Dish Commercials Very LOUD!

zman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Has anyone else noticed that the dishnetwork injected commercials are about 30% higher in volume than the regular commercials? I think they have always been a little louder, but in the last month or two it has really become annoying. I have a 622 reciever and anytime a dishnetwork commercial comes on I have to grab the remote and crank it down. By the way, this appears on dish's own commercials as well as a few others which I assume are injected by dishnetwork.

Maybe it has something to do with the digital audio out to my stereo, but if I dont figure it out soon I think the wife will force me to another provider (yes it is that irritating and when the volume jumps on these commercials everyone in the house can hear it).

Has been discussed to death already. Yes we know it. Use the comp limiter (volume leveler) in the 622. System Setup, Audio Output, & Enable. I think it has been added to the system recently.

Has been discussed to death already. Yes we know it. Use the comp limiter (volume leveler) in the 622. System Setup, Audio Output, & Enable. I think it has been added to the system recently.
I have a 622 and no such thing on mine. Are you sure you have a 622?

Has anyone else noticed that the dishnetwork injected commercials are about 30% higher in volume than the regular commercials? I think they have always been a little louder, but in the last month or two it has really become annoying. I have a 622 reciever and anytime a dishnetwork commercial comes on I have to grab the remote and crank it down. By the way, this appears on dish's own commercials as well as a few others which I assume are injected by dishnetwork.

Maybe it has something to do with the digital audio out to my stereo, but if I dont figure it out soon I think the wife will force me to another provider (yes it is that irritating and when the volume jumps on these commercials everyone in the house can hear it).
I noticed that when I was with Dish too but when I switched to Direct I noticed when they inject their commericals they are very low.

I have the comp limiter activated on my 722K but the commercials still come in very much louder than the programming. If I can verify that Direct TV does not do this I would consider switching.

Has anyone heard any updates on this issue? It does not seem like Dish wants to fix this.
My wife is starting to ask if we should move to DirecTV of Uverse (funny how certain things like this bother certain people - of course at times it blows so loud through the stereo you can hear the commercials upstairs).

Echostar made great claims that this would fix the problem that has existed for well over a year now. The root cause is when a commercial is injected that is only DD2.0 into surrounding content that is DD5.1. The DD2.0 inserts are at 9 db louder. The software they rolled out on the 722K failed to work as claimed. Last tyear at CES I was assured the third party solution Dish Network had contracted to resolve this would work. Obviously it didn't.

Trust me on this... It is on the top of my priority list to take this matter up with my contact at echostar at CES in January unless they get it fixed first. I don't have a 622 anymore but it has rolled out on the 722K and doesn't work at all. I'm sure they know it doesn't work so that is why they didn't follow through for other receivers.

Other information- Dolby is well aware of the problem as well and unfortunately it is not a simple fix. It has to do with needing to remux all the DD2.0 insert sources to DD 5.1 This would prevent your receiver from ever switching while on a channel. They would need to do this for each and every channel source. Not easy nor cheap. The other solution is to outlaw DD2.0 but that will never happen. Finally, you can fix it in your equipment by shutting off all Dolby digital audio. That is not a favorable solution either.

The old fashion way is a massive letter writing campaign to the offensive commercials, like Magic Jack. Tell them you hate their product because of the annoying commercials and if a speaker is blown you will attempt to seek restitution. Yes, it may sound silly from a legal angle, but trust me when the company gets this letter they will contact the tech guys and insist the audio issue be fixed or they will refuse to pay for the spot. I know about this because I was in the ad business for 20 years and that's what ad clients do. They use those complaint letters to refuse to pay for the spot.

I wish that audio limiter setting was available on the 722... this weekend I watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers on EPIX, and the dialog was way quiet requiring the volume to be set rather high, but when music started or even a phone rang, it was blisteringly loud. Watching it at night I ended-up just setting the volume to normal and turning on closed caption.

Maybe the next update to the VIP 722 will add this plus the new Dish Online menus :)

This is a little OT, but I just spent a week in Chicago at my sister's house and I used a D* HR24. One of the things I liked about it was that when you press the mute button, it muted to 1/2 the volume, if you press it again, it mutes to zero volume.

There were a few other things I liked about the HR24 but I post them somewhere else...don't want to go to far OT.:D

Ghpr13:)

This is a little OT, but I just spent a week in Chicago at my sister's house and I used a D* HR24. One of the things I liked about it was that when you press the mute button, it muted to 1/2 the volume, if you press it again, it mutes to zero volume.

There were a few other things I liked about the HR24 but I post them somewhere else...don't want to go to far OT.:D

Hmm that would seem to be a much simpler mod ... revised mutes on remotes to handle those obnoxious commercials.

samalex- Why? It doesn't work so what good will it do you?

One of the things I liked about it was that when you press the mute button, it muted to 1/2 the volume, if you press it again, it mutes to zero volume.

If I must press any button, I will press the skip ahead by 30 seconds button and zap through all the commercials and back to my program.

Echostar made great claims that this would fix the problem that has existed for well over a year now. The root cause is when a commercial is injected that is only DD2.0 into surrounding content that is DD5.1. The DD2.0 inserts are at 9 db louder. The software they rolled out on the 722K failed to work as claimed. Last tyear at CES I was assured the third party solution Dish Network had contracted to resolve this would work. Obviously it didn't.

Gee Dish, how about turning down the volume level on your insertion equipment 9db??? :rolleyes:

samalex- Why? It doesn't work so what good will it do you?

If I must press any button, I will press the skip ahead by 30 seconds button and zap through all the commercials and back to my program.

Yeah, but if you are watching live TV, you can't skip though the commercials...I think this is a nice added feature.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)