DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

It's beyond foolish to compare what AMC is doing to CNN. CNN isn't asking for a large increase, and as has already been posted, is that really what you want to compare AMC? News channels are a different breed, I wouldn't doubt during major events they draw more than AMC, that's the nature of news networks.

Not foolish at all. CNN viewership is down by 21%. They can't get more than 400,000 viewers to tune in between 8-10PM. How many of those are DISH customers? With those prime time numbers, how can CNN garner a reported $0.54/sub/month?

You really don't see a correlation between Nicelodean and this? Being available on Netflix? It bothers other carriers, it shouldn't bother Dish?

No, I don't see the correlativity between Nickelodeon and this. DISH does not have any exclusivity agreements with the networks in question. Netflix is a sophistry at best.

You don't seem to differentiate like most of have done, how dish is handling it, and the actual dispute. Very early on most of us said and still say Dish is acting childishly in this.

Actually, I do differentiate. Which is why I can see that this is not about a carriage fee dispute.

But you don't want to think. In your facts, you don't talk about how AMC said they are worth much more than what they currently get. I'll translate that, "We want a big increase, and no you can't drop any of our other channels to make up for that increase."

Sapan's supposititious carriage fee is not relevant. Have you failed to notice that DISH has said almost nothing on the issue?

You also didn't mention Dish DID drop a major channel (locally) MSG much in the same way, they wanted alot of money and insisted on another channel being carried.

Peculiar. You, like others, chastise people for comparing viewership/ratings of CNN & AMC [etc], yet you toss in MSG, a regional sports network, as an example. Last I knew, DISH was not the only provider to DROP MSG. As I recall, Time-Warner dropped MSG in December.

As far as bundling channels goes, looks like all the networks with more than one channel will be doing it soon. ESPN, Disney, ABCFamily, etc will be next, based on a comment by Bob Iger.

I am not blind, mellow. I am also not nieve. If DISH had any intention of keeping AMC, they have had a strange way of showing it. At any rate, DISH feels you have a right to skip commercials, not choose what networks you want to watch which is why it filed its Autoskip lawsuit, in the same court that handed it a huge loss in May [brilliant, Charlie!]

Last edited:
demsd said:
DISH is in the satellite business, not the ratings business. Which is why ratings have not been an issue with AMC in the past.

Well, you are trying to split hairs. DISH never dropped FX -- FOX would not allow DISH to broadcast the channel AFTER the contract expired. Which I am sure is the same for ABC Family HD, Disney HD, Toon Disney/Disney XD HD and any other channel in question at the end of a contract. As for Smithsonian HD, its not in the Top 20.

DISH did not downgrade FX when FOX put up getwhatipaidfor.com, either.

Disney and DISH are NOT in the middle of litigation. As of today, ABC has not decided to file suit against DISH regarding the Autoskip feature.

Why don't you take your blinders off and research why abcfamily HD, espnews HD, Disney HD, etc... are not on Dish, instead of insulting peoples intelligence . Pretty sure you will find an ongoing lawsuit involved.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive

demsd said:
DISH is in the satellite business, not the ratings business. Which is why ratings have not been an issue with AMC in the past.

Well, you are trying to split hairs. DISH never dropped FX -- FOX would not allow DISH to broadcast the channel AFTER the contract expired. Which I am sure is the same for ABC Family HD, Disney HD, Toon Disney/Disney XD HD and any other channel in question at the end of a contract. As for Smithsonian HD, its not in the Top 20.

DISH did not downgrade FX when FOX put up getwhatipaidfor.com, either.

Disney and DISH are NOT in the middle of litigation. As of today, ABC has not decided to file suit against DISH regarding the Autoskip feature.

Dish and Disney are currently in court over Disney's contention that they should be paid twice for each channel (once for SD and once for HD subs, and they refuse to let Dish offer the HD version of a channel without also carrying the SD version). That's why the HD version of so many Disney properties were pulled off of Dish a few years back (with still no resolution in sight). Last I heard there was rumor of some progress in March, but that fizzled.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Well, that explains why you don't get any of what we are saying.....

TNGTony did not specify, did he? Still does not change anything. Won't be long and there will be no channels. ALL the networks WILL require the bundle. Starting with the Channels owned by Disney. Iger already eluded to that end of May.

