Dish Add Placing in Programming

gpflepsen

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
SE NE
I'm watching Justified from 3/4/14 off the Hopper on the following day. At about the 20 minute mark into the recording, Dish adds for referrals, iPad, etc are running. I hit the 30 sec. skip button about 6-8 times before I get past them. I thought it was odd Dish had almost 4 minutes of commercials in there. I skipped back to see what was all presented. They had disappeared! I went back to the beginning of the commercial window and scrolled through at 4x and they weren't there. I went backwards at 4x and they weren't there. I went forward to just past the "Cosmos" commercial, where I'd seen them before, and they weren't there. I let the whole commercial block run and they popped in again.

WTH is going on? Anyone else ever notice this before?

I timed the Dish block right after "Cosmos" and it ran for a minute.

I stepped back to just at the end of the "Cosmos" block, and a different set of commercials run, something tax and Auto Trader for a minute, then Archer promo.

I am watching Justified as I type, I am 40 minutes into and none of the commercials you mentioned, DISH or otherwise was on my recording. At the 20 minute mark was 3D rise of the Empire, Allstate, Victoria's Secret, Verizon, Nokia, Kia, Dyson, Subway, FX movie "In Time", Saint George. That said, it has been discussed in other threads that DISH can insert their own ads just as Cable can at times given to them for that.

No Cosmos? My programming is coming off the eastern arc. It was the commercial block right after Eva got her arm busted. First commercial was for "The Americans", followed by Meineke and the "Noah" promo, then Subaru "They Lived". Then Trident...

Dish has been doing this for at least a year, probably longer, actually. I thought you only see them during live TV though and as you experienced, if you rewind, they're "gone" and you see the original commercial.

Sent from my d2lte using Tapatalk

Well that's at the 40 minute mark into the recording. There it appears to be what you saw, minus the DISH ads. The Americans, Meineke, Noah, Suburu, Trident, Olive Garden, Burger King, Cosmos, Signature Tax, Auto Trader, Archer.

20 minutes in, 40 minutes left :) I always realized Dish inserted their own ads, but they seemed to be laid over the network's feed, and that ad which was "removed" shows up and is recorded anyway. That is the strange thing.

Was just watching Big Bang Theory on TBS and there was a Dish (internet, I think) commercial. Rewound it and there was (3) other commercials as I rewound and then played it back.

Sent from my d2lte using Tapatalk

I wonder if the dish ads are held on the hard drive and are just cued up to play when they are signaled.

20 minutes in, 40 minutes left :) I always realized Dish inserted their own ads, but they seemed to be laid over the network's feed, and that ad which was "removed" shows up and is recorded anyway. That is the strange thing.

Negative, not for me. 40 minutes in, with 20 minutes left. 20 minutes in is the other list of commercials I posted.

I don't watch Justified anymore, but as Hall said, nothing new. I see that spot on on other channels. It's just another commercial.

I always realized Dish inserted their own ads, but they seemed to be laid over the network's feed, and that ad which was "removed" shows up and is recorded anyway. That is the strange thing.

I wonder if the dish ads are held on the hard drive and are just cued up to play when they are signaled.

That may be how they're doing it and it makes a lot of sense. If basically overlays them on-the-fly and that's also why if you rewind, for example, you'll see the original commercial.

It may not be a coincidence we got an 8 minute update downloaded about Justified a few days ago.

It's not intended to happen during a show, but I have experienced an ad appear a few times as soon as I stopped recording. So in this sense the Dish ad for referring a friend to Hopper to get $50 and an iPad Mini interrupted where the show should be. It also happened in the middle of the credits to a movie on EPiX which was more odd since those premium movie channels never have Dish commercials and certainly not in the middle of movie credits. The inserted ads are always in SD and never in HD. If you happen to notice an ad interrupting the program, just rewind the live TV back and you will see the actual ad which is running. Usually it will be a different Dish ad. I found that many of the advertisements concerning free HBO and Cinemax for last weekend were replaced with these 'Refer a friend to Hopper and get an iPad Mini' ads. They also will not show up in your saved recording. The recording will have either nothing or the intended ad.

I guess that's why I have never seen them. I never watch live, only recorded.

They show up in the recorded versions (I'm 99% positive) but they behave as carpexnoctem described them - if you rewind, you'll see a different commercial.

It happened last night near the end of Dangerous Catch. They inserted an ad while the actual program was still running. I had to rewind to see what I missed due to the ad!

They show up in the recorded versions (I'm 99% positive) but they behave as carpexnoctem described them - if you rewind, you'll see a different commercial.
That's odd. They must have an agreement because you'd think the channel gets paid based on the commercials they get to show, and if Dish is preempting commercials with their own, you'd think there would be issues with that. Of course, this is likely just a test run for user based commercial advertisement targeting.

Which I personally would welcome with open arms. If I have to see another commercial about mesothelioma or the latest and greatest class action lawsuit about a hip, mesh, or drug treatment, I'll go bonkers.

Yes, there is (or must be) an agreement, something along the lines of allowing them to insert "x" minutes of their own commercials per program. It's been mentioned in other threads that Directv and cable companies do this as well.

What really odd is that some people want to skip all ads and some people search for extra ads,
Talk about diversity... :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

That's odd. They must have an agreement because you'd think the channel gets paid based on the commercials they get to show, and if Dish is preempting commercials with their own, you'd think there would be issues with that. Of course, this is likely just a test run for user based commercial advertisement targeting.

Which I personally would welcome with open arms. If I have to see another commercial about mesothelioma or the latest and greatest class action lawsuit about a hip, mesh, or drug treatment, I'll go bonkers.
Most of the time the ads Dish is preempting are their own. They always preempt with the same ad, the "Refer a friend to the Hopper from Dish and get $50 and an iPad Mini" one. If you are watching live television and you notice this ad running in SD while watching HD, rewind back and view the true ad. Usually it is the Hopper vs. Genie "mirror, mirror on the wall" ad or an announcement of movies playing in Dish Cinema being overridden and the week leading up to free HBO and Cinemax, they preempted their own announcements of the free preview for some reason. On a few rare occasions the ad being replaced is not a Dish ad but a lawsuit or medical advertisement as you described but I have only observed this in the early morning hours. In the cases where the ad broke into actual programming such as the end credits of a movie or show being recorded, it thankfully does not exist as part of the saved recording. To be specific, I witnessed the "Refer a friend to Hopper" ad interrupt the end credits to Texas Chainsaw on EPiX once. There have been two instances on Cartoon Network where an ad got inserted between programming where no commercial break belonged, such as an episode of Uncle Grandpa transitioning directly into another episode.