Dish installer questions?

budda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Oconomowoc
I know on this web site there are some Dish installers. I have a few questions. My roof has a pitch of like 9/12 or 10/12. Steep. I have climbed up the roof but it's a B. I have a lot of tree's so a new dish needs to be at the top of my roof. I am going to upgrade to the Hopper as soon as the snow melts. I wish I could do it now but Wisconsin winters are ruff. Questions are do installers carry needed ladders say a 20ft extension? Would they try to install a Dish? I need the new style Dish for the Hopper. I don't get HD locals I use OTA and Have VIP722K's. Seems like techs are unmotivated to install one. Spots on the roof that will work are reachable from the side. What I am confused about is. I see Sat Dishes on all kinds of tall buildings and steep roof's. But it has been a struggle to get some body to even try. I had a tech out once sent by dish for low signal. I asked the tech at that time to put a new dish up and I would pay for it. He said he did not have enough time. Or the correct ladders.My neighbor left dish after 2 years. He has a newer Dish I could snatch and set it up myself. But why should I? I can and I am willing, but why won't people who do this for a living get it done? Thanks just a little vent. I have talked with Mary from D.I.R.T. and I am set to up grade when it's a little warmer. Just want a guy who will start and finish the job. :)

They should carry at least a 28' ladder. I would try to install on the edge of the roof if possible. I don't see why the installers would not do the job properly.

If I were you, don't sign the paperwork until they get it up and going properly. They may have a different suggestion as to dish location than what you are thinking (or they may agree with you), but all that should be worked out during the appointment and you should agree to everything before they do anything.

Should be no problem. Your last tech that said "not enough time" was lazy. In house techs carry at least a 28 foot extension ladder. However if you are in an area of subs or retailers only I can not say.

Also to note, actually walking on a roof is a big no no unless fall restraint is used...which means mounting an anchor into the roof.

But if course there are guys that will do it anyways. But as for myself, nobodies TV is worth me falling off of a roof.

Definitely don't sign till all correct equipment is installed and running. But to note EHD'S and a lot of the apps wont work the first day. This in normal.

I'm a former installer. If I could install the dish while standing on the ladder I would run the 28 footer the whole way up and bolt it down.

Now, I hate, HATE roofs. And it depends on who installs it. I worked for an rsp and they told us their insurance quit covering us if we stepped off the ladder. Best bet is to see what the tech says. If he won't put a ladder up and work safely from the ladder I would call it laziness, but if he has to shimmy to the middle of the peak, I would not do it. Now, we had guys in our shop who would. I would reschedule the job and one of the techs who were comfortable on roofs would try. My mindset was always that I wouldn't risk my life to get a customer tv. Nor will I ever ask any service tech risk their life at my house. It's hard to say without seeing your house though. I hope everything goes well, please report back with details.

Thanks for all the info. I think I will be able to make it work. I installed three different Dishs at my house. So I am pretty good at making it work that's why I know were to put it. One tech even gave me a speech on be coming an installer. In my option it's comes down to understanding where the signal comes off the dish not just were it's pointed. Thanks again. Now I need sunshine. :)

Thanks for all the info. I think I will be able to make it work. I installed three different Dishs at my house. So I am pretty good at making it work that's why I know were to put it. One tech even gave me a speech on be coming an installer. In my option it's comes down to understanding where the signal comes off the dish not just were it's pointed. Thanks again. Now I need sunshine. :)

When I got my HD upgrade several years ago I had a hack come out and put the dish on the edge of my roof pointing directly into trees. It was winter and it wasn't long before the leaves came out and we had all kinds of problems. I did some research and used the Dishpointer site to figure out where I had to point and the elevation. I have a very large roof because we have a split level house and I walked every inch of it with my compass and I found about a 4 foot by 4 foot area that had the only clear line of site out from my roof. When the next installer came out to move my dish because of dropped signals he kept saying, I can't believe a tech put a dish there! Well he moved the dish to the location I scouted and we have had no dropouts since. My point is you can do your homework before the tech gets there using the dishpointer site and a compass or there are even apps for your phone so you can be ready. The only caveat to a high roof install is that it is tough to climb up there when the heavy wet snow clings to the dish and kills your signal and has to be cleaned off. I would rather that than have constant dropouts due to poor location in the first place.

If you already have 722K you should already have a High Definition Dish all you should need is the NODE.
I have two Dish 500's 1 has 110 and 119. The other has 129. Running thru a DPP44. I need 61.5 to get my Locals. I believe. I am in Oconomowoc WI 53066. I will receive Milwaukee WI Channels. Which is like 147 AZMITH. instead of say 2 o'clock it needs to be 10 o'clock. Just for 61.5 transponder 22. Thanks for the thought, if only it was so easy.

I have two Dish 500's 1 has 110 and 119. The other has 129. Running thru a DPP44. I need 61.5 to get my Locals. I believe. I am in Oconomowoc WI 53066. I will receive Milwaukee WI Channels. Which is like 147 AZMITH. instead of say 2 o'clock it needs to be 10 o'clock. Just for 61.5 transponder 22. Thanks for the thought, if only it was so easy.
If you have line of sight get "I" adapters for your DISH 500s and aim 1 at 61.5 and the other at 72.7 you already have the multiswitch.

If you have line of sight get "I" adapters for your DISH 500s and aim 1 at 61.5 and the other at 72.7 you already have the multiswitch.
Were they are now (dish's) I do not have LOS for 61.5 or 72.7. That's why I need to go higher. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)