DISH Price Increase 1/17/2013 (UPDATED!)

If Dish wants to hold the line on prices maybe they should try this and reduce the price of all tiers if you don't want sports.

New FiOS HD tier cuts sport channels for lower monthly rate

Verizon FiOS has created a reduced "Select HD" package without ESPN and other sports channels that costs $15 less a month than its "TV Prime HD" offering. The new entry is priced at $49.99 a month, compared with $64.99 a month for the Prime package. Multichannel News (1/22)

I think, since you have been a customer for less than a year, you would only have been eligible for $5 off until this July. Half price premiums + AT250 for 6 months netted you what...$6 off your bill? Pretty much a wash since it looks like none of your credits will go past July this year anyway. But after 6 months you'll need to do something about those premiums or you'll be paying more than the increased AEP price.

That's about as much as I figured.. and that 6 month point would be when my bill breaks the ludicrous $150.00 mark too. Even at $140.00, I can talk myself into it just to stay up on what's happening .. but I promise the value vs. cost argument will fail at $150.

I'd most likely drop everything, but be tempted to keep HBO a few months a year for Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones... and even then, I'd be tempted to sail the seas.... $18.00 a month for one hour a week a few months a year just doesn't seem logical at all.

If Dish wants to hold the line on prices maybe they should try this and reduce the price of all tiers if you don't want sports.

New FiOS HD tier cuts sport channels for lower monthly rate

Verizon FiOS has created a reduced "Select HD" package without ESPN and other sports channels that costs $15 less a month than its "TV Prime HD" offering. The new entry is priced at $49.99 a month, compared with $64.99 a month for the Prime package. Multichannel News (1/22)

Is it HD only? If so wouldn't it be like the dish America packages.

It won't be too many years down the road & AT120 will likely be more than a Ben Franklin.

Prices are out of hand for all pay tv providers. There has to be a tipping point somewhere when people say enough already. I don't think we're there yet, but well on the way.

I'll be downgrading come spring, the only reason I won't do it sooner is because of my wife. She's here all the time & does enjoy it. She takes good care of me, so this is 1 bill I will suck up for now.

In the short term I'm okay with the $6/month increase I got. I see it as basically a tax for getting BeIn Sports HD (which was a pleasant surprise to me) and real added value (again, for a soccer fan like me).

Of course, when the price protections run out in 18 months...I'll probably be feeling very different.

The Seasons DVD's aren't released until they are over.. Sometimes close to the next season. There is no way we'd wait nearly two years to watch the upcoming season.. Id find another faster, more cost efficient Avenue.
You mean you're too impatient for that. ;) DVD sets are usually released just before the next season starts. So you'd only be waiting a year.

Yeah waiting a year...:( Well there are always the torrents, and yes I know someone will write that it contributes to the cost increases. :cool:

.. waiting a year at the START of the new season. That's not looking at the fact that the next season of Boardwalk Empire doesn't start for about another 220 days.. so we're closer to two years than one.

Pirating is a symptom ... not the disease.

.. waiting a year at the START of the new season. That's not looking at the fact that the next season of Boardwalk Empire doesn't start for about another 220 days.. so we're closer to two years than one.

Pirating is a symptom ... not the disease.

The last season ended the first week of December 2012. So that means the next season will have had around a 270 day gap. Not even a year.

My thought is that if a series is good enough for me to spend my valuable time to sit down and watch the entire thing, then it is worth it to me to wait and purchase it so I have a complete on-demand catalog at my fingertips.

My thought is that if a series is good enough for me to spend my valuable time to sit down and watch the entire thing, then it is worth it to me to wait and purchase it so I have a complete on-demand catalog at my fingertips.

I pretty much feel the same way. My son and I recently watched both seasons of Game Of Thrones over my mom's HBOGO account (my brother and I split the cost for her and since she doesn't have internet, we watch HBOGO). We took a weekend to watch each season. Since most cable series are 10 - 13 episodes per season, it's pretty easy to do that.

But my son also took advantage of the Amazon Black Friday sales. He bought the last six seasons of Smallville for $9.99 each. And a few days ago Amazon had older seasons of HBO series for $19.99 per season. A lot cheaper to watch HBO programming that way and not pay for stuff you're not interested in. And you don't have to worry about the content being pulled.

Hopper install questions

Youtube App?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts