DISH and 4K

I'm not talking about the assembly part....
Anytime else, during transport especially, the TV should remain in a verticle orientation at all times.

Important: Never transport or store you plasma TV lying down. Always transport or store it upright attached to its stand or in its original packing materials if available. Protect the screen with a blanket or some other large piece of soft material if the original container is not available.

I see 4k as being a gimmick like 3d tv's are. The jump from standard def to high def was a noticeable improvement.
I just dont see 4k tv's taking off as fast as hd tv's did.

4k will be a big hit... Just like the over compressed HD channels finally gave us picture quality that was at least as good as C-Band SD, over compressed 4k will finally give us a picture that full HD was supposed to deliver.

Some people will never care about picture quality, I remember sitting in the waiting room at the doctors office watching a horrible fuzzy channel and some guy was telling me how good the HD looked on the TV, it was an SD feed of CNN stretched
to fill the screen and it looked like crap. Me I want TV that looks almost the same as if I were looking out a window and 4K brings us closer. imagine in the future when you can frame a large TV like a window and play video from anywhere in the world and have the same views as the most expensive homes.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I see 4k as being a gimmick like 3d tv's are. The jump from standard def to high def was a noticeable improvement.
I just dont see 4k tv's taking off as fast as hd tv's did.
I agree. At least 3D added another "dimension", 4K is just a hope that we'll finally get something approaching full HD.

I predict that in the next 3 -4 years you will only be able to buy 4K televisions.

This is not a fad like 3D was.

My only wondering is how far is it until we see 8K.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

My dad has worked at a tv repair shop, since I was a little boy. Ever since plasmas came out, their number one issue had always been the plasma "leak" from either being laid wrong, or mishandled in general. Every single one of those guys in that shop, all say the same thing. Don't buy a plasma. They are a PITA, and until recently, more expensive anyways. They used to have the PQ to sway people, but nowadays LED I think looks better, and isn't as sensitive. I'm not gonna say which company he works for, but it is one of the biggest rent to own companies in the country.

I have been selling TVs for years and I have never had an issue with anything you said. I would agree with you on them being a PITA to repair, my service man hates repairing them but not do to leaks. I have laid TVs on their sides, the front and back with zero issue. My living room TV has been a plasma for 8 years. I have yet to see an LED match the PQ and colors a plasma provides, without spending twice as much that is.

The only repairs I've seen on any new TVs have been with power supplies, panels and types of sustain boards. This is generally due to power surges.

Reactions: lakebum431
I predict that in the next 3 -4 years you will only be able to buy 4K televisions.

This is not a fad like 3D was.

My only wondering is how far is it until we see 8K.
By then, I won't need to watch pay TV anymore. I'll have everything collected I'll ever need to watch. Ironic is the inverse relationship between video quality and content quality. :)

Reactions: TheKrell
Well, its the very high end (and most expensive) LCD's that do rival Plasmas for PQ. However, I'll be so glad when LCD is gone and OLED is the new standard (all its problems having been or close to solving now). Also poor handling or laying large panel HDTV's in the manner ChadT41 has pointed out do, indeed, cause cracks and otherwise resulted in problems or just ruined the display. This doesn't happen 100%, but when someone does it, they taking a pretty high risk. If one has never seen this, they they are fortunate or having it lay improperly was for only brief moments.

Reactions: ChadT41
I have been selling TVs for years and I have never had an issue with anything you said. I would agree with you on them being a PITA to repair, my service man hates repairing them but not do to leaks. I have laid TVs on their sides, the front and back with zero issue. My living room TV has been a plasma for 8 years. I have yet to see an LED match the PQ and colors a plasma provides, without spending twice as much that is.

The only repairs I've seen on any new TVs have been with power supplies, panels and types of sustain boards. This is generally due to power surges.

I've got to completely agree with this and add to it. I buy salvage TVs for parts. Some of these have been tossed around, put in piles, damaged in every way imaginable. Despite all of this, I find that unless the plasma panel has been shattered, I can typically find the bad part, replace, and the TV turns right on and looks perfect. In fact, other than dropping one I tend to think the plasmas are more durable. You can't damage the screen on a plasma from simply brushing against it or touching the front. Much better to have if it sits low in your room and you have kids. And as far as picture quality, I would have nothing but a plasma myself as my main TV. I have a 55" 1080p Panasonic Plasma and I challenge anyone's TV on the picture quality.

