Dish at lake

GregE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
Prospect, KY
Hi all,

I'm in the process of building a house at the lake. I have Dish at my current house and would like to just be able to use that at the lake instead of paying double.

What's the best way to do it? Should I get Slingbox and watch thru the internet? I'm not sure what type of internet service I will be able to get down there yet. Would DSL be good enough? Or should I find out who the installer is and get them to put me a dish up and just bring my receiver with me?

Murray KY is the city so if anybody knows who the installer is down there that may help.

Thanks

Greg

id buy simi cheap reciver like a 501 508 etc and a dish pro plus twin 500 hook up my own dish dub it threw dish as aditional reciver pay thr extra 500 bucks a month or hook up another dish bring reciver with u as you go there

OK. I hadn't thought of that idea. So I could get an additional receiver and put in the same dishes I have and just get service for $5. Sounds easier than bringing my receiver with me every time. Is it hard to point the dish? I know I could install it.

OK. I hadn't thought of that idea. So I could get an additional receiver and put in the same dishes I have and just get service for $5. Sounds easier than bringing my receiver with me every time. Is it hard to point the dish? I know I could install it.
well depends on person and location 2 install dish ive done sevarl but 2 be honest im not very good at it .. if thers alot of trees or anything in way etc could be proplem i think about 100 ft is needed if i rember right.. im gussing been 2 long.. its not real hard its time and pationets .. if u do thid i dont know how many revcivers u have now but any more than 4 to a acount they fron on .. buy dish and reciver hook up 2 home 1st call dish like u actavating as adtional reciver after all done take up lake if all goes right it be 5 amonth possibly 10 at tops but i think5

I currently only have 1 VIP722 so that won't be a problem adding one here first. I wish the EHD can hook up to more than 1 VIP722. Then I could bring that with me with some movies on it. Maybe I will do another VIP722 so I can record things down there to watch. I think finding somebody local to install the dish might make the most sense. OR I could do it myself, change my service address, then have them come fix my positioning. lol

I currently only have 1 VIP722 so that won't be a problem adding one here first. I wish the EHD can hook up to more than 1 VIP722. Then I could bring that with me with some movies on it. Maybe I will do another VIP722 so I can record things down there to watch. I think finding somebody local to install the dish might make the most sense. OR I could do it myself, change my service address, then have them come fix my positioning. lol
im not sure what your saying , but u can have more than 1 vip.. what i would do is get a cheap reciver , im saying a 501 theres no phone line charge this way or dvr fee go ebay , if u buy 1 make sure theres no money owed or its rented or balance, by calling dish with reciver/ card numbers.. i also know away u could watch movies threw internet.. i cant post it i dont think site will allow...

Putting additional receivers on your account is of course reasonable and condoned. But taking a subset of receivers to another address, while leaving them on the original account, is called "account stacking." I don't know if this is actually illegal, or just against Dish's terms of service. Anyhow, Dish wants everybody to have at least one account per address.

That said, there's nothing to prevent you from moving your service address (and presumably your receivers) from one location to another, without incurring the wrath of Dish's audit police. If you move your receivers back and forth without telling anybody, then this is at least within the spirit of the rules if not the letter.

Suppose you have multiple receivers, and you just move one of them to the lake house temporarily while you're there, and nobody is left at home to use the originals. This is getting shadier and shadier (i.e. more clearly against your TOS) and you are risking the audit police, sudden suspension of service, or surprise bills for a 2nd account.

If you leave active receivers at home and in use, while simultaneously using additional receivers at the lake house, then this is account stacking. Tsk tsk.

You mentioned one way around all this potential trouble: buy a Slingbox. Other than the cost of that and your Internet service, this is perfectly legal and condoned and does not incur additional receiver fees or risk the audit police. Plus you don't have to have LOS and additional dish antennas installed. Plus you can use it anywhere there is Internet service (not just at your lake house).

Thanks for the info. Seems like it would be ok to bring one receiver to the lake if I wasn't at home using the service. I don't see the difference of that and moving my service. What do people in RVs do?

I don't want to go against the rules. I'll check with Dish and get clarification just to make sure. Slingbox is an option at least but I'm sure not as good of a picture as my HD.

Agree on moving equivalency. (Don't know if Dish will agree with us, though.)

Some folks swear by the Slingbox Pro HD which IIRC streams at 1280X720. (I don't own one, but the stills I've seen look pretty good.)

You mentioned the EHD option above... These do work on multiple VIP receivers on the same account.

I think people with RVs have a special account designed for RVers. No, just searched on Dish Network website and found only "Mobile Service", which is enabled on one receiver only, and which costs $20/yr. This allows you to order up to 9 PPV events without being connected to a phone line.

Dish now has a snowbird policy. They will install the dish at your second home and you can just take your receiver back and forth with you. They even change your locals to either location. Call them and ask, they installed mine for free and no additional monthly charges.

Dish now has a snowbird policy. They will install the dish at your second home and you can just take your receiver back and forth with you. They even change your locals to either location. Call them and ask, they installed mine for free and no additional monthly charges.

I actually chatted with them yesterday and found out about this. You are correct. They told me to do DishMover so I could get the dishes installed. I will still need to get a 2nd receiver since I only have 1 and would rather leave it connected. I can't decide on whether I like the idea of locals moving or not. I almost would rather them just stay at my primary residence so my network shows continue to record there. Maybe I should just not move my locals. I wonder if I can pick up my primary locals at the lake. Hmmmm.

You mentioned the EHD option above... These do work on multiple VIP receivers on the same account.

Great news. I was thinking it was tied to the equipment and not the account. This is just getting better and better.

I actually chatted with them yesterday and found out about this. You are correct. They told me to do DishMover so I could get the dishes installed. I will still need to get a 2nd receiver since I only have 1 and would rather leave it connected. I can't decide on whether I like the idea of locals moving or not. I almost would rather them just stay at my primary residence so my network shows continue to record there. Maybe I should just not move my locals. I wonder if I can pick up my primary locals at the lake. Hmmmm.

Great news. I was thinking it was tied to the equipment and not the account. This is just getting better and better.

Technically, your receivers need to go with you when you move to the new service address. You're not supposed to have one at each location because someone could be using the one at the home home while you're using the other at the vacation home. That is account stacking from their point of view. On the other hand, the only way you'd get caught is if they happened to audit you while you were at the vacation home. If you only really need one receiver, why pay extra for another, just tote the one back and forth.

If you only really need one receiver, why pay extra for another, just tote the one back and forth.

2 reasons. First, it's in a cabinet and would be a PITA to unplug everything and remove it. Second, I'd like the one I have now stay so it can continue to record my shows. I actually would bring the other one back and forth and probably add a TV to my bedroom here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)