Dish LNB

sprprsnmn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 18, 2006
I have a two dish setup at home, one a dish 500 pointing at 110/119, and the other dish pointing at 61.5. I decided to use a larger dish for the 61.5 location, and I purchased a 90cm dish. However, it did not come with a LNB bracket. I was able to shoehorn it on there, but I am not really satisfied with the signal readings I've been getting. My signal strength shows that it is in the upper 20s with the 90cm dish.

I wanted to test my hypothesis, and so I took the big dish down and replaced it with a dish 500 that I had laying around. When I swapped that, my signal strength went into the 40s, nearly double with a smaller dish. That seems to tell me that I didn't have the LNB at the focal point of the other dish.

My question is, is there a way to modify the dish pro plus LNB in such a fashion that you can fix it to a standard LNB holder? I think my way of mounting it put the LNB too far away.

I have a two dish setup at home, one a dish 500 pointing at 110/119, and the other dish pointing at 61.5. I decided to use a larger dish for the 61.5 location, and I purchased a 90cm dish. However, it did not come with a LNB bracket. I was able to shoehorn it on there, but I am not really satisfied with the signal readings I've been getting. My signal strength shows that it is in the upper 20s with the 90cm dish.

I wanted to test my hypothesis, and so I took the big dish down and replaced it with a dish 500 that I had laying around. When I swapped that, my signal strength went into the 40s, nearly double with a smaller dish. That seems to tell me that I didn't have the LNB at the focal point of the other dish.

My question is, is there a way to modify the dish pro plus LNB in such a fashion that you can fix it to a standard LNB holder? I think my way of mounting it put the LNB too far away.
I would get in touch with Iceberg to get the mod needed for your 90CM dish. You can usually find him in the FTA Forum.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-shack/131140-pics-dish-farm-post-yours-too.html

Many use a Dish 500 as it works well for just 61.5. Make sure your mast is plumb and you have skew set at 90 and you should get signals in the high 50's.

I thought you didn't need to set skew for circular polarization.

90 skew is even so on the D500 both LNB's would look the same level :)

Do you have a pic of the 90 cm dish? Sounds like you dont have the focal point correct and that is why you have low readings. I did a dish point for a member here of a 90cm dish at 61.5 a while back and got great results on the signals.

90 skew is even so on the D500 both LNB's would look the same level :)

Ah. I have the single LNB holder on the D500 dish, and the skew must be set to 90, b/c the dish is not angled.

Do you have a pic of the 90 cm dish? Sounds like you dont have the focal point correct and that is why you have low readings. I did a dish point for a member here of a 90cm dish at 61.5 a while back and got great results on the signals.

I'll see about getting a picture up soon.

Do you have a pic of the 90 cm dish?

Here's the dish after I took it down from the pole:
photo.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

The 3rd photo is with a Y LNB holder attached. That's not what I used to hold the LNB on, I had a single I adapter in place. That's just attached to show the approximate location of the LNB.

How do you determine the focal point? My geometry is a little rusty.

Did the dish come with a mounting collar, like that that ususlly come with an FTA dish?

If so, take the cover off of the DishPro +plus lnb and fasten it to the neck right below the eye of the lnb. The plastic lnb conver covers up a really thin neck.

The Dish Network adapter extends the focal point of the arm a couple of inches out from the dish. You can cut the arm off to compensate, but I'd not recomended it. Get it wrong and, it would be impossible to put it back.

Use the mounting collar that came with the dish.

It didn't come with a collar though.

Is there a way to fabricate one / purchase one cheaply?

Check the LNBF focal line - should hit a center of the reflector; not that easy to verify focal point ... Well, sunny day and aluminum foil could help you for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)