Dish about to lose even MORE local channels

There seems to be a surge of stations trying to get coverage of subchannels and also to jack rates to a new standard of $.30/mo. I thought it might be interesting to go to the NAB site and see if there was any policy there.

Here is what I could easily find:
National Association of Broadcasters | NAB on Small Market Television Issues

NAB On Subchannel carriage said:
5. DTV Must Carry

In February 2005, the FCC refused to require cable operators to carry both analog and digital over-the-air signals during the transition to an all DTV world. The Commission also declined to require cable to carry all free multicast signals a station offers.

NAB has asked the FCC to reconsider both decisions explaining that the agency failed to follow the law and did not adequately assess the evidence in the record on the benefits and need for must carry, particularly for small market stations.

and National Association of Broadcasters | Retransmission Consent
NAB on retransmission consent agreements said:
Retransmission negotiations are fair and market driven when exercised. The market system has evolved organically since Congress formulated retransmission consent and must-carry in the 1992 Cable Act, when Congress wisely recognized that cable operators derive great value from broadcasters’ signals. Thus, retransmission consent negotiations are an important mechanism by which local television stations receive the acknowledged value that this programming brings to multi-channel video programming distributors (MVPDs). Before the retransmission consent system was created, cable would simply take broadcasters’ product – our signals and programming – and use it to attract subscribers, without the station’s consent. Retransmission consent rules simply ensure that local stations have the opportunity to negotiate for compensation for the use of their signal.

The retransmission consent rules do not guarantee any compensation; rather, the rules only provide an opportunity for the broadcaster to negotiate for compensation for the use of its signal. Additionally, accepting extra or bundled programming is a decision made by the cable operator, not the broadcaster. Broadcasters routinely give cable companies the choice to either pay for the right to carry a broadcaster’s signal or consent to carrying additional programming. Cable’s resistance to monetary compensation for local broadcast programming has resulted in bundling as an alternative.

Retransmission consent has benefited viewers in many situations by increasing their access to programming such as local news. Turning back the clock to an era when cable monopolies took stations’ signals, without permission or compensation, will do more to restrict programming choice than enhance it.

In short, the system is working as Congress intended. Broadcasters look forward to working with Congress on this issue.

This lewtter is also very telling. It was pasted as an image, so it is difficult to excerpt: http://www.nab.org/AM/AMTemplate.cfm?template=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=7198

However, my reading is that the NAB is holdoing to an opinion that a station can negotiate for a retransmission agreement on the primary channel and then either negotiate for the subchannels or force carriage through must carry.

All you have to do is ask yourself, "Am I better off with HD now than I was 4 years ago?" 4 years ago I had VOOM and 40 quality channels. Now I have 73 diluted, poor HD quality, junky channels. And my price has doubled! DUH!!!!!

All you have to do is ask yourself, "Am I better off with HD now than I was 4 years ago?" 4 years ago I had VOOM and 40 quality channels. Now I have 73 diluted, poor HD quality, junky channels. And my price has doubled! DUH!!!!!

Voom would still be showing the same stuff from 4 years ago and we still have the other channels plus if few more I like. Also I am still paying the same price.

Okay folks. Lets keep the voom conversation in the Voom thread. :)

This thread is about local channels through Dish Network. Voom never carried local channels so there is no "in" that way either.

See ya
Tony

Baton Rouge is about to have a big problem with Dish network. The abc affiliate has been off of dish since March and now come 1-1-09, the nbc, fox and cw is saying they will be off of dish, if they cant come to an agreement. If that happens, that would leave only the cbs affiliate, and people will be screaming about their locals. Plus, Directv now has the big 4 locals in HD. If dish doesnt get this straightened out, a bunch of subs will switch. Nowdays, you must offer the locals, and only offering cbs (in sd at that) is not going to cut it.

http://www.nbc33tv.com/home/related/36378124.html

Okay folks. Lets keep the voom conversation in the Voom thread. :)

This thread is about local channels through Dish Network. Voom never carried local channels so there is no "in" that way either.

See ya
Tony

Voom DBS was smart with having a great OTA program, free antenna and excellent tuner epg. Looking at my new dtv coverage things will only get better. Wish we weren't wasting so much sat space on all these LOLs.

I see that Viacom is about to pull all its channels from TWC due to a money dispute. Everyone wants more money now that ad revenues have dried up. If all the DBS and cable co. are smart they'll gang up and refuse these extortion attempts. There may be a short term advantage to having something your competition doesn't, but eventually you'll be paying the higher cost yourself. If these locals succeed in getting 30 cents per sub, $10 locals will be upon us sooner than I ever thought would be the case.

yeah this is an industry-wide issue. The networks are seeing a cash cow in the delivery operators (satellite OR cable) and are putting the squeeze on. The problem is that we, the consumer, get to feel the pinch because the delivery operators will have to pass along the increased cost of doing business. I don't like the idea of price increases on my satellite bill, but is it really E*'s fault? Or Time Warner's? Or D*'s fault?

No.

This is because the various networks have an inflated perception of self worth. They're getting too big for their britches. I think the satellite companies and cable companies SHOULD drop them when they play this game. They have increased viewership BECAUSE of the satellite and cable companies and I believe their ad revenues are tied to the number of viewers they have.

When E* or D* or your local cable company chop channels, don't holler at the satellite or cable company. Make your feelings known to the network trying to jump on the extortion band wagon that their fee demands are going to price them out of business.

Of course you realized the key to all of this lies in the alarming rate in which people and businesses (which are just a collection of people) are re-defining the words "reasonable" & "entitlement". Combined with the un-defining" of words like "conscience" and "fairness" and you have the escalating quandary in which society now finds itself - the age of the rip-off - which is also being redefined as "bailout". Now I suppose you-know who will want equal time.

These network groups need to get rid of some these useless channels. Quit all the repeats, it seems like every single show now has a channel devoted to it. I personally don't see the need for 5 versions of MTV or VH1.

My opinion with the local channels asking for more money is i dont think this should be up to the local TV station on what they can charge Dish or any other provider. I think this should be up to the NETWORK station like abc nbc cbs and fox and/or what ever else is in your local package that is wanting more money. I think the Networks should determine how much each local affiliate gets. I know it had been said dish and any other provider dont really make alot of money providing locals to me its you have to take a loss somewhere to get customers because if you dont have the channels people want then they will go somewhere else. Just like here where i live dish only provides me with SD Locals but Directv can offer me HD locals most people will go to Directv just because they have the HD. I have been with dish for years i am sure i will get HD locals here eventually. So since i am VERY happy with dish i will say there.

I can't believe KTEN is deleting comments. That is pretty slimy... I want to see them run a news report on that!

I saw the same thing with another station in this area. They kept deleting comments and then finally changed the page where you couldn't comment at all and had about 10 hand picked quotes in its place.

TNGTony ...

THERE= a place. not here - THEIR= belongs to them - THEY'RE = short for "They Are". example: They're over there with their friends.
THEN = a point in time; not now. - THAN = used to compare things. example "Better then than now."
-If you tried 4 times to move forward, it was the FOURTH time you went FORTH! ---Something AFFECTS you. You have an EFFECT on something
Some one can win MEDAL made of a METAL like gold for showing his METTLE (courage)
If something is LOOSE you might LOSE it.

In your signature, please add "Your and you're". All you mentioned have been pet peeves of mine for years!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)