Dish HD Locals

Wished I knew. I only get asked this 8 - 10 times per week (the amount of HD installs I do, LOL)

In the meantime, try using a quality OTA for the HD locals. Depending on where you live, you may find the quality to be better than anything that is offered by cable or satellite. Or in my case, I'm actually pulling in Youngstown and Cleveland HD locals, since both are about the same distance from my home.

I am about 45 miles from Cleveland, per antennaweb.org. Any suggestions on a good antenna that I dont need to mount on my roof, as my wife would kill me...

If you have an attic. I would get the largest outdoor antenna you can fit inside your attic. I have mine mounted in mine and I am 75 miles from the actual antenna farm where my 3 big networks are at. I get 2 in loud and clear the 3rd not so much. That will change when the digital switch occurs and they can then broadcast at full power. They are at 50% output now to not interfere with a station in lawton, ok. Plus if you have a strong storm and the sat feeds go out you still have OTA to fall back on. Plus you get sub channels

I'm thinking of this very thing, at the moment. I'm in the Grand Rapids area of MI, and not getting my locals in HD is a nasty thing, after having them with Comcast for years now. And, worst of all, Dish doesn't even have one major local channel in it's "locals", that televizes Piston and Tiger games. So, I guess I have no choice, but to seek an alternative.

So, I used the AntennaWeb link, and I gotta admit, it's a bit perplexing. I spotted a few CraigsList ads for indoor HD antennas. One TERK and one Phillips. I assume these are not what I want, being some of the stations I'd need are in the green color code area? AND, worst of all, the aforementioned local that Dish doesn't carry, WXSP, is in the purple color. I don't get that. It's very close, but it's in the farthest range.

The most confusing element is that it's saying I'd need some super duper, amplified rooftop antenna. Firstly, that's not going to happen on my roof. It is WAY up there. The attic is a possibility. Wiring it through there is another matter........ But, anyhow, I believe it also says that I shouldn't use this antenna for the stations that don't need it? Oversignal, or some such thing. Is that saying I'd need multiple antenna setups? Seems crazy, but that's how I read it. Makes sense I guess, as I know if your CATV signal is too strong, it messes up your picture, too.

Anyhow, any pointers? My zip is 49301.

I'm thinking of this very thing, at the moment. I'm in the Grand Rapids area of MI, and not getting my locals in HD is a nasty thing, after having them with Comcast for years now. And, worst of all, Dish doesn't even have one major local channel in it's "locals", that televizes Piston and Tiger games. So, I guess I have no choice, but to seek an alternative.

So, I used the AntennaWeb link, and I gotta admit, it's a bit perplexing. I spotted a few CraigsList ads for indoor HD antennas. One TERK and one Phillips. I assume these are not what I want, being some of the stations I'd need are in the green color code area? AND, worst of all, the aforementioned local that Dish doesn't carry, WXSP, is in the purple color. I don't get that. It's very close, but it's in the farthest range.

The most confusing element is that it's saying I'd need some super duper, amplified rooftop antenna. Firstly, that's not going to happen on my roof. It is WAY up there. The attic is a possibility. Wiring it through there is another matter........ But, anyhow, I believe it also says that I shouldn't use this antenna for the stations that don't need it? Oversignal, or some such thing. Is that saying I'd need multiple antenna setups? Seems crazy, but that's how I read it. Makes sense I guess, as I know if your CATV signal is too strong, it messes up your picture, too.

Anyhow, any pointers? My zip is 49301.

WXSP is available from both WOTV (out of Gun Lake/Hastings Area and WOOD-TV 8 (also out of Gun Lake/Hastings). It is on a sub channel for both. I live within 10 miles of the antenna farm and get a very strong signal on ABC, NBC, and Fox.

CBS is extremely hard to hit (they are only broadcasting at 6 kilowatts where as their analog signal is at 100 kilowatts. If you can get either Channel 8 or 41 OTA, you should be able to get WXSP.

Hope that helps,
Geoff

If you have an attic. I would get the largest outdoor antenna you can fit inside your attic. I have mine mounted in mine and I am 75 miles from the actual antenna farm where my 3 big networks are at. I get 2 in loud and clear the 3rd not so much. That will change when the digital switch occurs and they can then broadcast at full power. They are at 50% output now to not interfere with a station in lawton, ok. Plus if you have a strong storm and the sat feeds go out you still have OTA to fall back on. Plus you get sub channels

If you are talking about KOCO they are at full power they are just contouring their broadcast signal so it doesn't go to the south as to protect KSWO analog out of Lawton.

Hmmm....that's still a bit perplexing, but sounds better. It's just that it seems to contrast what the antenna web site was saying. It was saying XSP is hard to get and CBS quite easy. I was wondering how it was saying CBS signal is only 21 miles away from where I reside(Ada). I also thought CBS was transmitted from Kzoo, and would be the toughest.

So, the question still is, what is my best option? Would a set top HD amp/antennae pull these in for me? Or, do I still need more? I have 7 TVs, over 3 floors, so this is dicey. I can install an antenna in my attic fairly easily. It's just feeding all the TVs that will be beyond my comprehension.

An idea, on top of this, I think, is based on what Digiblur replied to me, when I ignorantly replied to a thread on the DirectTV forum. "Moving" to get some locals in HD? Seemed interesting, until I read that all of my non HD boxes will no longer get any locals, then. Unless, that is, I can somehow guarantee to keep both, as I also read some have had happen, after "moving". But, I didn't see any way to guarantee that would happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)