DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

I know this much. No Walking Dead means one less subcriber. Dish got me with Voom and the NFL channel back in 2005, now with Voom gone and NFL on other carriers, means they will lose me as a sub. I agree AMC has only Walking Dead as the only show I will miss, but it is enough to get me on another carrier(direct, since I live in TW town). I got over Voom because HD content increased, but they cannot replace Walking Dead. As far as iTunes, It will not be there at the time of airing, that is not a reasonable answer to this problem IMO, not to mention the picture quality(maybe it just me but it is not the same).

Why stop with AMC? This big 4 networks all offer their content online and through other outlets. Hell just about every scripted show from every channel is available through other outlets. The only point he is making is that people should consider cutting the cord because the stuff you want is available other ways if you want to pay for it so why do you need Dish?

It stops there because AMC is currently up for negotiation. If AMC did not want a price hike (and was not suing Dish at the same time) Ergan would be spouting the wondrous worth of AMC channels, and what a great value they offered Dish customers by carrying them.

I know this much. No Walking Dead means one less subcriber. Dish got me with Voom and the NFL channel back in 2005, now with Voom gone and NFL on other carriers, means they will lose me as a sub. I agree AMC has only Walking Dead as the only show I will miss, but it is enough to get me on another carrier(direct, since I live in TW town). I got over Voom because HD content increased, but they cannot replace Walking Dead. As far as iTunes, It will not be there at the time of airing, that is not a reasonable answer to this problem IMO, not to mention the picture quality(maybe it just me but it is not the same).

Same here. I will stick it out until October 1st, but if AMC goes away and is not back by then, I'm calling DirecTV. The Walking Dead is the one show I am willing to switch providers over.

Your quote is incorrect. The premium movie channels are offered under the "Everything" package(which is what my sub is). And as a side note, a la carte is not really that cost effective. Example, we had the "Everything" package and wanted to lower our monthly bill. So we dropped the the package just below the "Everything" package. The son complained he couldn't watch Band of Brothers on HBO. We added HBO only. Our monthly bill then was $18.00 less than the "Everything" package. So converted back to "Everything" package. For $18.00 more we then had access to all the premium channels.

As for losing the AMC networks, personally I don't watch them. Last AMC show/movie I watched, October 2010 when they ran horror movies for the month. IFC, watch the Three Stooges once in a while, and I don't remember the year I last watched Sundance.

What I meant by a la carte is that you can subscribe to HBO (or the other movie packs) without needing any other subscription. They will charge you a $7 no package fee, but it is possible to subscribe to HBO with or without any other package. Now they do give a bundling discount for multiple movie packages or the Everything pack that makes it less than the standalone charge. Choosing to subscribe to HBO is not forced on you in any way. Now it may not be much savings dropping it from the everything pack, but you can do it and pay less. You are not allowed to do this with AMC for example. You have to buy the tier that it comes in and cannot independently drop AMC and get a lower bill.

What about on-line or DVD rentals. I have several UK series that I enjoy, but I just wait until clearance at Amazon et al. or when they issue the DVD (most cases for me), which is pretty soon after airing is complete. I don't have to watch entertainment shows (unlike live sports or news or awards shows) the moment they are broadcast. In fact, I have several TV series sitting on my DVR that I won't be watching for at least a few more MONTHS. One of these days in the summer I will finally watch "Frozen Earth" as it aired on BBC America, but in the meantime it sits on the DVR when I am ready to view. I realize some people do have to watch in NOW and talk about at the water cooler, but if that isn't someone's situation, there just isn't a difference of watching the show today or when they can stream it or rent it.

Also, I never go to movie theaters, I am HAPPY to wait until they air on the premiums like HBO, Starz, Showtiome, TMC. There just isn't a movie that can't wait until then. Of course that is me, while I have relatives who have to see the movie right away at the cinema.

However, any MVPD who decides to no longer carry a channel does so at their own peril, and I hope those dissatisfied vote by taking their business elsewhere, as that is the only thing these companies measure and understand.

Last edited:
Last season's walking dead DVDs will be out about a week before the next season starts. They have me hooked now. There is no way I will be waiting a full year after the episodes air. Again, why pay for tv when you have to search for other sources to watch your shows?

I would switch on October 1st if AMC wasn't available if I didn't just sign a new contract to get the hopper.

I only watch a few shows within a week of their airing. The only thing I watch within a day or so of airing is something like The Voice. I have several shows sitting on the dvr too, I'll enjoy them this summer when there usually isn't much on and I can watch several episodes at once without having to wait a week or more for the cliffhanger endings to be resolved. Live sports is mainly what I have satellite for now.

KAB said:
Other sources that are still going to cost you.

Exactly. I should have said why pay for dish. I'm going to be paying someone for the walking dead because there is no legal free way to get it.

Last season's walking dead DVDs will be out about a week before the next season starts. They have me hooked now. There is no way I will be waiting a full year after the episodes air. Again, why pay for tv when you have to search for other sources to watch your shows?

I understand your preference. I've waited MORE than a year sometimes before I get around to watching TV shows or I really don't mind waiting a yearat all. However, in your case, it is more important that you have an MVPD who is going to provide the channels you want because viewing episodes when the premiere is important to you, and this is a good example of the diversity of the subscribers and how Dish chooses to do business. Whenever I tell others about subscribing to Dish (as part of the Dish Club discount to me), I ALWAYS tell them that Dish is willing to drop channels far easier than almost any other MVPD (and provide examples of some really big channel drops for days or weeks), and that if that is a problem, they should go with another MVPD and NOT Dish. Most say that they are OK with that because they can watch shows "other ways," meaning on-line Hulu, Hulu Plus, Netflix, Amazon, which they pay for in the first place, anyway.

Well, I hope you have the opportunity to vote with your feet and be sure to tell Dish why so everyone's concerns are known, and they can measure the effect of their decision. However, I personally believe that IF AMC channels are no longer provided, it will only be for a matter of days, as AMC Channels losing the potential viewership on Dish is really going hurt AMC Channels much more than how it may hurt Dish because that is a HUGE drop in ad revenue for AMC and they just can't sustain that. They will come crawling back out of a pure business decision and most likely DROP the suite, and Dish may even pay a big increase in the rights to provide AMC Channels in exchange for that, IMHO.

gpollock87 said:
its dish or direct. lol

You could always go to the dark side, Direc tv!
I have them as well.
Honestly they are no better.
When dish brought me back with Voom
I truly thought they were hands down the best provider. Not anymore. Their equipment keeps them in the game.

Dish runs programming similar to restaurants in
My neighborhood of south Florida.
When you really start liking a restaurant down here, it closes.
Very similar to dish programming. Except you keep paying dish.

Those packages are still sold, you just need to pm a DIRT member or call dish. The RSN is included in Dish Silver and Dish Gold along with your locals, where available. ESPNU is not in HD so its not included.

What's HD do got to do with it? Could they be grayed out because I have an SD setup (Due to Dish not giving me the free HD equipment they advertised)? Or can you still get it if you're SD-only?

By a lot, you mean yourself. :rolleyes:

I mean myself and a ton of other sports fans (especially hockey fans) who don't like paying through the nose for our sports.

Add me to the chorus that would be switching when my current contract is up. And as that is after the Walking Dead comes back will be catching hell from my wife who has already had issues with Dish since we switched (snow outages and 722k software complications)

Exactly. I should have said why pay for dish. I'm going to be paying someone for the walking dead because there is no legal free way to get it.

You and your ilk need to stop stomping on the floor. This is NOT done deal. Save it for when it is...even then, it won't be

Hmm so Charlie says that AMC and other channels devalue their content with online offerings:rolleyes:..Thats really funny dishonline could be put into the same context not to mention they use hulu to beef the content up.And unless I'm going senile didn't Starz/Disney media threaten to sue DIsh over the free 30th anniversary?The beef was it devalued Starz/Disney content.So I guess its ok for Charlie to use the word devalue and not for anyone else?I'm not buying what he is selling this time.Charlie wants to make a point then show us some proof that it's not about the lawsuit.Show the customers what Rainbow media is asking for carriage fees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)