DIsh Network Olympic Info

Cheeky Monkey said:
Yawn! Where's the HD coverage? I guess I can get it from my local NBC affiliate (KCRA DT 03-01) when it's available. I was hoping (it seems against hope) that DN would add Bravo-HD to their lineup for the O's. Just too much to be hopeful for, I suppose. :no

Bravo HD will have zero, count that, zero HD coverage of the Olympics. The HD feed is separate from all the other feeds. You can watch the events that are on Bravo on either the regular Bravo channel or the Bravo HD channel and they will both be SD.

Considering that the 921 has zero OpenTV support at this time, and that its a close relative to the 721, I'd have to say that its a safe bet.

What is the channel number for the highlights channel? I see 147 but that's for the 6-channel interactive application. It says the highlights channel will be in freeview mode, but unlike the 5 cable channels, it doesn't give a direct channel number for the highlights channel. That's important info for (a) receivers that won't support the interactive application, and (b) supported DVRs (like my 522) to record highlights.

Also, how does the TVGuide Channel factor into all this? It's mentioned at one point, but no further elaboration.

Q: Is Dish Home the same as Open TV?

Assuming it is, now that the 811 has Dish Home, why isn't the 811 having this feature? Is it a lack of memory?

RBBrittain said:
What is the channel number for the highlights channel? I see 147 but that's for the 6-channel interactive application. It says the highlights channel will be in freeview mode, but unlike the 5 cable channels, it doesn't give a direct channel number for the highlights channel. That's important info for (a) receivers that won't support the interactive application, and (b) supported DVRs (like my 522) to record highlights.

Also, how does the TVGuide Channel factor into all this? It's mentioned at one point, but no further elaboration.

The Highlights channel is 147. The interactive channel is 19006 and cannot be selected by that number. A screen capture of this channel was posted in another thread in this forum. The channel is still there and running a full 704 X 480i resolution. Hard to find that kind of treatment on some other channels.

NBC 2004 HDTV Olympics is 148 or 9425. BTW: at last check there was no content on this channel, but it was there all by itself.

Bravo HD+ will be showing the US Open HD for USA.

The 721 has DISH Home, but the weather and some other features have not been enabled yet. This is probably somewhat true of the other models listed as not having the NBC OLYMPICS SHOWCASE.

I am receiving word from a friend at Dish that NBC-HD is now being uplinked, with its full primetime schedule at night, although this channel is only available to engeneering.

So this means that the HDTV olympic feed will be coming direct from NBC and not a NBC station like WNBC.

Looks like Dish is waiting to announce this to dealers tommorow on the Retailer Charlie Chat. Of course SatelliteGuys.US will have full coverage of tommorows Retailer chat, be sure to join us

Here is what the Olympic Showcase will look like if you are lucky enough to have one of the supported OpenTV receivers. (Unfortunately I don't have any which are supported by this application)

Attachments

• olympics.jpg
    olympics.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 590
Ive had that channel on my FTA system for about 2 weeks now..:) (and no it is not hacked.)

6 different audio tracks...audio for each channel.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Here is what the Olympic Showcase will look like if you are lucky enough to have one of the supported OpenTV receivers. (Unfortunately I don't have any which are supported by this application)

Yet just about all of their PVRs (I'm not counting lease only PVRs) can't see the channel. EXCEPT for what, the old Dishplayers? Maybe their value will start to drift back up again for a few weeks....

Here is some updated info

Receivers:
Available on the: 3900, 4900, 111, 301, 311, 322, 501, 508, 510, 522
NOT available on the: 721, 811

Technical:

While in full screen mode, only the system keys will work (i.e. recall, info, view, cancel, etc.). The arrow keys, number keys, and DVR keys will NOT function until the customer completely exits the NBC Showcase application.

Press Select at anytime to go back to the Showcase.

If a customer exits the application to go directly to one of the NBC channels, the DVR Reverse will only work back to when the channel was tuned.

The 501/508/510 will have audio from only the NBC Highlights channel.

NBC Showcase is on transponder 24, orbital location 110.

If one channel within the NBC Showcase is locked, the NBC Showcase is also locked.

JohnH said:
The Highlights channel is 147. The interactive channel is 19006 and cannot be selected by that number. A screen capture of this channel was posted in another thread in this forum. The channel is still there and running a full 704 X 480i resolution. Hard to find that kind of treatment on some other channels.

NBC 2004 HDTV Olympics is 148 or 9425. BTW: at last check there was no content on this channel, but it was there all by itself.

Bravo HD+ will be showing the US Open HD for USA.

The 721 has DISH Home, but the weather and some other features have not been enabled yet. This is probably somewhat true of the other models listed as not having the NBC OLYMPICS SHOWCASE.
Thanks for the clarification. However, it still doesn't fully answer my questions. Let me rephrase them a bit:

(a) On supported receivers, will tuning to channel 147 bring up the highlights channel (with a trigger to launch the interactive application, like on the NBC cable channels), or go directly to the interactive application (i.e., you can only get the highlights channel via the interactive application)?

(b) Will unsupported receivers be able to go to channel 147 and watch the highlights channel? The press release suggests that the five NBC cable channels will be freeview even for unsupported receivers, but doesn't seem to say the same for the highlights channel.

And now, a third question:

(c) Will local NBC affiliates on Dish (LIL and/or distant) get the trigger to go to the interactive application, or just the NBC cable channels?

RB, tommorow at DishNetwork.COM there will be a flash demo of how it works available. :)

Some of your questions will be answered there.

Are they still saying it won't work on an 811 even though the 811s had their software upgraded this week to include DishHome?

problem pointing at 119

Tired of Dish... :|

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)