Aren't you that guy that thinks if DISH drops AMC, the lawsuit gets dropped to?

Last edited:
Dish and Disney are currently in court over Disney's contention that they should be paid twice for each channel (once for SD and once for HD subs, and they refuse to let Dish offer the HD version of a channel without also carrying the SD version). That's why the HD version of so many Disney properties were pulled off of Dish a few years back (with still no resolution in sight). Last I heard there was rumor of some progress in March, but that fizzled.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Was not aware of that. But now that you clarified the issue, its clear that they are not the same issue. As you said, it was DISNEY that would not allow DISH to carry the HD without the SD. Not the same as DISH dropping them.

AMC is not asking DISH to carry duplicates, are they?

Why don't you take your blinders off and research why abcfamily HD, espnews HD, Disney HD, etc... are not on Dish, instead of insulting peoples intelligence . Pretty sure you will find an ongoing lawsuit involved.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive

DISH didn't drop them -- they were not allowed to carry the HD channels.

Dish Network Drops 4 Disney HD Channels - Deadline.com

Lawsuit was lost by DISH. And it was over late payments due under programming licenses, as well as the idea that Charlie thought he had the right to provide the HD channels.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/01/04/33056.htm

Now, what is this about intelligence?

Last edited:

Okay I get it now. You make a comment, I refute it, you discount your OWN comment in an attempt to nullify the point I made about your initial comment. Got it. "How to win an internet argument 101" :)

Well, you are trying to split hairs. DISH never dropped FX -- FOX would not allow DISH to broadcast the channel AFTER the contract expired.
Talk about splitting hairs! Dish stopped carrying a channel (for whatever reason) because of a contract dispute over carriage fees. So okay. Let's not count FX. How about the rest I mentioned, Hmm?

Okay I get it now. You make a comment, I refute it, you discount your OWN comment in an attempt to nullify the point I made about your initial comment. Got it. "How to win an internet argument 101" :)

Talk about splitting hairs! Dish stopped carrying a channel (for whatever reason) because of a contract dispute over carriage fees. So okay. Let's not count FX. How about the rest I mentioned, Hmm?

You don't like to be rebutted you say? :confused:

You were wrong about the HD channels too. :eek:

http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/01/04/33056.htm
http://www.deadline.com/2010/06/dish-network-drops-4-disney-hd-channels/

"EchoStar's contention that the contracts unambiguously provide that it bargained for and obtained the right to distribute all of the high definition 'feeds' of the licensed networks is ... unpersuasive, if for no other reason than the word 'feed' is not defined in the contract, and in the context presented, is not readily susceptible to one meaning," the justices wrote.

The problem is, Charlie thinks too much.

P.S. The lawsuit you mentioned is OVER. So as I said, Disney and DISH are NOT in the middle of litigation.

-----

Last edited:
:popcorn

I hate it when an interesting, exciting show gets bleeped out...ok, scratch interesting. :D

Now THAT is top-notch customer support!

I did almost the same thing. I was able to beat the crazy receiver fees by going with a cable card ($2/month). I already had an HTPC, so all I had to do was add a tuner and I was good to go. Now I have a beautiful DVR interface in Windows Media Center for almost nothing. Over all, I'm saving about $25/month for the next 2 years and getting more HD. I'm actually glad Dish dropped AMC because I'm a lot better off now in terms of cost and content. I was perfectly happy with Dish before this and wouldn't have even considered another provider.

Thanks, Charlie!

How nice of Dish to encourage customers to seek out and switch to cheaper, better alternatives!

I recorded the first 40 some episodes of Breaking Bad while I could just in case I liked it. My wife and I watched episode 1 tonight. It was quite good. I'm looking forward to watching what I assume is the first 2 years. Check it out as it appears they will be airing these first 2 years again before the end of the month.

I recorded the first 40 some episodes of Breaking Bad while I could just in case I liked it. My wife and I watched episode 1 tonight. It was quite good. I'm looking forward to watching what I assume is the first 2 years. Check it out as it appears they will be airing these first 2 years again before the end of the month.
That is all 4 years of it.

IFC and FUSE

FCC issues Cuba Spot Beam License

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)