Dish dropping all RSN's (No they are not)

Maybe i'm missing something, but couldn't these sports channel disputes be resolved by separating most or all sports channels into a separate package and then let those who want to pay for them do so?

Maybe i'm missing something, but couldn't these sports channel disputes be resolved by separating most or all sports channels into a separate package and then let those who want to pay for them do so?
Sure they could, but the providers of them just as sure won't let that happen. They know that if they were in a separate tier they would get less money because to keep the revenue up they would have to charge more than what is buried in the base packages they are in now.

I suspect that at some future time, when more subscribers start moving away because the costs have risen too far, that separating them will become a real bone of contention and hopefully the cable/sat people will stand tough with them.

What you're missing is that the channel owners would never go for that. They need as many subscribers to their channels as they can get to be able to spread out the high cost among many viewers just to get down to the $5 range.

Wow - CSN Chicago is really letting it's viewers know that Dish may drop CSN. I turned on for the last 10 minutes of the Bulls pregame and the game hasn't started yet, and I have seen 3 commercials that CSN may be dropped and one promo was read on the pregame show. They had some ads last week, but nothing like they had in today's pregame.

I never realized how expensive these RSN's were until I looked it up...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/05/15/the-most-expensive-regional-sports-networks/
http://blogs-images.forbes.com/mikeozanian/files/2014/05/rsn-rights-fees.png

Approximately:
Fox Sports North - $4.65
CSN Mid-Atlantic - $4.60
NESN - $4.25
CSN Philly - $4.20
Sportsnet LA - $3.85
Root Sports Pitt - $3.70
Fox Sports Detroit - $3.55
CSN Bay Area - $3.55
Root Sports Northwest - $3.45
YES Network - $3.40
CSN Chicago - $3.25 (from Trib article)

ESPN is on average $6.04 and TNT is second at $1.44 per subscriber according to the Tribune link I posted earlier. If Comcast is looking for a 10% increase like they claim, that puts CSN Mid Atlantic over $5.00 per month - $5.06 by SNL Kagan Numbers. If it is a 40% increase like Dish is claiming, that puts CSN Mid Atlantic at $6.44.
It's one of those, "puts things into perspective" kinda things. Imagine if dish carried all those. Lol.

Sure they could, but the providers of them just as sure won't let that happen. They know that if they were in a separate tier they would get less money because to keep the revenue up they would have to charge more than what is buried in the base packages they are in now.

I suspect that at some future time, when more subscribers start moving away because the costs have risen too far, that separating them will become a real bone of contention and hopefully the cable/sat people will stand tough with them.
Ok. Makes sense. But i know i would pay more as long as it wasn't prohibitive. Directv already chargez extra for local RSNs.

I'm imagining people saying they would pay more now, but if the RSNs went to a PPV style pckage like the league pass, would they be willing to py like $300 a year just for the Comcast channels. Or just the FS channels? I know it's not that much but it would be a helluva increase

I'm imagining people saying they would pay more now, but if the RSNs went to a PPV style pckage like the league pass, would they be willing to py like $300 a year just for the Comcast channels. Or just the FS channels? I know it's not that much but it would be a helluva increase

If only 10% of the population watches an RSN, that would mean quite an increase...suppose a $4.00 RSN (that everyone paid for) was a la carte and only 10% subscribed to it, then to make the same amount, that channel would need to be $40.00 a month. And at that price, you know some of those 10% wouldn't buy it, so then you are probably looking at $50.00 to make the same amount. Crazy amount.

On CSN's ticker, they just had that CSN could be dropped Monday night. That is the first time I saw specifically tomorrow night. When the website said it could be dropped on Monday, I was thinking the contract expired at 11:59:59 tonight, and Monday at midnight they would be gone so when everyone turned in on in the morning, it would be gone.

Yawn. Sorry, I've been without the Celtics all season. Get in line at the complaint department all you want, but Dish doesn't care. My only saving grace is that.I'm a bigger NCAA fan over the NBA. I hear you Chicago fans. Your situation sucks, but sounds just like...NYC fans with Dish (PS, Yankees Suck)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

My 2 cent , If you want almost guaranteed sports go with DTV . If you want uninterrupted OTA stations , use an OTA antenna. If you want a little cheaper tv ( but need cable stations ) find the best deal. I can not stand subsidizing channels that nobody watches or sports station. But thats how the system works for now and the only choice is put up with it or cut the cord.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Yawn. Sorry, I've been without the Celtics all season. Get in line at the complaint department all you want, but Dish doesn't care. My only saving grace is that.I'm a bigger NCAA fan over the NBA. I hear you Chicago fans. Your situation sucks, but sounds just like...NYC fans with Dish (PS, Yankees Suck)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Fat Man your post helps tell the story of losing CSNNE. There has been virtually no real complaints here about losing it and I wouldn't say you sound irate. Many don't want to lose the Celtics but face it this year not a team people are clamoring to see. And there's the problem CSNNE does not offer much more than that. Drop NESN and all Bruin and Red Sox games, and their live coverage of press conferences etc... and see the outrage. CSNNE has gone downhill over the years to where it may be better to simply get the NBA league pass and not worry about.

Might be old news, but I just noticed Dish added Channel 3 (Minneapolis CBS is channel 4): CBS Corp. threatens channel removal

Channel shows the standard message about CBS threatening to remove the channel, Dish wants low prices for consumers, yada yada yada.

Might be old news, but I just noticed Dish added Channel 3 (Minneapolis CBS is channel 4): CBS Corp. threatens channel removal

Channel shows the standard message about CBS threatening to remove the channel, Dish wants low prices for consumers, yada yada yada.

yes, it's old news, in fact, we have a thread on this forum for all discussions related to the pending CBS dispute:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/cbs-owned-stations-gone-by-end-of-november.343613/

What you're missing is that the channel owners would never go for that. They need as many subscribers to their channels as they can get to be able to spread out the high cost among many viewers just to get down to the $5 range.

What most don't realize is that the RSN's are more interested in subscribers than they are in viewer's. So now they are using the viewers to try to leverage the providers into keeping up their subscribers. Does any of that make sense? I think I'm confusing myself. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts