DISH Price Increase 1/17/2013 (UPDATED!)

thechaz05

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 26, 2011
Irwin
got my letter today from dish. I have the aep so not sure what it means. I already get the premiums in the package. they said in the letter that all packages went up 5 bucks. I am seeing 15 for the aep.

With the aep you should be getting a credit because of the larger increase, however if you take the half off offer I believe it will remove you from the aep and thus removing your credit. Could anyone confirm this?

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app.

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
This does not include Ohio Sales Tax. add another $7 for that. And no... No new credits.

Old bill:
America's Everything Pak 104.99
Blockbuster@Home 10.00
Solo DVR Receiver 10.00
HD Solo Receiver 7.00
Protection Plan 7.00
DVR Service 6.00
OH Gross Earnings Tax Reimburs 0.20
$145.19

New Bill:

America's Everything Pak $119.99
Blockbuster@Home $10.00
DVR Receiver $10.00
DVR Service $7.00
HD Receiver $7.00
Protection Plan $7.00
OH Gross Earnings Tax Reimburs $0.20
HD 250 Free ($10/Mo) $0.00
Monthly Charges$161.19

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Yes it is! I dropped the "lifeline" cable package to make up for the difference. Other members of the household have pledged to chip in for the packages they want. If it were solely up to me I'd be on "The cheapest" package with HD locals and DVR + Netflix and Roku. They are bugging me to get netflix, but I tell them if I add Netflix we lose a movie channel package or two. TV and internet are costing me more now per month than my first "real" car did.

mike123abc

Too many cables
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Yes it is! I dropped the "lifeline" cable package to make up for the difference. Other members of the household have pledged to chip in for the packages they want. If it were solely up to me I'd be on "The cheapest" package with HD locals and DVR + Netflix and Roku. They are bugging me to get netflix, but I tell them if I add Netflix we lose a movie channel package or two. TV and internet are costing me more now per month than my first "real" car did.

Perhaps drop the protection plan if you have not used it in the last few months?

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
I hope my bill goes down when I switch to Hopper/Joey!!

Old bill:

America's Everything Pak 104.99
Xtsy 29.99
HD Duo (2TV) DVR Receiver 17.00
Protection Plan 7.00
DVR Service 6.00
Program Guide 4.25
TOTAL $203.23
Monthly Savings
Cr: Agent 6 Of 12 -5.00
Cr: Agent 6 Of 12 -10.00
HD 250 Free ($10/mo) 0.00
-$15.00
TOTAL $188.23

New Bill:

America's Everything Pak 119.99
Xtsy 29.99
Blockbuster@Home 10.00
DVR Service 7.00
Protection Plan 7.00
TOTAL $224.98
Monthly Savings
Cr: Agent 7 Of 12 -5.00
Cr: Agent 7 Of 12 -10.00
Cr: Courtesy 1 Of 18 -10.00
HD 250 Free ($10/mo) 0.00
-$25.00
Prorated Charges
Jan 05 - Feb 05 Blockbuster@Home 10.34
Added 01/05, 32 days @ 0.3231
$10.34
TOTAL $210.32

kcburk

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 7, 2010
Mississippi
I'm seriously considering dropping paid TV at this point. Pay more for less content seems to be the nature of a dying industry. I think pay TV is on the way out. I myself am looking extensively into streaming options. With access to options like VUDU, Hulu Plus, and now with free views thanks to Amazon Prime (not to mention some networks stream their own content that you can watch later) why exactly do I need to pay $80+ a month for TV?

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
People also want to see things live and in real time and don't mind paying for that luxury.

and other than sports or news what else is "live"? ;)
And with DVR's how many of us dont even watch those things "live and in real time?" (as I record 5 hockey games right now)

lucky86

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 19, 2012
By the sea, in a land called Honalee
I agree with you but there are a lot of people who wouldn't give up the luxury of having someone install a system, maintain it, one device, one remote, one bill, phone/internet bundles,not having to buy and install an OTA antenna.. probably more people than you would guess and I would say they are the majority. This site has a lot of users but dish has many more customers.

Last edited:

fbara

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 15, 2008
Oswego, IL
Sports and live events are the only things keeping me tied to Dish, or any satellite/cable provider. My family is big on sports so losing that would cause me major headaches!

mike123abc

Too many cables
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
I agree with you but there are a lot of people who wouldn't give up the luxury of having someone install a system, maintain it, one device, one remote, one bill, phone/internet bundles,not having to buy and install an OTA antenna.. probably more people than you would guess and I would say they are the majority. This site has a lot of users but dish has many more customers.

Another way of saying that is that this site tends to have a lot more technical people following it, types that would experiment with OTA - a small minority of Dish customers.

Yespage

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Ohio
I'm seriously considering dropping paid TV at this point. Pay more for less content seems to be the nature of a dying industry.
Actually, pay more for less is the a la carte system. The industry system is pay less for more... in bulk... which will include a bunch of stuff you don't want to watch. While the a la carte is pay more (bulk wise), but get exactly what you want.

Skee7ix

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 21, 2011
Madison, Wisconsin
Yeah, I think they should add some a la carte packages, like they have in the commercial accounts. People say that "yeah, but those packages are like $20 each", I know, And I will only need 2 of them, which will have me paying less for what I want.

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
You get more CRAP for more money, but less quality content and the content you do get is scattered over 300 channels. A la carte would FORCE consolidation and make only the channels with programming people want survive. This is an old argument and one which the detractors say that the price per channel would go to 5 MILLLion dollars a month with a la carte. I have never once bought that argument. This argument is always coupled with the idea that if you have real a la carte bundling would disappear. You can have both! Just like in the grocery store you can buy bundles, or individually. Economies of scale and market forces would take care of most of this. Right now there are no real market forces since bundles are the only thing available and the public has no real choice.

I would rather not have this thread devolve into another a la carte vs bundles argument. But I had to respond to the more content for less money comment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)