DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

I think where I actually get frustrated is when I encourage friends and family to use DISH, then something like this happens. It's a little embarrassing, but I suppose that happens with any provider.

I was also able to get a free Roku and free premiums. I am not happy about dish pulling AMC but I think I got a pretty good offer.

I just finished signing the closing papers on a new house yesterday. I will be moving in about 2 months. At that time I will be signing up for Directv to get AMC back and take advantage of the Free NFL Sunday Ticket offer as well as some new customer promos. However, my parents like the hopper system. They are older and wouldn't like learning new channel numbers. I will keep my current AT250 account with 2H/3J open for them and my younger sister. Before this offer from Dish I was strongly considering dropping that account, paying the ETF, and signing them up for cable or Directv as well mostly out of frustration.

I've been following the thread, but frankly, I wasn't going to miss much. I'm a huge Walking Dead fan and I would hate to miss an episode. However, I receive the programming via "other means". I still have the DVR set to record it, but I rarely watch it there because I like the commercial free version from my Seagate FreeAgent Theater HD+. Additionally, I purchased the Walking Dead Season One Blu-ray when the special edition came out. This is my practice with every thing I obtain from "other means". So, I feel like I've paid the artists for their work.

I, too, received the email from DISH. I figured it would just be a recorded message informing me about iTunes and amazon. However, when I saw folks were getting Roku's, I figured it was worth a call.

So, I called and played dumb. I denied having an XBox 360 or PS3. I told 'em I had wireless broadband internet when they asked. The CSR then described the Roku (which I already knew). He said they're mailing me one (the 1080p XD model). He also said he was giving me a $35 credit.

I have no need for the Roku, so I'll continue to use my FreeAgent Theater. The $35 credit was cool, though. I'm not one of those "what have you done for me lately" folks. I just took 'em up on a free deal and was glad to have heard about it here.

I agree, I think it's a nice customer service move on there part with the roku, but I also think it indicates at the very least we are not seeing AMC for a while

I agree, I think it's a nice customer service move on there part with the roku, but I also think it indicates at the very least we are not seeing AMC for a while
Yeah, it seems too easy. They're handing out credits and Roku's with no fuss. Seriously, I simply said, "I'm responding to an email from DISH regarding alternative ways to see the programming I'm missing following the loss of AMC." The CSR put me on hold briefly and then transferred me to the guy that made me the offer. He clearly indicated this was a free product and there was no extension of contract, etc. (I've been out of contract for years.) I can see them making these available on a case-by-case basis to those customers threatening to leave or at the very least making a fuss. But, in my case, I just respectfully and calmly inquired. I'm probably just being naive, but that practice would seem to be quite costly as compared to whatever AMC was expecting for a contract.

I got a Roku, but no credit. Oh well. I've only had this account since October. And, I upgraded to a Hopper system in March.

I still thiunk it's mighty thoughtful of them to offer to compensate their customers for this loss.

But, I also think it shows they never intended to truly negotiate, and were planning to drop these channels for good, all along.

Yeah, it seems too easy. They're handing out credits and Roku's with no fuss. Seriously, I simply said, "I'm responding to an email from DISH regarding alternative ways to see the programming I'm missing following the loss of AMC." The CSR put me on hold briefly and then transferred me to the guy that made me the offer. He clearly indicated this was a free product and there was no extension of contract, etc. (I've been out of contract for years.) I can see them making these available on a case-by-case basis to those customers threatening to leave or at the very least making a fuss. But, in my case, I just respectfully and calmly inquired. I'm probably just being naive, but that practice would seem to be quite costly as compared to whatever AMC was expecting for a contract.

Yea I wonder what Scott's thoughts are on the roku give away today?

I just got the deal through loyalty. My contract expired in May.

Oh, BTW I was looking at switching to Comcast over the last few weeks. This will make me a bit more content (at least for 12 months :))

it has been decided, if we get the following offers without a contract extension, we will stay:

1.) $10 off for 12 months
2.) roku
3.) Multisport pack

I just called Dish and asked about the free Roku offer, they turned me down, but did give me free HD for life ( no autopay or 99.00 fee either) and 5.00 a month off of the Blockbuster package for 6 months!

satjay said:
Nice that they are doing that for us newer subs as well, wasn't thinking they would :)

I agree. They have us by the.....well you know. Very nice move to keep subs happy.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I can't see the idea of telling a co-worker (or anyone for that matter) that not getting one channel is an "embarrassment".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts