Dish messing with Voom, All are now HD-Lite 1280x1080i: Discuss this issue HERE!

I will be cancelling my Dish subscription. I don't care if the industry standard is 1280x1080. MY standard is 1920x1080.

Last edited:
All of those who are reluctant to buy a decent antenna to get their OTA HD locals should make note of this info. If they want 1920x1080 networks, they'd better start re-investigating antennas.

This is truly disappointing. I know "my money" isn't going to be spent on any MPEG4 receiver. MPEG2 can die itself off, I won't budge! There is no advantage to getting it now.

And after it dies, I'll see what my options are. This is a very sad day for the HDTV industry.

Tom Bombadil said:
Well, if it is going to 1280x1080, then ...

I WANT 21 VOOM CHANNELS!!!!

I think the resolution might have been slated for less than that for all 21.

My God even Mpeg4 in HD-Lite

how long before all HD is HD-Lite??, not very long is the answer

If anyones wants the link to my 942 auction let me know ;)

see ya later Dish, you can go spit for all I care :mad:

-Gary

To everyone concerned about having HD-Lite forced down their throat while they're subscribed to the basic HD pack right now keep contacting Dish and saying no and if they won't respect that then contact Mark Cuban, explain the situation about why you won't pay for his channel anymore and I'm sure he'll listen and give Dish a load of crap. Sorry if I'm being redundant here if someone suggested this.
I really hope FioS ends up being the saving grace for all the HD Purists here. As it stands they could offer a solid HD package by itself with enough channels to satisfy, FioS I mean. I guess I'm hoping for another VOOM, albeit full HD but fat chance I guess. :(
30 American HD channels, including all the HD movie channels, that are somewhat worthwhile. I'm sorry I'm not mentioning Wealth TV since I get the impression it's sh!tty then add all the Korean programming subtitled which adds 3 more along with some Japanese HD one's including TV Tokyo so you're looking at over 34 channel offerings in HD with more coming when MHD, Food Network HD and National Geographic HD come. Is that enough to satisfy everyone?

Sarang said:
To everyone concerned about having HD-Lite forced down their throat while they're subscribed to the basic HD pack right now keep contacting Dish and saying no

Why bother...we emailed and called and emailed and called after VOOM was initially castrated, we were promised improvements...nothing happened. We emailed and called and emailed and called some more...we got word "wait till CES"..."wait for MPEG4"...and in the end we get stepped on. Why send another pile of emails to get an automated steaming pile of BS.

CES 2006...the day full HD died.

Gary Murrell said:
I started this nice little thread over at the AVS Forum, I mean every word of it
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=627489
this is Directv(and their sub's) fault, we were with Dish for a reason and that reason is now gone
-Gary

Sounds to me like we need to bash DirecTV whenever we can when someone's buying an HDTV at Best Buy or CC and they try to prod someone to buy a DirecTV HD receiver with it.

As many of us wrote in many threads, there has always been a fear that this would happen. As it has been pointed out on hundreds of occasions, the general public accepted downrezzed and over-compressed SD from D* and E* with few complaints.

If someone is willing to watch 480x480i under significant compression, then how could we hope to convince either DBS provider that it was necessary for them to give us 1920x1080 with light compression?

Also consider than the predominant use of HDTVs has been to watch DVDs. So 1280x1080 is a big step up from a standard that most people find to be excellent.

D* and E* both know this very well. They do their research as they have hundreds of millions of dollars riding on the outcome.

I was hoping that our screaming and shooting might influence E* to try to make a go of it at 1920, in the hopes that their extra cost would be recouped through more subscribers being willing to pay for it. But I seriously doubted that broadcasting in 1920 would actually pull in the hundreds of thousands that it would have to in order to justify the cost. I suspect E*'s research supports this.

I had also hoped that perhaps we could at least get it bumped back up to 1440, I thought we might have a shot at that.

But in the end, the few thousand of us who presently sub to VOOM didn't have a chance vs the "industry standard" 1280 that D* had already established. E* could see that there was not a mass exodus from D* to E* to access their higher resolution. If D*'s HD subscribers had done this, then we would have had a chance.

But given that they did not and that E* was not gaining new HD subs at a significantly faster rate than D*, then why would E* go with a higher standard when they have to compete pricewise with D*?

In the end, the fault lies with the general HD consumer base, for not supporting higher res HD with their dollars. Which is the same reason why we never got good resolution SD.

oh and by the way, lots of the mpeg2 1280x1080i Voom are running at really high 16 Mbps bitrates right now, I wonder why?? could it be because of CES :mad:

Dish, what a bunch of lying clowns

-Gary

Last edited:
I hate to be ah well "hater" but Dish wouldn't know quality if it bit them in the butt. I pro-actively switched to cable and plan to stay there until MPG4 and full res and bit rate HD makes it onto satellite.

I made a hard decision to leave but looking back over these past 10 months. I am glad I did. The HD quality is a ton better from what I was looking at and especially compared to what is being broadcasted now.

Good job Dish. Way to be a leader. Yeah ... right...

But Dish is a "leader."

They are leading in the number of "HD" channels provided. And this is the same way that the SD "leadership" was measured.

------------------------------

I'm "enjoying" very high quality HD via OTA networks.
Now if I could only find anything worth watching on them.

Last edited:
Gary Murrell said:
I started this nice little thread over at the AVS Forum, I mean every word of it
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=627489
this is Directv(and their sub's) fault, we were with Dish for a reason and that reason is now gone
-Gary

Blaming D* subs is ridiculous.

Why not blame Voom subs for accepting 1440 and praising the PQ?

The fact is we are too small (and insignificant) a group to have enough leverage to impact that kind of change - and not smart enough to band together to gain that leverage.

How about we blame you personally for E*'s HD-Lite since you assured everyone that E* would correct the situation by the time CES rolled around and neutered any effort to rally a bunch of E* subs to complain when it might have still had an impact?

Oh, then it must be true. No E*subs have a Panny ED plasma and claim the picture is just as good as an HD set :rolleyes:

Maybe you should educate your friends.

I admit I do wish that the Directv guys would have made there self heard when it came to Directv downrezzing but all in all its nobody's fault except the people that made the decision to do it this way. I hope Charlie chokes while watching HD Lite Voom while he is getting raped with a 811 remote by a crazed satelliteguys member, sorry bastard.

CPanther95 said:
Blaming D* subs is ridiculous.
Why not blame Voom subs for accepting 1440 and praising the PQ?

My understanding is that Voom lowered HD to 1440 to accomodate more SD channels to increase sub count and that Voom was supposed to have restored HD back to 1920 though the use of the leased transponders on AMC-6 at 72.

When I signed up with Voom, it was almost done tweaking the new encoders; so I can't compare Voom DBS 1920 versus Voom DBS 1440. However, I have not seen the PQ of the Voom channels on Dish approach the PQ of the Voom channels during last days of Voom DBS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts