diseqc switch outside?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chadg2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Maiden Rock, WI
will these 4-port diseqc switches work in -20F weather if mounted outside at the satellite dish? Mine don't say if it's outdoor or not. Just wondering if anyone is using one outside? Thanks

Typically I place DiSEqC and 22KHz switches at the dish. I use quality Gilbert compression fittings and put a cap full of dielectric grease in each fitting before attaching. Most switches are weatherproof, suitable for use in all but the harshest conditions and can be nylon tied to the elevation bracket or the mast without protection from the elements. I prefer to place the connections and switches in a weatherproof utility box mounted on the mast or ander an eave.

This has been discussed before at the forum. At something south of -20F I did have one DiSEqC that would get stuck and would not switch. As the temperature rose during the day, the problem went away. That switch got fried by a lightning strike and was replaced, and I have not experienced this cold weather problem with any subsequent switches. Seems someone else reported a similar problem with severe cold several years back. Moving the switch indoors would require a lot of cable so I never did it.

At my other location, the DiSEqC is indoors only because the dishes are right next to the house. I do not think it is necessary, just convenient in this case.

I have a pair of cheap DiSEqC 1.0 switches mounted to my Winegard2076 since '05. They have never given me any problem in Montana winters.

IMG_1321.JPG

Thanks guys, one more question. Is the diseqc switch ok after(out at the dish) a v-box dish mover using diseqc commands also? Thanks

Yes. The Vbox will pass the commands to the DiSEqC switch.

The switch uses DiSEqC 1.0 or 1.1 type and the motor uses DiSEqC 1.2 or USALS type. All command types should play nicely together!

Chadg2, have used 2 Chieta DisEQc Switches out at the Dish for DisEQc commands on 2 Dishes in 30 degrees below zero weather for 6 years with no problems.

The problem with installing indoors is that, with a motorized system, you would want the switch to be installed after the motor (between the motor and the LNBF) to prevent motor current from burning out the switch prematurely. This requirement makes installing switches at the dish site almost a necessity, unfortunately.

Enclosures are probably the best protection, however in the 7 years I've had dishes up, my switches have always been exposed to the elements. Funny thing is, my original DiSEqC switch is still functional, even though the back is totally covered in rust.

Where you place the diseq switch can also be influenced by the cable run and type of STB you have. You can have situations where the switch can't get enough juice to flip ports if its too far away from the STB or if you have significant line loss due to say multiple dishes/lnb's. I've had to place my switch close to the STB to get it work properly when I had three fixed dishes up. I've always thought a diseq switch is kind of useless with a single dish and motor though as it still only feeds a single STB and I can move the dish to hit multiple sats so don't need the switch to handle two or more dishes.

I have had my 4 port diseqc switch outside for 2 winters and the temp got down to about -5. I don't have it protected either and it still works much to my surprise. It is suspended in midair however.

I am using a Chieta and a Viewsat diseqc switch. The Viewsat one is connected after my motor and connects to 2 outputs of my QPH-031 and a side mounted lnbf on the same dish. The Chieta connects to the same lnbfs. They have both been exposed to -30 temps with no problem. My motor slows a little in that cold, but still moves. I have only lost 1 switch and that was from a lightning strike that also took out some caps on my Sonicview 8000.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts