Dish / Gannett Dispute Settled! No Channel Removals!

I just sent a very pointed letter to my local Gannett station. Basically, I told them they had better knock it off or they will lose a viewer permanently. I can get OTA locals from another DMA easily, also ABC has all their shows online a couple of days later anyway.

I did a similar thing, but pointed out that I would watch OTA just long enough to compile a list of local advertisers, then contact those advertisers directly and let them know that I would not being doing business with them so long as they advertised on the local Gannett station.

I did a similar thing, but pointed out that I would watch OTA just long enough to compile a list of local advertisers, then contact those advertisers directly and let them know that I would not being doing business with them so long as they advertised on the local Gannett station.

ZING! That's your answer guys, you should ALL be contacting your local stations that are pulling this crap, and tell them the above.

That just might get their attention, if nothing else does. Vote with your money, that's all they care about anyway, but you have to do it in numbers, or they'll just blow it all off.

Last edited:
since nobody has posted about it I assume they are still up?
I know KARE11 keeps saying midnight CDT but so does a couple East coast cities ;)

Conflicting stories... the WMAZ web site says midnight, but a story on their front page says 2 AM eastern time. I'm not interested enough to stay up until then, so I guess I'll see in the morning.

So...it is midnight oh one here in Spotsylvania, VA. WUSA9 is still on the air via Dish, but I am betting that during my 1:30AM update, it will go bye-bye, since the dispute is still not resolved. I am actually with Dish on this, BUT, here is what this has got me thinking about. I pay somewhere around $140 per month, give or take a few bucks, for Dish programming. Out of all the channels available, we watch only twenty to thirty shows throughout all seasons consistently enough to call them must haves. Out of those shows, only three or four cannot be watched via Netflix, Amazon, iTunes, or some other online medium. Even paying for full seasons of those shows, I would come nowhere close annually, to paying as much a la carte, as I do currently paying for Dish, or than I would for ANY OTHER provider's services. I have Dish, because after trying Comcast and Direct TV, Dish's hardware and software showed as vastly superior. But, and here is the thing....I just do not need the all too frequent headaches of carriage disputes or whatever they are...from any provider. Especially if I can spend so much less money by paying for and watching only the shows in which I am truly interested. I just signed another two year contract for the privilege of using Hoppers, but, if there is any way to get out of this contract without losing my ass, I am seriously considering it. And, in two years when my husband retires from the military and we have to drastically reduce our bills, we will definitely be cutting Dish. We will have to at that point. We will need every dollar back into our pockets just to pay for retiree healthcare. So, if anyone here knows how to get OTA started, or can point me in the right direction to learn, I am curious. I am old enough to remember growing up with a roof antenna, but young enough to have had cable ever since I joined the military and moved out on my own. Will those flat indoor antennas that I sometimes see advertised on Daily Steals work? Does an indoor antenna have to have an outdoor component? And finally, anyone know how to cancel a two to three month old Dish contract and not pay a whopping fee?

Also if I were writing a contract for dish I would build in some time for the take down to become affective. In other words the contract expired at midnight but I would give myself 24 hours to make it effective. We know dish has a few QA steps and if something fails you don't want to be in breach of contract because of a simple human error.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

meStevo said:
That's hardly blackmail, it's their last chance to tell their side before they're gone outside of press releases which will reach a much smaller audience. Most will only care about when it's coming back.

Surprised at how pro-DISH this thread is compared to others. Even DISH said that a 200% increase would be the market rate - so they've been underpaying for some time - and that they're asking for a 300% increase of of some figure we don't know. The answer naturally lies somewhere in the middle.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
It's not a matter of underpaying. At the time of the last contract that was the market rate. Over the last couple of years that rate has increased. Now Gannett will (would) get the new market price. When the contract comes up again they may be behind at that time and get another increase...and so and so on.

I just posted a comment on the 13wmaz.com story about this:

Final few minutes of WMAZ being available on DISH Network... here's my thought...

Good riddance.

And here's why... I'm not willing to pay more money to watch ONE television show a week. The Amazing Race is available for free and legally on cbs.com.

Many of you are aware of my thoughts on the "chief meteorologist" at WMAZ... for those who're not, I'll just say that, eventually, someone is going to be seriously injured or worse for trusting WMAZ for severe weather information.

I have a TV antenna... and my DISH Network DVR would quite happily record the free, over the air signal. And I'd still skip the commercials.

My wife told me today not to bother running cable to the other TVs so those could see the over the air signal from WMAZ... she's accustomed to watching the news and weather in the morning from WMAZ... but she said she'd rather just watch WGXA.

Dish / Gannett Dispute?

It's not a matter of underpaying. At the time of the last contract that was the market rate. Over the last couple of years that rate has increased. Now Gannett will (would) get the new market price. When the contract comes up again they may be behind at that time and get another increase...and so and so on.

Of course keep on mind a 200% increase is what *DISH* is calling the market rate...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts