DIsh Network Olympic Info

It's all based on zip codes in a database. If your zip code is "claimed" by a broadcaster, then you are in that DMA. It is supposedly set by Grade A or B reception capability, but there are several folks who can't get a signal with an antenna the size of a B1B Bomber on their roof even though they are "claimed" to be served. The law supposedly allows you to request a signal test, but I have ever heard of anyone ever using this loophole successfully....

Channel 147 (the highlights channel) is now on the air, showing highlights from the 2000 Olympics. Telemundo, normally not part of my package (the other cable channels are), is also on now. No "triggers" are appearing as of yet.

Olympic options are now available on my 522's Dish Home, but choosing them brings up a "coming soon" error message. It may have to wait for the 2.03 upgrade and/or the opening ceremonies.

Just goes to show that it is a good idea to keep a 301 handy for stuff like this and for those wonderful and reliable DVR/PVR's when they go out of phase. One 301 doesn't take a lot of room on a closet shelf. Always believe in backups or redundant systems.

ByrdWatcher said:
Just goes to show that it is a good idea to keep a 301 handy for stuff like this and for those wonderful and reliable DVR/PVR's when they go out of phase. One 301 doesn't take a lot of room on a closet shelf. Always believe in backups or redundant systems.
What are you talking about? I wasn't talking about any 522 bugs; if I were, I'd have posted it in the 522 forum. (There's a long-running thread over there on its numerous bugs.) I was talking about the rollout of the Dish Olympic channels, which is what THIS thread is about.

BTW, if you had looked in the 522 forum first, you'd see that the 2.03 upgrade is rolling out right now. So if THAT is what the 522 6-in-1 channel is waiting on, it'll probably be there by the opening ceremonies.

works on 721

:D Showcase is now working on my 721 not on my 811. Is anyone getting the NBC HD feed I am in Pittsburgh and i know this one of cities it will be available in.

I have been playing with the interactive on my 721 and it actually works well. :) About the only downside I see about it is you can't pause or rewinds things when they are full screen.

I do give this a big thumbs up to the guys at Dish.

SimpleSimon said:
charper1 - why not post the name of the affliate and who you talked to - maybe you have some neighbors that would like to help pound them into submission - or at least fill their phone lines with calls. :D
I am 83 miles away from the tower and there are plenty of hills from here to there. Here you can read more of the common bitch and moan that affiliates dish out. THEY WERE FORCED? Then were is my signal?

Mr. Harper: To receive free over-the-air digital signals a viewer must have an antenna. In some instances simple UHF loop antenna works, in others an outdoor UHF antenna must be erected. WPSD-DT is assigned on channel 32. During the Olympics the NBC HD Olympic feed will be broadcast on channel 32.2 (Some TV receivers will show the station as 6.2).

As for my fellow affiliates--NONE of us wanted this Echostar/DirecTV deal. It was forced upon us, in a surprise and backroom deal, by NBC. The network, in our opinion has violated its affiliate agreement with us by selling the Olympic Games to the satellite company. The following is just a portion of an e-mail our Affiliate Board sent out this morning regarding the dispute:

On behalf of my colleagues on the NBC Television Affiliates Board of Directors, I am attaching an agreement reached between the NBC Television Affiliates and NBC in connection with our dispute over NBC's ill advised deal with DirecTV and EchoStar to distribute the Athens Olympics HD feed directly to satellite carriers. While this feed will not affect every NBC affiliate (see attached market list), the Board reacted loudly and quickly to what we viewed as a violation of our affiliation agreement and a bad faith gesture towards our partnership. We pressed NBC very hard to unwind the satellite deals on the basis that they violated the exclusivity portion of our affiliation contracts and the representations NBC made to affiliates. NBC claimed repeatedly that it could not reverse the commitment. Only when it became clear that unwinding the deals was not a practical reality did we endeavor to find an alternative resolution that would offer affiliates some economic benefits and assurance that this was an isolated incident and would not happen again but only if our resolution in no way prejudiced the rights of individual affiliates to protect and enforce whatever legal rights they may have under their individual affiliation agreements.

If you are not receiving any of the stations' digital signals (free and over the air) may I suggest that you evaluate you system. Because every DTV set owner I know is getting Channels 6, 12 and 3 DTV signals flawlessly. If you would like to discuss your set up please call my Chief Engineer, Joey Gill at 270-415-1938. He has helped many viewers with their DTV system.

Bill Evans
Vice President, News & Operations
WPSD-TV
270.415.2020 (fax)

ByrdWatcher said:
Who said anything about bugs. Read the whole thread from start to finnish. I give appluase to E for this.
You made a comment after my post that sarcastically referred to "those wonderful and reliable DVR/PVR's when they go out of phase". Sure sounded to me like you took my comment as a bug complaint when it wasn't. Sorry if I misread it.

NBC Showcase is on my 721 on dish home. There are six channels and when you click on one you get the audio. It is working great on my 721. I can see all the channels at
once. NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, USA, BRAVO AND TELEMUNDO.

charper1 said:
As for my fellow affiliates--NONE of us wanted this Echostar/DirecTV deal.........

Man that sucks, so I guess they didnt agree to the re transmission, :(

That's something that hasn't really been spelled out, but we're guessing that If you get a market that is eligable, via distants or whatever than you should get it

Well, I called my affiliate in Yakima, KNDU 509.737.6700 and spoke to some guy and asked why they wouldnt allow Dish to carry the HD feed even though they dont broadcast HD and he stated that NBC was still charging them for the HD feed and that Dish would not reimburse them for it so that is why. What a load of crap!!!

They need to see that all they (ba$stard local affiliates) are doing is further alienating their remaining customers in their illegally controlled monopoly. These guys have no concept of freedom of choice or producing top quality service so that people would choose their digital or HD over a satellite or cable based delivery. All they are concerned with is preserving that ad revenue.

problem pointing at 119

Tired of Dish... :|

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)