DISH Makes offer to buy Sprint (Rescinded)

Dish now has the money lined up.

Them having to go to such lengths to get the money does not bode well for them being able to discontinue making improvements to the network itself and to buy the spectrum needed. People who have phones on the Sprint network (including pre-paid brands and such) would be better off with Softbank purchasing the company, because they have the capital to really make the Sprint network better- more towers, improvements to the existing physical towers to be able to handle more traffic at faster speeds, ownership of more bandwidth spectrum, etc.. Softbank also doesn't have designs of streaming their television over the cell phone frequencies, which would really clogged up an already clogged network.

I also don't think it's in Sprint the company's best interest to be bought out by Dish. I'm not sure they'll be a Sprint in ten years if they are bought by Dish rather than Softbank. Of course, shareholders may just want a quick slightly higher payoff from Dish at the expense of having the healthier company, better quality service for Sprint consumers and customers of other cell providers that use the network, and greater competition among cell providers in general that could spur lower prices for phones and monthly plans relative to what we'd get if Sprint falters.

This is where in theory the government should be able to step in and say "The Softbank acquisition going through is in the best interests of everyone except potentially a few shareholders who would get marginally less than a Dish offer, we'll approve that but reject a Dish offer that only benefits Charlie in any substantial way and gives shareholders a few extra pennies now but hurts the company and the overall market.". I think Sprint would become the next Blockbuster if Dish bought them. The difference is, Blockbuster was going to fail anyway.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dish get into the cell phone came, but it'd be better as a fifth physical network competing with Verizon, ATT, Sprint, and T-Mobile. That'd be the best thing for the consumer, not Dish over-leveraging itself to get Sprint and preventing it from making the improvements it has to make to be competitive. If Dish can't afford to build out it's own network, maybe it could be an MVNO (renting bandwidth on existing networks like many of the smaller cell companies). There is a huge, huge difference between three competitors with physical networks and five competitors in terms of how pricing and competition are likely to go.

Them having to go to such lengths to get the money does not bode well for them being able to discontinue making improvements to the network itself and to buy the spectrum needed. People who have phones on the Sprint network (including pre-paid brands and such) would be better off with Softbank purchasing the company, because they have the capital to really make the Sprint network better- more towers, improvements to the existing physical towers to be able to handle more traffic at faster speeds, ownership of more bandwidth spectrum, etc.. Softbank also doesn't have designs of streaming their television over the cell phone frequencies, which would really clogged up an already clogged network.

I also don't think it's in Sprint the company's best interest to be bought out by Dish. I'm not sure they'll be a Sprint in ten years if they are bought by Dish rather than Softbank. Of course, shareholders may just want a quick slightly higher payoff from Dish at the expense of having the healthier company, better quality service for Sprint consumers and customers of other cell providers that use the network, and greater competition among cell providers in general that could spur lower prices for phones and monthly plans relative to what we'd get if Sprint falters.

This is where in theory the government should be able to step in and say "The Softbank acquisition going through is in the best interests of everyone except potentially a few shareholders who would get marginally less than a Dish offer, we'll approve that but reject a Dish offer that only benefits Charlie in any substantial way and gives shareholders a few extra pennies now but hurts the company and the overall market.". I think Sprint would become the next Blockbuster if Dish bought them. The difference is, Blockbuster was going to fail anyway.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dish get into the cell phone came, but it'd be better as a fifth physical network competing with Verizon, ATT, Sprint, and T-Mobile. That'd be the best thing for the consumer, not Dish over-leveraging itself to get Sprint and preventing it from making the improvements it has to make to be competitive. If Dish can't afford to build out it's own network, maybe it could be an MVNO (renting bandwidth on existing networks like many of the smaller cell companies). There is a huge, huge difference between three competitors with physical networks and five competitors in terms of how pricing and competition are likely to go.
If you really were on top of (understanding) Dish's plans, you would not dismiss Sprint stockholder's probable allegiance. They don't care about BB. They care about a before unimagined future for the company. I think they are ready to take a leap of faith. I also have a close friend who owns licenses he is leasing to Sprint, for a respectful some. He believes that (and will benefit from) Dish will get it.

Last edited:
You do realize that Dish has admitted that they need help from another company. They need Sprint.
Not sure who you are reacting to or coming from. I did do some editing to my above post, if that factors.

Just want we need. The government telling another company what they can and can not do.

Posted from my iPhone.

Last edited:

Dish generates 3 billion a year in cash flow, Sprint generates 5 billion a year in cash flow. They have a lot of money to invest in the network.

I also don't think it's in Sprint the company's best interest to be bought out by Dish. I'm not sure they'll be a Sprint in ten years if they are bought by Dish rather than Softbank. .......

That's whole point of the buyout that I think you are missing. Sprint is going nowhere as a company and has not for a long time beyond where they are now. Where you do have a point - should Softbank actually make them competitive with AT&T and Verizon, it could perhaps help to reduce costs for us. But you have to understand, for all the talk about how bad a company AT&T is, or Verizon is, they are the best in the business by far, meaning a high percentage of customers would not consider going anywhere except to those two companies, with a mild nod to TMobile. From extensive traveling and trying Tmobile on my Tablet, they are not even in the same league let alone ballpark as AT&T. Sprint is even worse for coverage unless you happen to be in area they service well. It will take a tremendous amount of money to just hope to compete with the others.

On the other hand, Dish is indeed going to end Sprint as we know it, and somewhat do what you want in a different way. The cost of cell service is not all that expensive I think the family plan with AT&T is realistic, it's the data that is outrageously high. Dish is proposing to bundle data with satellite service, allowing you to watch programming for much less than others now charge and maybe with no cap. I can see where that approach could make the others lower their charges also. If they can pull of no cap for using the slingbox, that is a direct answer to internet TV, and better. I certainly don't know and I don't think anyone knows how it would all shake out, but I would bet on that to be a success rather than direct competition as another cell carrier.

"The Dish-owned Slingbox service will likely be at the center of such a scheme. Slingbox enables Dish customers to watch their subscribed satellite channels through the Internet. With Sprint, they could eventually watch them through their wireless connections. The company could exempt Slingbox video from data caps for all consumers who opt for the bundle"

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/tag/sprint/

Not sure who you are reacting to or coming from. I did do some editing to my above post, if that factors.

I think I was commenting on Hanover's post but I can't remember. LOL

When Charlie was talking about the merger at Team Summit he talked about why it made sense for Dish to merge with Sprint. He talked about how a mature company merging with another mature company just makes one large mature company and there really isn't any growth. With the Dish/Sprint merger you take two companies that are in the infant stages of what they really want to do and they have tons of room to grow and improve on. Dish and Sprint together could really shake up the whole industry.

Sprint isn't putting anything on hold with SoftBank which makes me think the talks with DISH are all just a smoke screen to get the deal done with SoftBank.

Posted from my iPhone.

Sprint isn't putting anything on hold with SoftBank which makes me think the talks with DISH are all just a smoke screen to get the deal done with SoftBank.

Posted from my iPhone.
the market disagrees with you as Sprint shares are at a 52 week high. Higher than the offers of both Sprint and Dish.

the market disagrees with you as Sprint shares are at a 52 week high. Higher than the offers of both Sprint and Dish.

Yeah but sprint hasn't put anything on old to talk to dish. They are moving forward and I think it will get approval shareholders will have to block it.

Posted from my iPhone.

Actually, don't the shareholders have to approve the SoftBank offer, or disapprove it? I mean, the board can't do the deal either way without a shareholder vote, right?

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)