Dish Network Took My $600!

Emster

Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
:mad:

I have been with DN for about a year.
Due to my husband and I both losing our jobs, we couldn't afford to keep our service. It was turned off in the middle of December. So on December 30th, we realized that we wouldn't be able to get it turned back on so I called them and asked them to pick up their equipment. I told them of my situation and they understood. They told me that as a courtesy, they would send boxes for me.
That was it for the conversation.

Well, 4 days later, I found out that DN took $600 out of my bank account.
I called them and asked them why and they said it was in my contract and they would refund my money when they receive the boxes. I was NOT told this by the lady when I cancelled my services.
I hadn't even received the boxes yet in the mail!
That $600 was part of my mortgage. It bounced.
My father in law loaned us $600 so our mortgage payment wouldn't bounce a second time and be late.
Our trust with DN was now gone. As I was packing up the equipment, I realized that they had all the power (and my money!) and there was no guarantee that even when they received these boxes, we would get it back.
Whose to say they wouldn't try to keep my money by saying there was something wrong with the equipment???

So we decided that we would pay our past due amount to have our $600 refunded asap.
I called on January 7th to have it turned back on. The DN web site and automated line said to have my service turned back on, I would have to pay $124.04 plus $25.00 reconnect fee. So I called Customer Service and got Eric. I wanted to make sure I got my $600 back.
He clicked away and came up with a totol of $161.02. What???
He was telling me it was best to pay 2 months in advance. I told him I couldn't afford that. So I told him I would call him back cuz I wanted to make sure the amt I saw earlier on the web site was correct. It was.
So I call back and get Kim. She said then that I owed $76.04 + reconnect fee of $25.00. $101.04 total.
But then she started on as well about paying 2 months in advance. I said that's where Eric was coming up with that $161. I told her I couldn't afford that and asked if I could pay for 1 month in advance instead.
She said that I could. So my total bill would be $131.04($76.04+25+$29.99 1 month) and my refund from the $600 would be $468.96.
She then said it would take 3-5 days to get the refund.

So here we are today. I had a feeling I needed to call them to see if everything was going through okay. I got Casey at Customer Service.
She didn't even know anything about my conversation with Kim on Friday.
She was saying my refund would only be $403!! She wanted to take $195 out of my $600! I said I didn't authorize that amount, that it was supposed to be $131.03. My service is $29.99, but she was charging me $44.00 a month because she said my recievers weren't plugged in to the phone lines.
So we was charging $76.04 +$25.00 +44.00 +$44.00!
After a bit of arguing with her, she finally put the refund through as $468.96. It would take 3-5 business days PENDING APPROVAL, she says.
Oh great, what makes me think it won't be???

So I guess we will see what happens. I need that money back to be able to pay my father in law back.
I am in shock as to how DN treated me. To be able to go into someone bank acct and take out a large amount of money and then to use it to get more money out of you.
On the DN web site under FAQ's, it says how they understand when things happen to customers and they can't have their services anymore. That they will tell you how to send the boxes back.
Why don't they say on there how they will take $600 from you???

That would be a great question to ask ceo@dishnetwork.com . Make sure you give them your phone number and they will normally get back with you within a day or so. They are VERY helpful, alot more then the normal CSR.
Good luck and keep us posted on the final outcome. :)

Oh and also WELCOME to Satelliteguys.us :) .

Good luck.

I went through a dance like this a few years ago when I was on credit card autopay AND was setup for annual payment.

I didn't really realize that if I chose to annual pay one year that I would AUTOMATICALLY be setup to do that the next year. I assumed that I would go back to monthly billing, and that was what I wanted.

I requested a refund, and to be switched to monthly. This went on for about 5 months. I would talk to someone who said $xxx was approved for refund. I would check back later to find that the refund was 'refused' by another department. Turns out that by the time this 'other' department got the refund request, another month would have gone by and a months fees would be due! So $xxx wasn't available anymore, $xxx - 1 months fees was only available. I was so livid. :mad: Had some great emails back and forth. I think I ended up getting 2 months of free service.

Emster,

It sounds like you used a Check Card instead of a true Credit Card so this may not work, but it is worth trying.

I would call your bank and explain that Dish has made an unauthorized charge on your account and that you want to dispute the charge. If the bank agrees with you, they will refund the 600 and the overdraft fee and then contact Dish about the charge.

Good luck!

I hate DN

Thanks guys for all of your advice.

They did use my debit card to do this transaction. My husband did call my bank and they were willing to work with us until they found out it was in our contract that DN could do this.

I called them again this morning to make sure the refund was being processed.
Trisha said it was, but she said it takes 3-5 days. I then asked her if the "pending approval" thing was something to be concerned about and she said she doesn't see a problem with it going through.

Poor girl had to hear my rant for about 10 minutes. I told her it wasn't fair when I called to have my equipment picked up that I wasn't told that I would have $600 taken out of my acct. She said she WOULD HAVE warned me if I was talking to her.
She said if you go over 15 days without service they can take out the $600.
Well, I did call around the 15 days. I told her that it was my fault I didn't call immediately, I was just trying to see if I was going to come into some money to pay the bill. When I realized I couldn't, I called them.
She did let it out that they take out the money when they don't receive the boxes at a timely manner. I said,"I hadn't even received the boxes to send them back yet!!" She went a little quiet around that time.

But what REALLY infuriates me is that DN takes it upon themselves to decide how much to take out of my $600. They must think its free flowing cash in my bank acct. No, that money was part of my $900 mortgage payment.
I should only be forced to pay what I am behind, just like the web site said.
Now the web site said my acct balance is $403. So that's what they were saying my refund was going to be. That meant me paying a total of $197 for my $149 bill!
But the customer service try to bully me into paying 2 months in advance.
When it clearly states after reconnection, my first bill will be for 2 months.

I have emailed my complaint to the email address I was given ceo@dishnetwork.com
I really hope this all comes through easily. I just can't believe they treat their customers like this. And to think I gave up Directv for DN.
Never again.

You know, i had just recently cancelled my service because I moved into a place where there was no line of sight. When I cancelled I asked if there was anything due. CSR said no. I called back yesterday and the automated system said i had a service fredit of 20 bucks.

Hmm.

I asked my rcvr questions, which was my intention, and i asked about the $20 credit. "Oh, you paid the month in advance, and the partial month you had service was taken out of that. Would you like a refund?" You're damn right I want a refund! What do you think, I want Dish Network to hold my $20 for a few years until I move again?

Then I start to wonder how many people they just "forgot" to refund and kept their money.

Emster, Your first mistake was going to Dish, and your second mistake was giving them control over your money. I would NEVER give a company that much authority (power) over me. Never sign up for autopay, being credit card, debit or checking account. If they can't take a check from me each month, they don't need my bussiness.Sorry you had all these problems, hope you get it all worked out very soon.

Thanks. I know I will never do this again.
In fact, today I just remembered when the installation guy was here filling out the contract, he pointed to a blank line and told me to write my debit card number down. Both my husband and I looked at each other. My husband asked him why, and he said it for "filing" purposes. What a load of crap.

I typed up Dish network complaints on the internet and a whole bunch of things popped up.
Go to http://my3cents.com.
I am not the only one getting their money stolen by DN.

Does anyone know how to get ahold of the executive offices of DN?
Some anonymous guy had the same problem I did and got in touch with someone at the executive office and they gave him back his refund pretty quickly and he said they were much more professional than DN customer service.

Thanks!

bcshields said:
You know, i had just recently cancelled my service because I moved into a place where there was no line of sight. When I cancelled I asked if there was anything due. CSR said no. I called back yesterday and the automated system said i had a service fredit of 20 bucks.

Hmm.

I asked my rcvr questions, which was my intention, and i asked about the $20 credit. "Oh, you paid the month in advance, and the partial month you had service was taken out of that. Would you like a refund?" You're damn right I want a refund! What do you think, I want Dish Network to hold my $20 for a few years until I move again?

Then I start to wonder how many people they just "forgot" to refund and kept their money.

If the have been holding peoples' refunds for an extended period of time they have the potential for a serious tax hurt. Most (if not all) states have unclaimed (escheat) property laws that required them to turn over unclaimed items like this. If they don't turn them over the are required to pay over the amount plus significant penalties/interest.

Emster said:
I typed up Dish network complaints on the internet and a whole bunch of things popped up.
Go to http://my3cents.com.
I am not the only one getting their money stolen by DN.

Just for grins I went to this site and did a search on DIRECTV and got 39 hits. I then did DISH NETWORK and got 79 hits. So how did E* win JD Powers for customer service???

Emster, it sounds like they are charging you for the equipment not being returned on time. Not any type of early cancellation. I would check the promotion that you signed up under. The way it is mentioned in your first post, it sounds as though you may have two 322 recievers and be on the DHA plan where there is no annual contracts. It is stated in the contract that yiou must return the recievers within 15 days or they will charge your credit card $200.00 for unreturned 322 $100.00 for a 301 or 311 $100.00 for outdoor LNBF and $100.00 for Quad switch. Find out what they are charging you for and get the UPS reciepts as for when you recieved the boxes and the day your service was shut off and you made the call to them. I am sure that they will work with you. Sorry about the long post.

In a case like this - I actually use one of my Paypal accounts (with a debit card) - I can transfer in only the money needed for certain bills I pay out of it - its MUCH harder for someone to try to do a charge to. I rented a car off of the account recently - and they tryed to overcharge me (I have a discount card) - and were not able to. I have directv - and this is the card thats on file, and I use the same card when I have purchased new recievers.

The $600 that was taken was for the equipment. We have 2 receivers.

Just had to add this story I found:

May 22, 2003
ATTORNEY GENERAL SALAZAR ANNOUNCES SETTLEMENT OF 13-STATE CONSUMER PROTECTION INVESTIGATION OF ECHOSTAR OVER DISH NETWORK SALES

Denver--Attorney General Ken Salazar announced today that his office has settled a consumer protection investigation against Colorado-based EchoStar Satellite Corporation. The settlement resolves numerous concerns about the way EchoStar marketed and sold its Dish Network satellite television service. The investigation and settlement were led by Colorado, California, Illinois, Minnesota and Oregon. The other states signing on to the settlement were Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, New Jersey, New York, Ohio and Wisconsin. The terms of the settlement are contained in an Assurance of Voluntary Compliance, which does not require court approval.

Under the settlement, EchoStar must clearly and conspicuously disclose the material terms of its satellite television service and the financial obligations that customers assume before they purchase or lease a Dish Network satellite television system.

EchoStar has also agreed to pay $5 million to the settling States. Of this amount, $3 million is for consumer restitution and consumer education or consumer protection efforts. This amount will be divided equally among the 13 states. Each state will receive $230,769.23. Each State will be allowed to design its own consumer restitution program.

The remaining $2 million will be divided among the States for the costs they incurred in conducting the investigation and negotiating the settlement. Colorado will receive $250,000 as one of the lead states in the investigation and settlement negotiations.

"One of my consumer protection goals has been to work with businesses to provide clearer, and comprehensive disclosures to potential customers and better, more responsive, customer service if post-sale problems arise," said Salazar. "I believe we accomplished both goals with this settlement. I commend EchoStar for its cooperation and commitment to improving customer service, and for taking steps to avoid costly and protracted litigation of these issues," said Salazar.

Attorney General Salazar commenced an investigation in July 2001 after his office, and the Denver/Boulder Better Business Bureau, observed significant increases in the number of consumer complaints against EchoStar. The most common complaints alleged such things as EchoStar's failure to disclose a $240 early cancellation or termination fee when consumers signed up for Dish Network, and EchoStar’s refusal to refund any amounts that the customer prepaid for a year’s worth of service. Consumer complaints also alleged that EchoStar would automatically charge customer bank accounts or credit cards without authorization when EchoStar assessed a termination fee or other large charges, such as an equipment return fee.

The settlement requires EchoStar to clearly and conspicuously disclose, prior to sale or lease, all fees, including:

• required minimum programming fees
• availability of local channels
• additional charges for receiving local channels
• fees assessed for failing to return equipment
• fees associated with downgrading programming at the end of any introductory promotion period (so called “free-to-pay” fees)

The settlement also requires EchoStar to disclose whether service contracts automatically renew, procedures for canceling service, rescission rights and rebate policies, and whether equipment is new or reconditioned. Finally, EchoStar must disclose any "no refund" policy clearly and conspicuously before the customer makes any prepayment.

The settlement also requires EchoStar to establish more consumer-friendly practices to:

• Protect customers and third party payers from unauthorized electronic funds transfers from their accounts
• Establish a convenient system for customers to cancel their service
• Establish a system for receiving and resolving customer complaints in a prompt manner
• Ensure that all of its installers are properly licensed and bonded under State law

A new policy included in the settlement terms relieves customers of paying EchoStar's early cancellation fee under most circumstances. The settlement gives the customer the right to pay out the remaining term of the contract, rather than paying the $240 termination fee. Furthermore, under some hardship cases like the loss of a home, or when a consumer has to move to a nursing facility, the consumer is relieved of paying a termination fee.

Colorado consumers who have complaints on file with the Better Business Bureau or the Attorney General's office, or who file complaints before July 1, 2003, may be eligible for restitution. Consumers may file complaints by calling 1-800-222-4444.

Dish installers cost me 2 referrals

Will the 921 work with my DP34 Switch?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)