Reactions: whatchel1
The reason why plasma sales have plummeted is due to rumors such as the ones stated above. I'll have a customer come in and say they really like the TV and the price and then I tell them it's a plasma. They then tell me that they don't wan't it and want to stay away from plasmas. I ask why and they nver have a good reason other than someone told them not to because they leak gasses or don't last as long. The only downfalls I've seen with plasmas are the fact that they have a more reflective screen and they use a little more energy.

Since the vast majority of households have made the transition to flat panel hdtv's in the last decade, people will be hesitant to invest in switching to 4k.Of course there are always people who want to be on the bleeding edge and many of them will be on forums like this.
Also, what type of bandwith is required for 4k and how does that compare to what is currently broadcast on Dish?

I suspect they're all gone by now, but a few months ago, if you walked down the aisles at Walmart, especially in front of the electronics area, you'd see big-ass TVs on sale for great prices, e.g. 60" set for $599, 50" for $399, etc. They were all plasmas....

Of course there are always people who want to be on the bleeding edge and many of them will be on forums like this.
Go over to AVS. I'll bet you there are plenty of folks there who had to have a 4K TV the day they were released. They just had to have it !!

Go over to AVS. I'll bet you there are plenty of folks there who had to have a 4K TV the day they were released. They just had to have it !!
There are also plenty of folks over there extolling the virtues of Plasma and singing the praises of the Pioneer Kuro and final generation Panasonic (which I have one of).

I remember the first big screen plasma in Sears a few years back and it cost $10,000 then.A Chinese company called Hisense is coming out with a 55 inch 4K TV for under a $1,000.The guys at CNET says that a 1080P signal looks as different as night and day when viewed through a 4K.Not really interested in it myself.Heck I still remember reading in the November or December 1983 issue of Popular Science about companies in Japan were coming out with 1.5 and 2 inch LCD portable TV's for around $300.When Radio Shack had the 2 inch LCD for $99 back in the mid 90's I purchased one out of curiosity,but the novelty wore off fast.Yep maybe 4K will succeed where 3D really never caught on in the living room.3D is great for the big screen movies.

Since the image contains 4X the information, I would suspect that it requires 4X the bandwidth. Just my speculation...
Yes and no... I believe DISH is getting up to 8 HD channels up now on one transponder using 8PSK / MPEG4 etc...

The way DIRECTV is planning on doing this is bonding two transponders together which will give them a total of 5 4K Channels.

But as compression improves I can see them doing 8 - 9 channels using two paired transponders.

Yes and no... I believe DISH is getting up to 8 HD channels up now on one transponder using 8PSK / MPEG4 etc...

The way DIRECTV is planning on doing this is bonding two transponders together which will give them a total of 5 4K Channels.

But as compression improves I can see them doing 8 - 9 channels using two paired transponders.

Dish probably can be more flexible given their use of 8PSK, and would not have to use paired TPs. Dish could for example do 2 4k channels and 3 HD channels on a single TP and give their 4k the same bandwidth of DIRECTV's 2.5 4k channels/TP.

Of course there is the problem of bandwidth, if Dish does not have the bandwidth for RSNs to be full time HD, where are they going to get a bunch of TPs do carry 4k without swapping out WA for 8PSK?

Since the image contains 4X the information, I would suspect that it requires 4X the bandwidth. Just my speculation...
Yes. But that requirement is cut in half with the new encoding, the name of which escapes me right now.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

Dish probably can be more flexible given their use of 8PSK, and would not have to use paired TPs. Dish could for example do 2 4k channels and 3 HD channels on a single TP and give their 4k the same bandwidth of DIRECTV's 2.5 4k channels/TP.

Of course there is the problem of bandwidth, if Dish does not have the bandwidth for RSNs to be full time HD, where are they going to get a bunch of TPs do carry 4k without swapping out WA for 8PSK?
Introduce the Hopper UHD utilizing the new video CODEC and start transmitting it on selected channels on WA, perhaps exclusively for the first few months. Some will swarm to it. Then they can upgrade premium customers for a small fee, then move deeper into the base, skipping the MPEG-4/8PSK middle step entirely. Heck, use the new method on HD and SD and free up tons of bandwidth.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)