DISH HOPPER SPEC SHEETS

JM42 said:
That would go against history. Dish has always had the accessories priced reasonably.

You're kidding...
The OTAmod was 50$

For a feature that just a model before was standard.

Sent from my fingers.

That was a good price for it when they released it. There were not many ATSC tuners out there at the time, so if you think about it $50 was a steal. :)

I'll have to do the math, and see if it makes sense for me. I currently have 3 722s and one 612 feeding 6 tvs. I'd need 2 Hoppers and 5 joeys ? Well , 4 joeys since the 2 hoppers wouldn't initially be connected.

Last edited:
DISH should honestly allow those without locals in HD the OTA module very reasonable, or free.

Yep, just the one. And I remember being pleased back then about the OTA mod price.

They haven't chosen which OTA tuner you can use yet... but I am hearing they are leaning twards a number of off the shelf models which you can buy at any electronics store.
Nice! Very forward-thinking of them to design it to work within a standard. A quick look at Newegg shows only single-tuner models, ranging in price from $25 to $90. I suppose it's good enough. I only use the MT2 for two very-lightly-watched channels, as it is.

If so, how would you record off off of it? Would it use 1 of the internal tuners leaving you with just 1 open tuner if your also using PTAT?

How many times do you have to be told, the OTA USB tuner is a TUNER it has no effect on the satellite tuners built into the Hopper.

I understand it's an external tuner, but what does it use to record to the dvr?

It uses itself.

The tuners- satellite or OTA - receive the signal and logic in the receiver displays it or records it. It may well be possible to add a second OTA tuner for simultaneous use. Time will tell. Despite so much determined doubt about this feature, it is a dead on certainty that OTA and 2 hopper seamless operation will arrive. By May Day? Fourth of July? Turkey Day? Who knows, but it will happen in the reasonably near future. It is a good thing that more features are going to be added. Shows room for growth.

It seems some of the same people that complain about the delay in getting it out are the same ones complaining they should have held it back until their favorite desired features were available.

Let's Face It: Dish is releasing a model with the features a large majority of it's customers will be quite happy with. Very few JSPs are going to want a second Hopper. Heck, most today still don't even have a DVR. OTA also appeals to a small but vociferous number of us.

I will just calmly wait until second Hopper seamless integration, and an OTA module, are released. Then I'll see reports from the field from the pioneers, and make my decision as to if this is the product for me. If not, I can always change my mind later.

How many times do you have to be told, the OTA USB tuner is a TUNER it has no effect on the satellite tuners built into the Hopper.
How many times do YOU need to be told that just because you have 4 or 5 or 17 tuners, a DVR may still be limited in how many streams it can record simultaneously. The DirecTV HR34 is a perfect example of that limitation. And, the HJ may suffer from a similar limitation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts