DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

What I had heard from earlier is that you had 3 tuners to do with as you wish, but you have the option (which I guess is now on by default) to record your LiL HD TP (not sure what happens in SD only markets, but assume it works the same just in SD).

So, if you do not like you locals you can avoid capturing them and simply use your 3 tuners to you hearts content. What I was unsure of but now seems to be answered is that joeys do not have to be dedicated, so you can have (as Scott said above) 8 joeys and one hopper, but you are limited to how many joeys are active at the same time. Which also brings up the next question is how many joeys can watch prerecorded shows (i.e. not using the 3 live tuners). Perhaps Scott can get this out of them at CES.

This is looking more and more like a usefull solution for my house. I have limited need for multi TV viewing, but a lot of potential viewing areas. I did not like paying the big fees to get TV to every set even when they were not used a lot. I resorted to calling to activate a 622 when I had guests to feed the 2 guest rooms then deactivating when they were gone.

A few questions.....

If we only have eight days, does that mean we have to manually archive shows we want to keep longer than that (I have sometimes saved entire seasons of shows to watch during rerun season)? I know the networks don't count shows watched more than a week past the airdate, so i can see why they would love to force this to become the new norm.

For now yes you manually have to say keep them, however there may be a menu option later (or upon release) which will let you tag shows you want to keep.

Will archived content off of the EHD content stored from 622/722 boxes still work?
Yes will work fine. Remember (and this might scare some people) the code for the hopper is based off the 922 which can do this already.

Will only the Joey boxes talk to the hopper (i've got 4 DVRs now. A 722, a 622, and two single tuner boxes). Do I have to get rid of those to get a hopper?
Yes Hopper will only talk to Joey as the other boxes do not have the necessary chipset to support Moca. Remember at release these boxes are aimed for new customers not existing ones. (Although existing will be able to update over time)

How does the content get labeled in the stream? Sundays on Fox are a mess due to football. How would you deal with those type of issues?
just as they are labeled now. It will only record from 8 to 11 Monday through Saturday and 4 hours (7 through 11) on Sundays. I dont know if there is a way to expand the recording time on Sundays for Football and awards show overages.

Thanks for all your hard work, Scott! Hope you don't get too much E* blowback at CES from this leak.....
No I think we handled it well with them, I think moving it out of the public forum was the correct move to make and they were happy that we took it out of the crawlers view as quickly as we did, to prevent it from being indexed with the incorrect information. I should note that doing this is not something we would normally due, but due to the nature of things I felt moving it here was the best thing to do. One more thing I want to point out is I did not hold this info hostage for money. I did not post if you want to read about all this stuff to join the pub. For the non pub members they think this thread just went away. I could have made a lot of money for the site if I said join the pub to see what everyones talking about... but I didn't. :)

Since it is recording the entire transponder I am guessing it IS recording those, however the have written the software to extract ABC, NBC, FOX and CBS. This is one I will ask at CES.
I believe they can record by PID/SCID to save space and bandwidth. The bottleneck is the spped to disk and also space required. The Demultiplex chip can be set to extract and decrypt a number of PID/channels or they may record it raw and decrypt it on playback.

Scott Greczkowski said:
For now yes you manually have to say keep them, however there may be a menu option later (or upon release) which will let you tag shows you want to keep.

Yes will work fine. Remember (and this might scare some people) the code for the hopper is based off the 922 which can do this already.

Yes Hopper will only talk to Joey as the other boxes do not have the necessary chipset to support Moca. Remember at release these boxes are aimed for new customers not existing ones. (Although existing will be able to update over time)

just as they are labeled now. It will only record from 8 to 11 Monday through Saturday and 4 hours (7 through 11) on Sundays. I dont know if there is a way to expand the recording time on Sundays for Football and awards show overages.

No I think we handled it well with them, I think moving it out of the public forum was the correct move to make and they were happy that we took it out of the crawlers view as quickly as we did, to prevent it from being indexed with the incorrect information. I should note that doing this is not something we would normally due, but due to the nature of things I felt moving it here was the best thing to do. One more thing I want to point out is I did not hold this info hostage for money. I did not post if you want to read about all this stuff to join the pub. For the non pub members they think this thread just went away. I could have made a lot of money for the site if I said join the pub to see what everyones talking about... but I didn't. :)

Wow, excellent! Thanks for taking the time to answer my concerns. Due to the cost, I will probably wait a bit since I would have to update 4 boxes, but it does look compelling.

Good luck with CES and thanks again for showing why this is the main site I go to stay on top of current and future E* activities.....

What is the difference between this and doing the same thing on a multi-tuner DVR where you get to keep all of the programming as long as you want?
The difference is that it uses only 1 tuner to record all 4 network streams.

What I had heard from earlier is that you had 3 tuners to do with as you wish, but you have the option (which I guess is now on by default) to record your LiL HD TP (not sure what happens in SD only markets, but assume it works the same just in SD).

So, if you do not like you locals you can avoid capturing them and simply use your 3 tuners to you hearts content.
If this is the case, that greatly increases my excitement for the product. Can't wait to find out for sure.

Okay I read that DIRECTV is charging PER tv for their fancy 5 tuner dvr . Each tv is $6.00 and the Tv has to be a Samsung tv with special software to work with the receiver. SO I can see DISH charging $6.00 - $7.00 per 110 unit or the Joey unit. Also if this 813 Xip Hopper unit has SLING built in like the 922 and the same guides, channel logos etc, I can see that this receiver will have a $10.00 Dvr fee too. So already the costs for this unit will be as high if not higher than the present system of Vip series of receivers I already have. I pay $20.00 a month in fees: for two 211k receivers + dvr software :$14.00 and the dvr fee is $6.00= $20.00. I can see for 3 extra tvs after the main one 3 X $7.00= $21.00 + the dvr /sling fee of $10.00 + $31.00 a month in fees , before programming is added in.

Like the concept of recording all the locals during primetime ,because we watch a lot of primetime shows and that is what takes up my 4 tuners(2 sat/2ota) on my 722k now. But I can see the extra fees making this out of range of my budget. But I am just speculating on the price of the fees. Knowing DISH I 'm sure it will be much higher .:rolleyes:
The TV does not have to be a Samsung.

The per TV charge is the same as the per receiver/DVR charge, $6 per each additional TV after the first one. No difference in price than any other DVR or receiver.

Question.

Do you have to record all programming from all 4 networks during that window or can you select which hours, which programs, and/or which channels you want it to record?

Good luck with CES and thanks again for showing why this is the main site I go to stay on top of current and future E* activities.....
Thanks for coming here daily for your satelilte news and info. :)

I really wish I could provide the same look and insight to the DIRECTV side of the world but they don't want me to. :( But got to admit we have been getting better there as well lately, even scooping the other DIRECTV friendly site a few times. :)

Question.

Do you have to record all programming from all 4 networks during that window or can you select which hours, which programs, and/or which channels you want it to record?
Yes you have to record all 4, but remember its using its own partition so its not taking recording time from you with those recordings, If you have a full 8 days of Prime Time Anytime and no other recordings on your box you still have 250 hours of HD recording time (and 1000 hours of SD) :D

Yes you have to record all 4, but remember its using its own partition so its not taking recording time from you with those recordings, If you have a full 8 days of Prime Time Anytime and no other recordings on your box you still have 250 hours of HD recording time (and 1000 hours of SD) :D
The only negative it that it will just be annoying to sift through 99% of programming you do not watch to find the few recordings you do. After 8 days, 4 networks, and 3 hours each day, that is a lot of sifting or a lot of deleting. Hopefully future software updates will allow the users to filter only the programming they want to record.

That is the only negative I see, Other than that this does seem like a cool feature to have.

The only negative it that it will just be annoying to sift through 99% of programming you do not watch to find the few recordings you do. After 8 days, 4 networks, and 3 hours each day, that is a lot of sifting or a lot of deleting. Hopefully future software updates will allow the users to filter only the programming they want to record.

That is the only negative I see, Other than that this does seem like a cool feature to have.

There is no sifting and no deleting, it stays there. You select Primetime anytime from the guide and if you missed a show click on it and enjoy it. The beauty is all of the primetime shows are always there without you doing a thing.

There is no sifting and no deleting, it stays there. You select Primetime anytime from the guide and if you missed a show click on it and enjoy it. The beauty is all of the primetime shows are always there without you doing a thing.
Oh. It is not the same as navigating through the recording list on your DVR? It is actually easier?

If the Dish folks are taking suggestions, they really need to address this so the user isn't forced to go tagging the same shows every week.

Just FYI, I just learned that another news source got a copy of this news article that was posted and is considering posting it.

if that happens then I may consider moving this back to the public forum again.

Personally I hope they don't post it but understand if they do.

I need to get to CES again one of these years. It's been about 6 years since I've been there. It's tough to make it to CES and Dish Summit in the same year for me though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)