Dish HD vs Disney (DISH sort of won...)

levibluewa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 25, 2006
WA, OR, CA
Perhaps if Disney is pressed to get Rodent Jr into wider distribution they'll be more willing to negotiate with DISH on resolution of the ESPNNEWSHD, ABCFAMILYHD, EPNUHD, etc. I'm not sure how many providers have jumped at Jr.

Voyager6

*Cancelled*
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 30, 2005
Wokeville
Perhaps if Disney is pressed to get Rodent Jr into wider distribution they'll be more willing to negotiate with DISH on resolution of the ESPNNEWSHD, ABCFAMILYHD, EPNUHD, etc. I'm not sure how many providers have jumped at Jr.
It will probably be forced on providers at contract renewal time along with higher fees for the sports channels.

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
I'm not sure how many providers have jumped at Jr.
According to the Disney Jr. availability page, they're working to be available on Bright House, Cablevision, Cox, Time Warner, Verizon and Xfinity. Xfinity is scheduled to turn up a week from Thursday.

Neither DISH nor DIRECTV are on board.

The Fat Man

aka. Dr. Fat Man
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 2, 2010
Land where we pronounce our "R" as "ah"
harshness said:
According to the Disney Jr. availability page, they're working to be available on Bright House, Cablevision, Cox, Time Warner, Verizon and Xfinity. Xfinity is scheduled to turn up a week from Thursday.

Neither DISH nor DIRECTV are on board.

And that's Disney's problem. They should have killed SoapNet completely and gave everyone Disney Jr. Then at contract renewal time forced companies to keep it. That way people would have already seen it, and there would be a bigger cry for it. Kids won't care when they didn't know they didn't have it to begin with. This smells of a bad business decision, like New Coke/Coke II.

dan188

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 2, 2009
Elmira, New York, United States
The Fat Man said:
And that's Disney's problem. They should have killed SoapNet completely and gave everyone Disney Jr. Then at contract renewal time forced companies to keep it. That way people would have already seen it, and there would be a bigger cry for it. Kids won't care when they didn't know they didn't have it to begin with. This smells of a bad business decision, like New Coke/Coke II.

When disney anounced that they were droping soapnet in 2 years i belive they said it was going to replace it with disney jr. I dont know why the decided not to go that route like discovery had when health changed to own and others have

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Nick did that to force Dish to keep the channel for them until the contract expired and they could "negotiate" (read force Dish with the threat of pulling popular channels) with Dish to carry the new channel.

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
profit is a great thing..but when your revenue drops and you have to close call centers to maintain that profit(less customers = less employees) at some point something has to give

Not necassrily how it works at all. In fact I would say almost backwards, it's when profit is down that downsizing and hurting the business happens not just revenue.

I have 500 customers, 1/2 of which pay on time, the others I have to chase, spend money notifying them, getting equipment back, some of which like LNB's I may never get back. But actual revenue when all is said and done is higher than if I had just the other 1/2 customers, but profit is eaten up.

Now I don't try and keep the first 1/2, end up with mostly the second 1/2, who pay and may have larger packages. Revenue is down, but profit soars. If I downsize call centers, it's because they are not needed, less customers, and more importantly less customers who are calling all the time about paying their bill. Win Win.....

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts