get new movies 45 days to 3 months after the theater without broadband ( for example, the new Thor is on Disney+ on Sept 8, Jurassic World 3 is out on Digital this Thursday in 4K/Dolby Atmos).

Considering I had internet with sat, its no added expense when I dropped sat and went streaming only. That cost was already there.

I also do not understand why people are so against change in how we receive programing.

TV has always had changes.

From Black and White to Color.

From TV Antenna to Cable.

From C-Band to DBS.

From Basic Cable to needing boxes because of Digital.

From VCRs to DVRs for recordings.

From on-demand and now streaming.

I also do not understand why people are so against change in how we receive programing.

TV has always had changes.

From Black and White to Color.

From TV Antenna to Cable.

From C-Band to DBS.

From Basic Cable to needing boxes because of Digital.

From VCRs to DVRs for recordings.

From on-demand and now streaming.
I dont think its the change part...I will repeat again, lots of us cant stream I would say its the one way or the highway mentality that is creating this....I dont understand why thats so hard for many to understand....Every sport season ticket I have offers streaming but it does nothing for me....
Sundays are the worst for my speeds, and I will pay $$$$ and not even know if I can watch the game? Is that clearer?

I dont think its the change part...I will repeat again, lots of us cant stream I would say its the one way or the highway mentality that is creating this....I dont understand why thats so hard for many to understand....Every sport season ticket I have offers streaming but it does nothing for me....
Sundays are the worst for my speeds, and I will pay $$$$ and not even know if I can watch the game? Is that clearer?
But you can if you get Star Link, I have no idea what you pay for internet now, but if Star Link is more expensive, you can save by switching your TV services that would be available to you then.

Other then that, they do not care, they are only thinking about the 85% that do get broadband, the vast majority.

By the way, I live in a rural area of Florida, it took us more then a year to find the perfect house for us, part of that was the broadband, it was hard to find a house with lots of land and great service, when we found this house on Zillow, the first thing I checked was the broadband, then I doubled and triple checked.

NFL should just sell it to everyone including Directv. No matter what Roger Goddell is claiming I believe nobody is willing to pay the high fees to the NFL but the NFL won't ever admit that. Just do it like other sports packages. Also, Directv will be able to offer the Sunday Ticket to Subscribers by itself with whoever wins this. It's sad about what's happened to Directv and Dish with Subscribers. Also, I think it was a mistake for the NFL to give Amazon Prime the Thursday night exclusive but that's just my opinion. With the Amazon Thursday Night deal the NFL opted for short-term revenue over the maximized audience. Looks like they might be doing this with the Sunday Ticket as well.

Last edited:
With the Amazon Thursday Night deal the NFL opted for short-term revenue over the maximized audience. Looks like they might be doing this with the Sunday Ticket as well.
The TNF deal is for over a decade like the SNF and MNF packages, so hardly short term. Rescuing Sunday Ticket from the relatively small market that is a single satellite TV provider is the definition of taking a step to maximize the audience, only surpassed by your other suggestion of opening it up to everyone but that's not how the NFL does business. They have a history of maximizing revenue for their owners and players via exclusivity.

Anyone know if the Thursday Night games will be shown on Twitch like they have been the past few seasons? Keep in mind Amazon owns Twitch and the Twitch Channel the games were shown on was literally called PrimeVideo, so I'm holding out hope.

The TNF deal is for over a decade like the SNF and MNF packages, so hardly short term. Rescuing Sunday Ticket from the relatively small market that is a single satellite TV provider is the definition of taking a step to maximize the audience, only surpassed by your other suggestion of opening it up to everyone but that's not how the NFL does business. They have a history of maximizing revenue for their owners and players via exclusivity.
Short term as in viewers. It will take time to get the viewers to watch it on Amazon Prime.

Status
Please reply by conversation.