DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

This product sounds better and better the more I read about it. This sounds perfect for my house. I have four HDTVs and would love being able to watch something on all of them in HD. It will be very nice being able to bring up the same recordings from all TVs.

The Primetime Anytime sounds great for us as well because we record plenty off of the Networks. No more worries about American Idol getting in the way.

I am trying to understand what I am missing in this thread
post after post about how exciting it is Yet i see for 21 hours a day I have two tuner dvr for all of the tvs in my house so i can only watch two live programs at a time like att was at start and yes it gabs more at prime time but only network shows
and if i want to do more than two I would still need two hopper box just like two dvrs I now have . so would it not be better to just have the dvr s we have now share the media the advantage of the hopper concept alludes me.

The advantage with the new Hopper is that I can have just one receiver that has three tuners. I can have every TV in my house in HD with the little Joey boxes and they can all access my DVR. With the Primetime Anytime feature I can record up to 6 programs at once! All the network programs will be recorded separately and free up the other tuners to record other channels. Seems to simplify things for me.

The advantage with the new Hopper is that I can have just one receiver that has three tuners. I can have every TV in my house in HD with the little Joey boxes and they can all access my DVR. With the Primetime Anytime feature I can record up to 6 programs at once! All the network programs will be recorded separately and free up the other tuners to record other channels. Seems to simplify things for me.
the way I understand it you have 1 dvr with Two tuners the third only works for prime time.

That's what it's sounding like. That's still more that what I can record now. The fact that I can watch HD on multiple TVs and access my DVR from each TV is what makes me want it.

I have a 922 hooked up to 3 TVs now which works great but the second and third TV are in SD. My fourth TV is hooked up to a 211k and it would be nice if it had access to the 922 DVR. I have a EHD connected to the 211k so it can record but it's just a conveniece thing for me.

I think it doubtful that a ViP211x will get full access to networked DVRs. But wouldn't it be nice if they did?

I would think you'd be able to turn off the primetime anytime if desired freeing up the third tuner during that time period and I would think the the third tuner would be available at all non primetime hours anyway.

I would think you'd be able to turn off the primetime anytime if desired freeing up the third tuner during that time period and I would think the the third tuner would be available at all non primetime hours anyway.
This is why I will withhold judgement until the details come out next week. Too many assumptions flying around.

Don't sound like anything I'd be interested in. Also seems geared towards the high end consumer which translates to higher premiums. Although it is nice to see some new technology coming to dish.
DA on a 722 feeding 1 hd TV & 2 sd TV's in a house with 2 people is more than enough for us. I know some of you are TV junkies & that's OK, there are worse habits out there. So this technology will most definitely have a fan base, but at what price are you willing to pay? I am betting it will be equal to a 612 as a secondary or more.

Since it is recording the entire transponder I am guessing it IS recording those, however the have written the software to extract ABC, NBC, FOX and CBS. This is one I will ask at CES.

It all sounds pretty positive, but I would need two hoppers to consider this a real hole home dvr.

A few questions.....

If we only have eight days, does that mean we have to manually archive shows we want to keep longer than that (I have sometimes saved entire seasons of shows to watch during rerun season)? I know the networks don't count shows watched more than a week past the airdate, so i can see why they would love to force this to become the new norm.

Will archived content off of the EHD content stored from 622/722 boxes still work?

Will only the Joey boxes talk to the hopper (i've got 4 DVRs now. A 722, a 622, and two single tuner boxes). Do I have to get rid of those to get a hopper?

How does the content get labeled in the stream? Sundays on Fox are a mess due to football. How would you deal with those type of issues?

What happens with Sunday Night Football that ends after 11 on NBC?

Thanks for all your hard work, Scott! Hope you don't get too much E* blowback at CES from this leak.....

Any idea if you can have more than two hoppers?

While it is technically possible to add more then two hoppers I am not sure what DISH's policy will be on the number of tuners.

Perhaps someone can calculate the load and the carrying capability of the coax and give us a good guesstimate. 3? 4? And Dish lease the first 2 but charge thereafter?

Okay I read that DIRECTV is charging PER tv for their fancy 5 tuner dvr . Each tv is $6.00 and the Tv has to be a Samsung tv with special software to work with the receiver. SO I can see DISH charging $6.00 - $7.00 per 110 unit or the Joey unit. Also if this 813 Xip Hopper unit has SLING built in like the 922 and the same guides, channel logos etc, I can see that this receiver will have a $10.00 Dvr fee too. So already the costs for this unit will be as high if not higher than the present system of Vip series of receivers I already have. I pay $20.00 a month in fees: for two 211k receivers + dvr software :$14.00 and the dvr fee is $6.00= $20.00. I can see for 3 extra tvs after the main one 3 X $7.00= $21.00 + the dvr /sling fee of $10.00 + $31.00 a month in fees , before programming is added in.

Like the concept of recording all the locals during primetime ,because we watch a lot of primetime shows and that is what takes up my 4 tuners(2 sat/2ota) on my 722k now. But I can see the extra fees making this out of range of my budget. But I am just speculating on the price of the fees. Knowing DISH I 'm sure it will be much higher .:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)