DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

I'm assuming only locally attached storage will be allowed and access to network storage devices would be forbidden due to piracy concerns. Can anyone confirm that?

Also, I wonder how well a Drobo or equivalent USB interfaced device would do for "protected" storage for the whole house's collection. I am fully aware that RAID units are not a guarantee against data loss, but they do help you out in the event of a hardware failure.

Just thinking out loud here while I watch a 22GB image install.

Recording all of the network primetime is great, but if there isn't an ability to take those programs and save them for more than one week then that makes the feature much less strong and also sends me back to having two tuners because I am almost always more than 1 week behind on the majority of our network viewing. There are very few shows we watch within a week these days. It would however, be a good backup for nights when football or other sports cause a delay in the start of nightly programming (I'm talking to you CBS Sunday!).

I guess I assumed that anybody watching that many dissimilar channels would be doing it on multiple TVs and so already have multiple DVRs.
Who says I don't? :)

Still, one of the lures of a hopper in my eyes is to be able to share DVR content will all TVs (multi-room DVR, in a sense), instead of having content segregated between DVRs. Being able to share up to 8 rooms with Joeys kinda defeats that purpose if you still are only limited to 2 (or 3) active tuners. As I see it, this still wouldn't compete with D*'s 5-tuner HR34.

Recording all of the network primetime is great, but if there isn't an ability to take those programs and save them for more than one week then that makes the feature much less strong and also sends me back to having two tuners because I am almost always more than 1 week behind on the majority of our network viewing.
You can save programs that you want to protect. :)

You can save programs that you want to protect. :)

Good this was the first question that came to my mind. There are some shows from the Fall season that I haven't even started watching yet. If I can setup timers like I normally do for shows that would be recorded by the Primetime Anytime tuner and those shows were somehow earmarked or protected from deletion after the 8 days elapses, that would be perfect. And it would also allow two other timers to still record programs that aren't covered by Primetime Anytime.

This would be really great for my parents because my dad constantly has to de-conflict the shows he likes to watch with the shows like Dancing with the Stars and American Idol that my mom likes to watch and sucks up much of the primetime programming week. My mom's shows could now be covered by that single Primetime Anytime feed and then my dad's shows would be on the other two tuners or OTA.

Dish will also offer a program this spring for existing Dish subscribers who do not have a DVR?equipped

tuner decoder. This will provide an external hard drive that will plug into legacy equipment to deliver DVR

functionality to a standalone tuner box.

So I'm betting that bit is one of the things that DISH was complaining about being false. I have a hard time believing that they would go back and retrofit DVR functionality into any more non-DVR receivers then they already have.

Exciting stuff.. can't wait to see it next week. But I just can't help but think... I can get behind the Hopper name, but really... Joey for the little client boxes?

I'm personally much more concerned with the functionality than the name... That said, Hopper (Big Kangaroo) and Joey (Little Kangaroo) have a little more personality than say...
xip813 or xip110 ;)

Cheers,

So is this the part thats not correct?
prime time programs from local CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX affiliates each night between 8 and 11 p.m. and

hold them for up to eight days.
Nope that is correct, and if there is a program you want to save you check a box and it moves that show to your usable partition. (The Prime Time Anytime is stored in its own partition and does not take away from your 250 hours or HD recording time)

Also the Hopper has an eSata port and two usb ports in rear , FCC pictures dish-xip110-3.jpg and each Joey has a usb port, so one could assume (yes I know what assuming does) that you can "network" multiple EHDs just so you don't have to have all your EHDs in one room, Now of course if you are using the USB ports on the Joeys for OTA then you wouldn't really use them for the EHD.

But overall I am really excited about the equipment coming out, and Primetime Anytime will be baller. I work during "primetime" and I record a ton on network Television so I think it will work out great for me. But to each his/her own I guess.

This product sounds better and better the more I read about it. This sounds perfect for my house. I have four HDTVs and would love being able to watch something on all of them in HD. It will be very nice being able to bring up the same recordings from all TVs.

The Primetime Anytime sounds great for us as well because we record plenty off of the Networks. No more worries about American Idol getting in the way.

Nope that is correct, and if there is a program you want to save you check a box and it moves that show to your usable partition. (The Prime Time Anytime is stored in its own partition and does not take away from your 250 hours or HD recording time)

Can you set it up to save all episodes of a program? Or will you have to go in and save each individual episode?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts