DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

It looks like they are getting closer to removing the channels. I was looking at the channel lineup cards, and they are already removed from the lineup cards:

http://www.mydish.com/downloads/Channel-Lineup/StandardHDChannelGuide.pdf

It's easy for Dish to play hardball with many of AMC's shows have wrapped-up for the season. Of course, this tactic may backfire on them since there is a LOT of bad blood between E*/SATS and AMC/Cablevision. If Dish yanks AMC they had better be ready for a long fight. Why? If I were AMC, I would require that Dish Network make payments from May-August (assuming they renew talks prior to the upcoming fall schedule) or they will not enjoy most favored nation pricing. Otherwise, the should not agreee to negotiate a new carriage agreement until mid-season in December/January. It should be interesting to see who blinks first because there is no way VOOM is going to walk-away from their court date with E*...not unless it involved big dollars.

Yikes! Paying for the "everything" pack and not receiving everything is like a groom saying, "I'll love you for life" only for the bride to realizing that life meant until she got old or her arse grew too big for his liking. Dish needs to change the name of their everything pack...it's not the same package that I remember.

It's exactly the same package, minus the no DVR fee.

I'm not with DISH and I haven't watched AMC since they changed and went commercial (no kidding) so it wouldn't effect me, but if it's true DirecTV and the local cable companies better start adding installers because there's going to be lot of new customers for them.

I'm not with DISH and I haven't watched AMC since they changed and went commercial (no kidding) so it wouldn't effect me, but if it's true DirecTV and the local cable companies better start adding installers because there's going to be lot of new customers for them.

so true and dish will have a mass exodus if this happens

Since AMC added commercials, and quit showing the old movies, we really wouldn't miss it if it was gone.

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

According to Dish's news release, they say they are dropping AMC due to poor viewership. However, when I spoke with Dish's Customer Service and Loyalty Department about them dropping AMC I was told that AMC is one of their most popular channels. Once again, Ergen speaks with a forked tongue.

Give me a break, Non DIRT CSR's say anything.

I have heard the poor viewership term somewhere besides here.If Dish truly thinks AMC should be dropped because of that then they are crazy.It's all bs imo just a smokescreen for the real reason the lawsuit with Voom.

I sincerely hope Dirt reports this thread to Dish and perhaps maybe some of the other Dish reps have also read it.

The loss of AMC and free Sunday Ticket for new subs sounds pretty enticing.I don't care what they offer to replace AMC with unless it carries Breaking Bad,The Walking Dead,or Hell on Wheels we have no interest in it.

so true and dish will have a mass exodus if this happens

That's always the threat and battle cry every time something comes up about a channel being dropped...If it were truly the case and "mass exodus" were to truly happen like everyone promises, then Dish should be down to about 3-4 million customers (or less) not sitting at 14 million.

Let's see...no AMC, no IFC, no Sundance, no WeTV, no Disney HD, disputes with FOX, no MSG or YES in New York, constant losses of locals throughout the country because of retransmission disputes??? Exactly why do all of you sub to Dish??? It sounds like few are happy and most may be soon losing what they like to watch. I'm not saying DirecTV is perfect, but c'mon people if this does happen, I think most would admit that they are superior to Dish in most respects. I know as a D* sub, as of July 1st, I will have all of the AMC networks, and you E* subs may not. And, after this, what will the next dispute be that threatens more of your channels? Also, if you lose the AMC networks will cheap Charlie refund any money back to you? Doubt it!

That's always the threat and battle cry every time something comes up about a channel being dropped...If it were truly the case and "mass exodus" were to truly happen like everyone promises, then Dish should be down to about 3-4 million customers (or less) not sitting at 14 million.

I dunno I tend to agree with whitewolf perhaps mass exodus is a bit strong.I have been a loyal Dish customer threw thick and thin for many years and for the most part have stood behind them on these carriage disputes but not this time.Just doing a web search of Dish to drop AMC really irks me with some of the comments made by Dish.

Dish noted, however, that the "very limited popular programming" on AMC was "available to our customers through multiple other outlets such as Amazon.com, iTunes and Netflix." Currently, past seasons of "Mad Men," "Breaking Bad" and "The Walking Dead" are available on services such as Netflix but not current seasons.

That gets my goat!!I don't sub to any of those providers I sub to Dish and AT250 at $69.99 a month.One of the main channels we as a family watch is AMC.I don't feel that we should have to pay netflix,amazon,or itunes to watch reruns of shows we are paying for with Dish!Then what about others that don't have a fast web connection I suppose they are just sol.

Dish will make alternative high-value channels available to our customers as replacements.”

Now I also have to question that.If you have AT250 or the not so aptly named Everything pack just what do they plan to offer as high value replacements?There is nothing they carry that would be a replacement for AMC.

They also claim that AMC has low ratings that is an outright lie.Now WE and Sundance probably do have low ratings Ifc not sure.

Again as I see it based on the info I have read abroad Dish is in the wrong here.If they follow through with the threats then no question we will make the switch.Love Dish and the DVR's and they have been pretty good to us over the years but this would be too much.I have a feeling Dish might be surprised with the number of sub defectors this time around.

I guess it is good thatpeople have something to talk about besides the tribune d* fracas but what makes everyone so sure they are going to get a replacement for AMC?

They probably "should" be, but people are too busy, lazy, or just don't want to hassle to switch, or they're stuck in a contract.

And there are always new subs, who don't realize what they are getting themselves in to. They add up before the next Dish pratfall.....

Last edited:
No AMC HD is a major reason I left DirecTV. If Dish drops them, I'll have to go back to cable. It really makes me mad since I just re-upped for 2 years with a new Hopper. So it will cost me a couple of hundred dollars. I don't see myself going back to satellite anytime soon and getting stuck in another contract. It's a real shame since the equipment, service and price are superior. But content is king, so I have to go where the content is.

From Dish's statements so far it's a done deal. Their language left no room for negotiation. There were no conditions at all. They just stated flat out that they will drop AMC. I don't buy the ratings argument one bit.

If you're recording the new episodes of Mad Men like I am be sure to check that the guide data is still there on 130 often. If take down the data and replace it with a message about the channel being removed or moved to a different number it won't record the new episodes. I can see this being a problem for people even before they take down the channels.
Just make sure to use Dish Pass or Seek and Record timers for new episodes. No matter where the episodes end up, you'll still get them.

From Dish's statements so far it's a done deal. Their language left no room for negotiation. There were no conditions at all. They just stated flat out that they will drop AMC. I don't buy the ratings argument one bit.

Oh, C'mon! Just another PRELIMINARY P*ssing match!! What's different here, is Dish took the offensive, as opposed to the usual other way around.

Last edited:
Oh, C'mon! Just another PRELIMINARY P*ssing match!! What's different here, is Dish took the offensive, as opposed to the usual other way around.
Maybe you missed this part:
According to Dish, the satellite operator's contract with AMC ends in June "and we have decided not to renew."
You don't start negotiations with "I've already made up my mind".

They've even already made plans to replace the channels with something else:
Dish will make alternative high-value channels available to our customers as replacements.
They've said this kind of thing before, but only after the channels are gone.

Language like that says it's a done deal.

Won't miss these channels in the least. Now, what would be the "high value" replacement channels. Perhaps the same complainers may have their wish of channel additions come true.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)