Dish on a UK TV

quadruped

Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
maine
OK, I arrived from the UK with 2 flat screen TVs (one a Panasonic TX-32LMD70) which are set to receive a PAL terrestrial signal. Just signed up to DISH but would like to use one of my not so old UK TVs to watch dish. I am assuming the output signal from my DISH box is NTSC. I have tried to tune one TV but only get a very grainy B&W signal on channel 60. Clearly the simplest answer is to get another US TV. But I would like to exhaust the potential of getting use out of my UK TVs. Any suggestions of how to do this? I have a DISH box set for 2 TVs and want to connect my UK TV onto the TV2 outlet. I have the aerial connector adapter to change US coax to UK coax

OK, I arrived from the UK with 2 flat screen TVs (one a Panasonic TX-32LMD70) which are set to receive a PAL terrestrial signal. Just signed up to DISH but would like to use one of my not so old UK TVs to watch dish. I am assuming the output signal from my DISH box is NTSC. I have tried to tune one TV but only get a very grainy B&W signal on channel 60. Clearly the simplest answer is to get another US TV. But I would like to exhaust the potential of getting use out of my UK TVs. Any suggestions of how to do this? I have a DISH box set for 2 TVs and want to connect my UK TV onto the TV2 outlet. I have the aerial connector adapter to change US coax to UK coax
Sorry but your SOL PAL625 is not compatible with NTSC/ATSC broadcasts. That B&W picture is as good as it gets unless your TV is multi format which is doubtful.

You didn't say what type of Dish sat receiver you are trying to use. If it is a VIP then you may be able to use the HDMI input on the set. You will not be able to use the RF input w/o the adapters mentioned (PAL or NTSC).

Thanks (and to Tampa8), I bought a box load of voltage converters from these sort of folks. OK, here comes the dumb question. I have a coax connector coming out of the wall, feeding from the Dish box several rooms away (just another issue of compatibility, I need an adapter to go from satellite coax to the UK standard coax, which I now have). None of these converters will take a coax input, they all want HDMI, component or one of the other video standard inputs. Is it possible to use an adapter to morph the coax to a useable input (I remember having a s-video to Scart adapter)? My Panasonic will take a wide range of inputs and can actually accept a NTSC signal through most of the 'video' inputs, just not through the antenna. Some of these converters are starting to get expensive and I can get a refurbished Visio 32" for just over $200 and save the headache. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet

Thanks (and to Tampa8), I bought a box load of voltage converters from these sort of folks. OK, here comes the dumb question. I have a coax connector coming out of the wall, feeding from the Dish box several rooms away (just another issue of compatibility, I need an adapter to go from satellite coax to the UK standard coax, which I now have). None of these converters will take a coax input, they all want HDMI, component or one of the other video standard inputs. Is it possible to use an adapter to morph the coax to a useable input (I remember having a s-video to Scart adapter)? My Panasonic will take a wide range of inputs and can actually accept a NTSC signal through most of the 'video' inputs, just not through the antenna. Some of these converters are starting to get expensive and I can get a refurbished Visio 32" for just over $200 and save the headache. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet
There is no convertor for what you are trying to do other than the PAL to NTSC and those are SD. As I said you have never told us what sat unit you even have.

If the converter will take composite (yellow wire) then you can probably hook the coax to a US VHS deck (you can usually find them at a place like Goodwill for around $5) and use the VHS deck to accept the incoming coax signal, change the tuner on the VHS deck to channel 3 or 4, and use the composite output of the VHS deck to hook to the converter. In theory. ;)

I can understand the desire to use a perfectly good tv, but a $200 refurb will probably be a lot less hassle an save money as well.
Those voltage converters probably use a lot of electricity and the adapters and what not to get an acceptable out put could get expensive as well

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

If the converter will take composite (yellow wire) then you can probably hook the coax to a US VHS deck (you can usually find them at a place like Goodwill for around $5) and use the VHS deck to accept the incoming coax signal, change the tuner on the VHS deck to channel 3 or 4, and use the composite output of the VHS deck to hook to the converter. In theory. ;)

That would be my suggestion as well. A thrift Store VCR with Composite RCA outputs, should do the trick to get you an NTSC Tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts