Dish = class act ... seriously

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
I called today to terminate my account as I've moved to DirecTV.
I have to say that I was sad to leave E* and the folks I spoke to on the phone were very understanding, extremely courteous, and just all around great about the situation.

I've never had a beef with E*'s CSRs. I've always been taken care of very well for the last.... oh 13 or 15 years or something around there.

They even waived my ETF because we've been a customer in good standing for so long (I had about 10 months left on the latest commitment). And told me, "If you find that DirecTV isn't all you thought it would be, we'd love to have you back."

THAT, ladies and gents, is a class act.

I do not intend, nor do I want this to turn into another "I left Dish" thread. There's already one of those. But I did want to mention the pleasant experience I've had with E* and their elegance in parting ways. It's been a fun ride. No regrets except that I had to leave.

They were pretty nice to me too when I left very recently. I was out of contract, so nothing to waive. No complaints whatsoever with Dish over the 3 years I had the service other than 1 tech support call that was pointless due to the lack of skill on the part of the technician. I would come back if it suited my needs/wants.

Ted

A number of years ago (maybe 5 ?), we had Dish, the 522 receiver, and just got a new HDTV. Of course, now I wanted HD service (and DVR)... At that time, the only option with Dish was the 921 or 942 -- can't recall now -- and the cost to upgrade to it was $999. Nope, not gonna happen. We had already switched to Time Warner because they'd give me an HD-DVR for $5-6/mo and the rates were 50% off the 1st year and 25% off the 2nd year because we "left" satellite. When I called Dish to cancel, I got a very polite and understanding rep who acted the same way that yours likely did. He certainly understand my desire to have an HD-DVR and understood that only a few people would pay $1000 for the privilege (?).

I also told him that I hoped in two years Dish would have something reasonably priced for HD-DVR options and when the TW discounts ran out, I'd strongly consider coming back. My concern was I would not be a "new" customer and I'd have to pay for everything. He noted my account that if I return, I'm to get all "new customer" benefits .... 22 months later, when the TW discounts were about to run out and Dish had the ViP622, I called them back and yeap, free installation, small fee to upgrade to the 622 (same fee a really new customer had to pay too), etc, etc.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your Dish Network experience and departed on positive terms - sure beats reading something along the lines of "Dish = class action lawsuit ... seriously". Anyway, other than the occasional programming dispute we were satisfied with Dish Network service...but I could no longer tolerate HD-Lite and FiOS was an option. Enjoy DirecTV! If not, I'm sure E* will welcome you back.

Dish has come a long way from refusing to return any part of your prepaid monthly bill when you terminated service. Seriously, that was (and I hope is no longer) their policy.

I had Dish several years ago for 1 year. They refused to let me out of my 1 year commitment when I found that they had only 1 of my RSN's even though they advertised that I would be able to get all my local teams' games. The missing RSN was for the Dodgers, Kings and USC football. I left exactly after 1 year to avoid any prepaid service on the books and went back to D*.

I switched to Voom when they started up and went back to Dish because they were offering most of the Voom channels when Voom went boom. They were reluctant to accept me as a new customer even though they offered a promotion for former Voom customers. They finally gave in when I suggested to them that not giving me the promotional offer was false advertising.

In the meantime, D* has sent me several promotional offers to return over the years, essentially the same as the new customer offers. With the latest Dish/Fox/MSG hassles I have been tempted to go back to D*, but the increased cost to get MLB, improved CI and RSN's was too high, since I have the best deal in TV provider service -- HD Absolute. If that goes away, then I will likely go away too. It will be interesting to see if E* aggressively tries to woo me back like D* has been doing...

For all their problems, Dish is pretty decent. Especially if you know who to talk to and are very nice. For the tech savvy, a well worded direct message to the Twitter team will get you almost anything within reason. It's when you call them raising hell that they don't want to help you. I wish I could tell the whole story of my AT&T/Verizon saga, but I won't derail this thread. Maybe I'll post that in the mobile phone forum. It will be a good read on customer service in general.

Several reasons. Loss of channels that a really watch (loss of MSG means no Sabres games and I am an avid Sabres fan). The fact that I'm saving $400 the first year with D* and about $36 the following year. The whole home DVR (really works well for how we use our equipment). As I've stated many times, there is no anger here. However we're paying for a service and if that service changes and the competition changes such that it becomes more appealing than what I had..... then it ceases to make sense to stay.

I've answewred this because it was asked twice. I would rather keep the thread. I would really prefer to keep this focused on my pleasant experience if you don't mind. :)

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)