DISH Buying TIVO?

And exactly, why would TiVo want to be bought? They are on the verge of a huge licensing deal.
True...but if E* were make an offer with enough donuts (lots of zeros) then Tivo's leadership should recommend the offer be accepted by its shareholders. Offhand, I have no idea how Tivo is structured or who its major shareholders are...but everyone has their price in a business relationship.

if this is true then say goodbye to directivo :wave. i was hoping for an option like the directivo that may be better than the s*** i have right now.

And exactly, why would TiVo want to be bought? They are on the verge of a huge licensing deal.

That may be true, but what are the long term prospects for the company. The licensing of the patent if they ever get it resolved with multiple companies will last them until the patent runs out.

What business will want to do business with TiVo after this expires?

Tivo faces a rapidly declining user base, 7.5 years from now after the battles, no company will want do business with them.

Echostar/Dish buying them could offer reasonable licensing terms and competative products that TiVo has not seemed to be able to deliver. Echostar may be able to establish long term viability.

Why did Motorola/SA/Dish/DIRECTV all come out with their own boxes when at the time TiVo had a superior product? It was the terms TiVo wanted for their technology.

Dish/Echostar can indeed buy TIVO since all they need to do is roll up to TIVO with a dumptruck full of money, and as I said in another post I think it's a good move. However, I wonder if Direct or Comcast will sit on the sidelines or will they deem it in their best interests to not allow Dish to buy TIVO?
If it's determined TIVO is receptive to a takeover, they could make competitive bids at the very least driving up the purchase price.

my completely off the wall guess is they'll have to offer at least 30 bux a share to get it.. if not 35 for them to take the offer seriously.. hmmm.. might be a good time to buy some tivo shares.. lol

Because Tivo's business model is a failure. They've never made a profit from operations. And it is exceedingly unlikely they ever will. Their patent portfolio has some value, esp since the PTO seems determinedly brain dead.

It is, and always has been, about the money. They NEED to be bought out in order to come out in the black for their stockholders. Time is against them, especially if the patent wars continue.

I am pretty sure you can't buy/sell your own stock in anticipation of big news. There are specific rules and windows that you're allowed to do so.

Correct, these are called blackout periods. If you are acting on information that is not yet public then you can be convicted of insider trading.

Well, you wouldn't sell NOW, if you have a takeover planned, would you? ( and you will lose thousands of dollars)

Apparently this is a rumor, and if anything is going to happen the CEO knew nothing about it at the time he was going to sell.

Looks like he sold based on the bump up from the court ruling. (or his wife needed a new lakehouse) :)

ego

My guess is that like Dish and Echo, Tivo is controlled by one, or a small group of people. It may be a matter of personal chemistry, and ego, as much hard business calculations that will determine the possibility of a buyout or settlement!

Well, you wouldn't sell NOW, if you have a takeover planned, would you? ( and you will lose thousands of dollars)

Apparently this is a rumor, and if anything is going to happen the CEO knew nothing about it at the time he was going to sell.

Looks like he sold based on the bump up from the court ruling. (or his wife needed a new lakehouse) :)

Nope, I would have waited to get the elevated price Charlie would have to pay to buy me out...

A lot of times when a CEO decides to sell stock he has to make the decision in the prior quarter (and file the papers). This is the end of the quarter, so it is possible he started the at the end of December.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts