Dish cust may switch, but has ?s

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jaschier

SatelliteGuys Family
May 3, 2005
I am a current E* sub, and employee but will be resigning soon, which means I'll lose my $31.99 monthly "free programming credit", so I'll probably switch to D*. I have some questions though before switching.

I qualify for Roanoke VA locals, I believe I need a 'triple lnb' dish? Something similar to E* superdish? Does that mean my locals will come from an FSS be less powereful of a signal? I know Dish's superdish customers experience more sig loss probs than dish500 customers, because of the type of dish/sig/lnbs.

I would need 3-4 rooms, but don't want to pay an extra 5-10 bucks/month for additional outlet fees. Right now I have a 522 with s-video to my main tv, and coax split my other tv's because we are rarely ever in more than one room at a time, and just have a uhf remote for each room. Does Directv have a dvr, tivo brand or not, than is uhf so I can buy multiple uhf remotes for multiple rooms?

I know the product line for dish, and I love my 522. I am looking for a similar model rec for D*, where I can have s-video and audio to my main tv and split coax's to other rooms. Also, b/c the 522 has 2 tuners, I can record 2 things and watch either one, record one thing and watch anything else (i keep it in single user mode). Also, its uhf compatible. Can someone suggest which equipment I would want or ask for?

Can anyone tell me what features are different for D*? I know with E* I can change my guide to all subs, all chann, favorites list, i have caller id, etc. what features are different for D*?

What type of warranty is there? with dish if its direct, 90 install warr and if you purchase, 1 year equip and after 90 days of install, cust has to pay for s/h. after 90 day install, service call is $99 or $29 w/ dhpp warranty, which you can add/remove anytime you want. for retail install it depends on retailer. how is any of that different?

I may/may not want to sign up for sunday ticket, depends on whether i will have to work sundays. When is the best time to sign up? I will possibly be signing up late July, but if new promos or i should wait for better promos I can wait till Aug/Sept. What kind of promos are out there now or should I wait? I'll probably get the total choice plus and add the sports pack. (do I have to do that just to get 1 rsn? right now with dish top120 or higher i get csn-ma). Maybe starz/hbo.

Thanks for all the input for anyone who responds, I have been extremely disappointed with E* and Charlie's attitude towards sports, the monthly credits were the only thing keeping me with them. Anyone in the Roanoke DMA please let me know how often you lose sig. I barely lose sig ever, only in the heaviest of rainstorms, maybe 6 times in the 13 months being a subscriber.

**I don't have the money or capabilities for hd anytime soon, so that won't be an issue here**

jaschier said:
I am a current E* sub, and employee but will be resigning soon, which means I'll lose my $31.99 monthly "free programming credit", so I'll probably switch to D*. I have some questions though before switching

coming over from the dark side , huh? congrats!!

I qualify for Roanoke VA locals, I believe I need a 'triple lnb' dish? Something similar to E* superdish? Does that mean my locals will come from an FSS be less powereful of a signal? I know Dish's superdish customers experience more sig loss probs than dish500 customers, because of the type of dish/sig/lnbs.

IF you need a phase 3 dish for locals, it is a lot smaller than the "super dish" and all lnbs are dbs , as long as it is peaked right (above 90) you wont get any more rain fade than you have now

I would need 3-4 rooms, but don't want to pay an extra 5-10 bucks/month for additional outlet fees. Right now I have a 522 with s-video to my main tv, and coax split my other tv's because we are rarely ever in more than one room at a time, and just have a uhf remote for each room. Does Directv have a dvr, tivo brand or not, than is uhf so I can buy multiple uhf remotes for multiple rooms?

no, buy a set of the pyramids at radio shack.

I know the product line for dish, and I love my 522. I am looking for a similar model rec for D*, where I can have s-video and audio to my main tv and split coax's to other rooms. Also, b/c the 522 has 2 tuners, I can record 2 things and watch either one, record one thing and watch anything else (i keep it in single user mode). Also, its uhf compatible. Can someone suggest which equipment I would want or ask for?

no dual tuner out with directv

Can anyone tell me what features are different for D*? I know with E* I can change my guide to all subs, all chann, favorites list, i have caller id, etc. what features are different for D*?

similar features , but done in different ways

What type of warranty is there? with dish if its direct, 90 install warr and if you purchase, 1 year equip and after 90 days of install, cust has to pay for s/h. after 90 day install, service call is $99 or $29 w/ dhpp warranty, which you can add/remove anytime you want. for retail install it depends on retailer. how is any of that different?

if you have the home protection plan, service call is zero

I may/may not want to sign up for sunday ticket, depends on whether i will have to work sundays. When is the best time to sign up? I will possibly be signing up late July, but if new promos or i should wait for better promos I can wait till Aug/Sept. What kind of promos are out there now or should I wait? I'll probably get the total choice plus and add the sports pack. (do I have to do that just to get 1 rsn? right now with dish top120 or higher i get csn-ma). Maybe starz/hbo.

wait until late july, that is when they really start the drive for promos for nfl st

Thanks for all the input for anyone who responds, I have been extremely disappointed with E* and Charlie's attitude towards sports, the monthly credits were the only thing keeping me with them. Anyone in the Roanoke DMA please let me know how often you lose sig. I barely lose sig ever, only in the heaviest of rainstorms, maybe 6 times in the 13 months being a subscriber.

as long as your dish is peaked correctly, you wont have any problems

**I don't have the money or capabilities for hd anytime soon, so that won't be an issue here**

hd wont take off monumentally until early 2007, dont sweat it

thanks for the response. I understand as long as the directv dvr which is now offered has 2 sat in cables, its pretty much a 522 in single user? also, if i wanted a second they share the dvr fee so you only have 1? also, i was reading the terms/conditions for the directv prot plan. you 'agree' to 1 year, but can cancel it anytime for a $10 fee?

I also read you asked about DirecTV having the RF signal sending capabilities that the 522 has. NO, DirecTV does not provide this because of the degradation of that RF signal; it is not up to par with standard video quality.

jaschier said:
thanks for the response. I understand as long as the directv dvr which is now offered has 2 sat in cables, its pretty much a 522 in single user? also, if i wanted a second they share the dvr fee so you only have 1? also, i was reading the terms/conditions for the directv prot plan. you 'agree' to 1 year, but can cancel it anytime for a $10 fee?

this isnt dish, there is no $10 fees here and there

jaschier said:
Cancelling Directv currently costs you about 12.50 a month for each contract month remaining unfulfilled . So if you cancelled your one year contract that has a 150 dollar termination fee 6 months early it would cost you 6x$12.5 = $75.00 dollars.

jaschier said:
thanks for the response. I understand as long as the directv dvr which is now offered has 2 sat in cables, its pretty much a 522 in single user?

A 522 which doesn't crash daily, but yes.
The "Single User" mode of the 522 is more or less a complete and total rip-off of the DirecTiVo's capabilities.

jaschier said:
also, if i wanted a second they share the dvr fee so you only have 1?

Correct. The DVR fee covers up to 8 DVRs per household.
However, each receiver beyond the first, DVR or not, carries with it the $5 extra receiver charge.

Good Luck... I just recently switched to D* and couldn't be more happier. I hated E* service and their packages. D* is the way to go for me. I like their equiment better too!! Cheers!!!

Thanks for the responses. I was reading the posts about the new D-15 dvr versus the directivo that is available now. also, the new 2 year commitment to get the free dvr (not sure whether its the directivo and directv brand). I'm not sure if I understand the 2 year agreemtn. So I can sign it and cancel anytime as long as i return the dvr unit? I could sign up for 4 months then cancel if i wasn't happy w/ no other fees? also, the total choice+ or premier free for 4 months if you sign up for NST sounds pretty good. Would I be better signing up for either rec model before August? or would I be better signing up after august?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dvr R10

r10 questions (yet another)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts