Dish Mover Questions

TalonDancer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
We’ve been Dish customers since 2006 and out of contract since 2008. We started with HD Only/Absolute (or what ever it was called back then), were forced to switch to HD America, then chose to drop down to the Welcome pack when Dish raised prices yet again. We have a ViP 622 and 1 HDTV in the cabin, where we have been living while we built our house on the same property. We don’t watch much TV. We are primarily interested in locals, which are unavailable OTA on our property due to distance and topography.

We would like to move the Dish service from the cabin to the house (at the same street address). We are happy with a single DVR and 1 HDTV. We have no interest in adding more equipment/channels if we would incur higher monthly fees.

Dish Mover questions…
* Should we use Dish Mover?
* Is Dish Mover truly “free”?
* Does Dish Mover require a 2 yr commitment?
* What are our options, if any, for a “free” DVR upgrade with the same monthly fees as the 622?

Thanks in advance

With it being the same address the Dish Mover wouldn't apply, we would have to do it under a customer work to relocate the DISH. If you would like to send me a private message with the phone number and 4 digit security code on the account I can get that set up for you, pricing would be dependent on the account history, so I won't know those details until I can access the account. The only way there would be a new commitment would be if there was an upgrade and you can upgrade to the 722 DVR from the 622 with w 24 month commitment, that would not change the monthly rate.

With it being the same address the Dish Mover wouldn't apply, we would have to do it under a customer work to relocate the DISH. If you would like to send me a private message with the phone number and 4 digit security code on the account I can get that set up for you, pricing would be dependent on the account history, so I won't know those details until I can access the account. The only way there would be a new commitment would be if there was an upgrade and you can upgrade to the 722 DVR from the 622 with w 24 month commitment, that would not change the monthly rate.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I couldn't figure out how to send you a "private message". So I "started a conversation" with you. I hope these "conversations" are really private. If not, I need to change my PIN ASAP.

You are good. Private messages are called Conversations. Unless you check the box to share it, it will be private.

When you build the worker order up make sure you add in enough job actitives to make it worth the same points and the tech gets the "normal" amount of time to it as mover for the tech that gets the work order.
I hate getting jobs that say relocate dish or relocate receiver and that is all and show up and have to call in and get the work order modified or rebuilt then pulled forward so I dont get shafted on points and allotted job time because I have to install a new dish or relocate the old one if its new enough and then run multiple rooms worth of cable.

That would be more of a dish corporate issue. The reps who build it, have no idea how many points each w/o is worth. I'd be surprised if they even knew there was a difference between over and relocation and diu on the tech side alone. They are not told about this. So building the work order, it will get built accordingly according to the business rules they have available. Especially if you call in, calls are now 100% recorded for agents.

The ViP 622 is already in the new house (sans a satellite connection) where we have been watching existing recordings. All the necessary hardware to ADD a new dish, mount and cable would cost me roughly $100 retail online. So….

The only way I would pay to have Dish “relocate” the service to the new house is…
1- the total cost to me is less than $100 and
2- the “relocation” included a new Dish 1000.2 with triple Western Arc LNBs and a flat roof/patio mount that would sit on my deck until I replaced it with a custom under deck mount and
3- a run of less than 100’ of coax (most of which is through exposed floor trusses in the basement) to a single ViP 622.

OBTW, since I have not been under contract to Dish for several years, I have the same incentives to switch to DirectTV as someone moving to a different address — free install including up-to-date DVR hardware, lower package cost for 12 months, free premium channels for 3 months….

You should do a dish'n'up. Get the hopper. Sure if you ask nice enough some freebies will come out of it. Hell, ask for the loyalty department and they usually will hook you up.

Dish Mover Let Down

Despite Jason’s help in getting as many fees waived as possible, Dish’s policies for moving a dish at the same address worked against us. The fundamental problem is that the Dish moving/upgrade policies are not well suited for Welcome pack subscribers who wish to move the service from one dwelling to another at the same address. The best Dish could do was an offer to have the dish moved at a cost of $100 or at least 6 months of Dish’s protection plan — $48. Any upgrade of the 622 would require a 2yr commitment to a higher priced plan and higher monthly DVR fees (unless we only upgraded to a 722).

We would have taken that offer (without the receiver upgrade), except we wanted to keep the dish mounted on the cabin so that we could move the 622 back there occasionally. Thats when things got really pricy. Dish won't install a 2nd dish at the same address, so Jason suggested using a local Dish retailer. Unfortunately all three authorized retailers are pretty far away. and really aren’t that interested in this kind of business because Dish does not subsidize it. A 1000.2 dish and 100’ of RG6 only costs about $100 online. So I was expecting to pay maybe $200 to install a 2nd 1000.2 WA at the house. The closest retailer wanted $450 + travel expenses!

Dish’s unwillingness to install a 2nd dish at the same address for a reasonable cost made it extremely attractive to switch to DirectTV. If a “free” move with an upgrade to current DVR equipment was going to require a 2yr commitment to a pricier plan and higher monthly DVR fees, we might as well switch and get the new customer discounts for the first year.

After some serious thought, we decided to stay with Dish for ONE reason — the low monthly cost of the Welcome package and 622 DVR fees. So I purchased a 1000.2 and 100’ of coax online and did the install at the new house myself. All up, it cost a little over $100 and an afternoon of my time getting the sat dish aligned with only the 622 as a meter. Having a dish on both the cabin and the house makes it easy to move back and forth while we finish up the new house. For example, we recently stayed in the cabin for a few days while the flooring guys installed the cork in the master bedroom/bath.

Everyday we watch less via satellite (i.e Dish) and more via streaming (e.g. Netflix). Once again Dish is missing out on our entertainment business. Blockbuster streaming is not available with the Welcome package, but Netflix, Amazon, Hulu+, etc. are.

Reactions: TheKrell
That's why I learned how to do my own installs for the newest sat dish and the latest receivers. Over the last 18 years I've done one at my parents house, my aunt's , my mother -in -laws and of course my home several times. I have had the dish 500, dish 1000,1000.2 and now the 1000.4 sat dishes. I own all my receivers on all three of my accounts and I do all my purchases and trade ins for credit through Mark at www.dishdepot.com. NO TAX If you live outside of FLORIDA state and he pays for shipping and returns. He ships the sat dishes with installation instructions and he sells meters for installs too. I've been doing business through Mark for last 11 years and I highly recommend him.

Reactions: TheKrell
... Blockbuster streaming is not available with the Welcome package, but Netflix, Amazon, Hulu+, etc. are.

And how much does Netflix, Amazon, Hulu+, etc. cost per month? I'm guessing a lot more than that Welcome Pack.

And how much does Netflix, Amazon, Hulu+, etc. cost per month? I'm guessing a lot more than that Welcome Pack.
Actually the Welcome pac costs us nearly $30/mo all up including the $7 DVR fee. And most streaming services cost around $10/mo all up. So you can subscribe to Netflix, Amazon, Hulu+ for about the same as the Welcome pac which is bloated with shopping channels, etc..

In general, you can sub to 2-3 streaming services AND the Welcome pac for about what Dish America costs per month. But you have a lot more choice and flexibility, since most streaming services are month to month with no contract (except Amazon Prime which is yearly and includes "free" 2 day shipping). You don't have to keep all the streaming services active all the time. You can sub to Netflix for awhile and switch to another service once you have seen the old movies/shows you missed, etc.. But the real difference is that with streaming services ALL your viewing is on demand.

The biggest drawback is that most streaming services don't have the latest movies/shows. For us this is no big deal. If we could get our locals OTA we'd drop sat TV in a heart beat.