DISH, Please Use Us to Test Software

Never heard of Cadence nor Synopsys before. I guess I'm not intelligent.... :eek: And looking at what they're involved in, it's laughable to think anyone outside of that very specialized industry would have heard of them either.

Maybe it's because I assume other posters are intelligent.
Intelligence has nothing to do with it, in this case. EDA is a pretty specialized field that most people are unaware of, including many people in the tech industries.

People not only assume that chip, system, CE manufacturers do it all themselves, without the help of tools, which would be like thinking a carpenter builds everything by himself without any tools. But, companies like Apple perpetuate that idea with NDA's that keep their use of these tools a secret. I guess they feel it would tarnish their image if it was known they used tools to make something, which is as ridiculous as a carpenter feeling that way.

/OT

Back on topic:

As Scott has stated, Dish is already using a group of SatGuys members as part of their beta testing program, in addition to their other testers. So, there is no need to keep whining about Dish needing to do this. They already do.

And, this is very important, by bashing their beta testers, you are bashing other Satguys members. Think about it.

Finally, even if their beta testers did not include Satguys members, to bash them is misguided. Fault, if there is any, would lie elsewhere in the chain.

Bashing the testers is like bashing crime victims for merely reporting crimes.

Your post sounds like you're one of the beta testers.

I don't know where the 'fault' is but whatever they're doing isn't working. Lately every update breaks more things than are fixed. This thread was started because it SEEMS there is no competent testing going on. The results speak for themselves.

Your post sounds like you're one of the beta testers.

I don't know where the 'fault' is but whatever they're doing isn't working. Lately every update breaks more things than are fixed. This thread was started because it SEEMS there is no competent testing going on. The results speak for themselves.
The only thing that speaks for itself is your use of circular logic to prove an invalid point.
You are blaming the high crime rate on the victims who report the crimes, as opposed to the police, the criminal justice system, or any other entity actually capable of doing something about it.

You are, in effect, shooting the messenger.

Again MOST of the bug reports posted here are not reproducible to a majority of our members.

There are almost 3 million Hoppers out there today. And while there are some bugs that most can reproduce the overwhelming majority of the big can no be reproduced which again points to other variable issues within that customers home.

What I find funny (and I have seen this here in the forum as well as in PM's with users) is a lot of these people with strange issues sure do love to bitch and moan about them to DISH and here in the forum but when DISH wants to help them fix their issue by sending out a tech a lot of folks don't want DISH coming over. I have had comments to me saying "This Hopper is crap and no I am not letting their monkeys in my house and screwing with my equipment and wiring!"

How can DISH figure out what is wrong in these cases? And then these guys just keep moaning about how bad the bugs are on the Hopper.

A lot of these bugs and issues can be caused by something stupid inthe customers home, such as a bad crimp on a cable end, a pinch somewhere in the coax line, a single power strip that has 2 TV's, a surround sound system, 2 video game systems and a fish tank plugged into it, or they have the receiver plugged into a switched outlet, and everytime they are not using the system they flip that switch off meaning the Hopper can not doing its background maintenance and downloads.

I have been part of many betas with many companies over the years and I can tell you none of them were perfect and all could use some improvement. I am sure the DISH Beta Program is like that as well. Will it ever be perfect? NO.

Maybe we should make a SatelliteGuys Validator Group here... which would be a group of SatelliteGuys members who have Hoppers who would agree to test bug reports that are posted here, so we could keep track better if the bug is a real confirmed bug or a possible individual setup issue. I think something like that would actually help DISH as if we have a group CONFIRMING real bugs that they missed it will be quicker for them to be able to patch them.

Now thinking about it I like the idea... :)

Reactions: navychop
Maybe we should make a SatelliteGuys Validator Group here... which would be a group of SatelliteGuys members who have Hoppers who would agree to test bug reports that are posted here, so we could keep track better if the bug is a real confirmed bug or a possible individual setup issue. I think something like that would actually help DISH as if we have a group CONFIRMING real bugs that they missed it will be quicker for them to be able to patch them.

Now thinking about it I like the idea... :)

I would like to be in the Validator Group. I can also try out different configuration of switches/nodes to help someone troubleshoot problems. All of my switches/nodes are located in one area and I can quickly disconnect things and configure a different way to help troubleshoot different problems.

This thread has been replayed several times. My synopsys (not the company) is that other posters and I are noting that the Hopper performance has been degrading for more than a year. Recent updates have produced more problems than they have apparently fixed. The word apparently must be used because nobody knows or will publish a synopsys (not the company) of what said updates were supposed to do.

One nice thing I can say about our peeps here is that, to date, despite our differences of opinion, I have yet to see a response like "If you don't like your service go someplace else". That's good.

One nice thing I can say about our peeps here is that, to date, despite our differences of opinion, I have yet to see a response like "If you don't like your service go someplace else". That's good.

We Love Dish and the Hopper. Obviously this thread has gone circular. In the words of Fez, I say good day...

Dish sends the software to employees early as well, but I don't know that it's necessarily to beta test it, as it's maybe a week or so ahead of time. Plus many employees don't have time to beta test properly (at least I don't usually). And they don't really have anywhere to report it besides Dish's intrrnal forums.

Then it's not much of a beta test.

The beta testing I was involved with in the Navy, and in college before that, had defined test points/objectives and a standard reporting format. Methodology was up to us, but we had to specify every step. We also had to check "reproducible" or "intermittent." Checking the latter opened a can of worms and put the onus on us to "prove" it ever happened. As you can imagine, if we only saw it once - we saw "nothing!" Only if it occurred rather often would we report it.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

He said he didn't think it was beta testing and what he described, it's clearly not. They are simply in the first phase of release.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'd like to see software come out that allows my other hopper to access the recordings from the EHD I have connected to a different hopper in another room vs having to move recordings back and forth. I could basically add a HUGE EHD to both locations for a super amount of space to access.

I'd like to see software come out that allows my other hopper to access the recordings from the EHD I have connected to a different hopper in another room vs having to move recordings back and forth. I could basically add a HUGE EHD to both locations for a super amount of space to access.

Which of the existing features would you like to give up in order to have this function?

Everyone should start thinking of this when they think they want to request a new feature added to the Hopper, since most all recent "updates" are teaching us that we aren't allowed to have new feature(s) without at least one existing feature being fubarred in the process. I used to look forward to new features being added to play with, but to be honest, I've quit hoping for new features, because the Hopper just seems to get worse, slower, less reliable with every new thing added.

Reactions: Hall
One more reason to NAME EHDs. I could see "Movies EHD" and "TV series EHD" on Hopper two from Hopper one and choose.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)