DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

Ok folks... I am walking on egg shells here... as I am not trying to offened anyone or anyone at DISH.

The main reason I pulled this article was because DISH was concerned that the article contained some inaccurate information. Of course DISH would not tell me what the bad info was because they don't want to show their cards and confirm everything before CES. (Can't say I blame them.)

But in digging I believe I found most if not all of the mistakes in the article, however again since DISH won't officially confirm anything here is what I have found in my digging. What I am about to post here still might not be 100% so please take it with a grain of salt, until it is officially confirmed by DISH.

First the Primetime Anywhere feature only records national programs from your local affiliates in HD. At the moment DISH has HD locals in 170 markets.

In digging into the Sirius announcement I found that DISH will only be adding 9 Sirius Latino channels to its lineup not 15 channels like the article said.

The article said that Blockbuster Movie Pass will get more then 40 channels of HD programming, that is incorrect its only a little more then 20 channels unless DISH is planning a big expansion I don't know about. :) (BTW I am hearing Blockbuster Movie Pass will be renamed to Blockbuster At Home...)

The new DISH Unplugged will have access to hundreds of movies, but not 500 movies as the article stated.

Also I am hearing the Dish Test Drive will only be for 24 hours not the 72 hours as the article stated.

It took a lot of digging to find all this out, so I hope it is accurate. :) Guess we will find out next week! :)

The TV does not have to be a Samsung.

The per TV charge is the same as the per receiver/DVR charge, $6 per each additional TV after the first one. No difference in price than any other DVR or receiver.

I refer you to the page on the DIRECTV website that talks about RVU for the Home media center HD dvr ,which can enable ANY tv in your house to get Directv without a receiver. It even says you can do all with one receiver. Then the question asks what tv can have this software and the answer is : Currently only the 6000, 6400,6420 of the 2011 Samsung tv models supporting RVU . Then if you ask what is the price for for this service to each tv: Answer is a $6.00 monthly fee for each RVU enabled tv connected to your Home Media Center Hd dvr and HD access fees apply also. To take advantage of this feature , your additional tvs must be RVU enabled and since they only have this software on the three Samsung 2011 models mentioned above, that means you would have to have one of their Samsung tvs to use it.

www.support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3720/related/1

I refer you to the page on the DIRECTV website that talks about RVU for the Home media center HD dvr ,which can enable ANY tv in your house to get Directv without a receiver. It even says you can do all with one receiver. Then the question asks what tv can have this software and the answer is : Currently only the 6000, 6400,6420 of the 2011 Samsung tv models supporting RVU . Then if you ask what is the price for for this service to each tv: Answer is a $6.00 monthly fee for each RVU enabled tv connected to your Home Media Center Hd dvr and HD access fees apply also. To take advantage of this feature , your additional tvs must be RVU enabled and since they only have this software on the three Samsung 2011 models mentioned above, that means you would have to have one of their Samsung tvs to use it.

I think what he is saying is you can use a receiver at each tv just like a Joey and have any tv or you can have no receiver if your tv is ruv right now that is only samsung but their could be more in the future if it catches on.

Yes it needs to be a Samsung to utilize RVU, but you can still use the DVR on any brand of TV. You just need to connect it directly via some sort of cable. Like all DVRs/Receivers you are not charged the fee for your primary TV. Each additional TV will be charged a $6 fee.

DirecTV will be changing the name from additional receiver to additional TV for all models of DVRs/Receivers starting this Feb. Just a simple name change to avoid confusion as they slowly move from receiver-less service.

SatelliteRacer from DBSTalk explains the name change better than I
Additional TV is simply a name change. The world is changing and in the future not everyone is going to need a receiver to have DIRECTV programming on other televisions. Nevertheless, that programming still needs to be mirrored on those devices through a server or other means.
DBSTalk.Com - View Single Post - New Directv Prices

News of this article is starting to get around the internet, so I have moved it back to the main DISH Network forum for discussion.

Needless to say it appears that it will be an exciting time at CES. I can't wait to see all of this new stuff. :)

DISH is going to be be heavily advertising "Prime Time Anytime"
I can't imagine why anyone would think that customers are going to be drooling over storing 72 hours of programming of which most will take an interest in less than 10% of. I bet you would find a bigger audience looking for Dr. Oz than for the entire Fox and NBC prime time schedules combined.

Don't treat us like we're feeble minded; give us a DVR that is comfortable to use and rock solid reliable and we'll figure out the rest.

Unless they're getting major financial support from the networks for making the content available (surely this would mean disabling skip at some level), I can't see wasting any time on this.

I'm thoroughly convinced that this "Prime Time Anytime" is a terrible idea and it doesn't so much excite me as agitate me.

I can't imagine why anyone would think that customers are going to be drooling over storing 72 hours of programming of which most will take an interest in less than 10% of. I bet you would find a bigger audience looking for Dr. Oz than for the entire Fox and NBC prime time schedules combined.

Don't treat us like we're feeble minded; give us a DVR that is comfortable to use and rock solid reliable and we'll figure out the rest.

Unless they're getting major financial support from the networks for making the content available (surely this would mean disabling skip at some level), I can't see wasting any time on this.

I'm thoroughly convinced that this "Prime Time Anytime" is a terrible idea and it doesn't so much excite me as agitate me.

But it is that 10% that is exciting to most people. The idea of having all of last night's schedule available to view the next day, or for the next eight days without doing anything extra is very exciting to many. I have many times forgotten to record a show and then the next day at work hear about it from others. With this feature, I could just look it up on my receiver and watch it the next day.

BTW, I am not surprised that you might not like it. :)

harshness - I disagree with you 100%. I think that most people will be all over that feature. Especially if you can flag certain programs to automatically store past the 1 week window. That will free up a lot of tuner time for a lot of people.

Yes it needs to be a Samsung to utilize RVU, but you can still use the DVR on any brand of TV.
At this point, you can't do RVU without one of the enabled Samsung TVs. The lion's share of Samsung TVs don't support RVU! The only other CE company with a stake in RVU is LG and they've been completely mum on the topic.

To suggest that you can use whatever display you have or want is misleading.

I would also point out that at this time, there is only one RVU certified device (Pace C30) and it is not available to the public.

I have many times forgotten to record a show and then the next day at work hear about it from others. With this feature, I could just look it up on my receiver and watch it the next day.
So how often does this come up? Would you use it once a week? Twice? Is it really worth trashing half of your available storage on the off chance that you might want to watch something?

harshness said:
So how often does this come up? Would you use it once a week? Twice? Is it really worth trashing half of your available storage on the off chance that you might want to watch something?

It does not use any of the users partition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts