Time for another subscription increase

But you can have 25+ and have such horrible ping that streaming isn't possible. This is the case with satellite internet. Just because majority of the nation has broadband does not mean it's good enough to stream or even download content for future watching. And if course there's starlink now but everyone I talk to snout it doesn't want to pay the $600 up front cost plus self install. So yes it's still going to be a good 10 years or longer before streaming can fully take over.
I thought it must be something like that. I used to have Hughes and a speed test always showed over 25 but it would not stream to the TV and even on my computer I had to lower the resolution on YouTube to 144p which is almost unwatchable.

Reactions: charlesrshell
$5 Hell!. The Welcome Pack is going up $9 ****ing dollars per month. Philo is looking better and better, since I do not watch any sports that isn't off my antenna.
Welcome Pack went out of style a year or two ago. The price hikes on that priced it well out of the bargain district, and that includes me getting TCM with it for whatever reason by accident. Flex is only $8 more!

Seems like a good opportunity for dish to push it’s 3 year price lock and lock customers in for 3 years (or face ETFs).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, some may not like what I post here in this opinion piece .

This first part, this is not a pro or negative about Dish, it is a negative about all of them Dish/DirecTV/Cable/YTTV/etc, this is not a time for a major price increase, especially for the lower tier packages, all that will do is push people away and for this coming year, new content will be at a minimum, you will be paying a more expensive price for content consisting of reruns and reality shows because of the strikes.

One TV Executive (FOX) has said if the strikes are not settled by Oct. 1, the season is over because of the production times to make a series.

The content providers are not blameless either, they should reduce the per sub fees because of the content issues, but there is no evidence that would reduce the monthly bill, but the content providers would not do it anyways.

Now what might peeve people off, we all know Dish is having major money issues, the 5G network is costing billions and not generating any income.

Their Cell Phone business has lost 1.7 million subscribers since they took it over, so Dish Subscribers are being asked to pay extra to help cover those expenses from both ventures.

I believe it is unfair for Dish to put all the burden on it’s TV subscribers, did they raise Boost’s monthly price, are they figuring out all to make money or sell their 5G Network, not that I have read, but it is ok to raise Dish’s monthly costs $5-$15 a month.

This is the second time in recent memory that Dish has raised the price twice in one year, 7 price increases in the last five years.

The other companies that have done that….Comcast and Charter, they have have two increases every year for the last 3 years and they are evil.

The hack earlier this year hurt them a lot with their own TV service and Boost mobile. They lost a lot of business I think.

The hack earlier this year hurt them a lot with their own TV service and Boost mobile. They lost a lot of business I think.

That was reported in Q2, not a real big increase, Dish -197,000. sling -97,000

Comcast had the biggest loss that quarter, -543,000

How does it compare to other ISPs, such as Frontier or Spectrum or Fios?
I have no idea who Frontier uses for their backbone but Spectrum is Charter + Time Warner Cable, the later is the Roadrunner (rr.com) network so they are a tier 1 backbone on it's own but only for their own customers. FIOS is Verizon so basically it's what was known as BBNPlanet and GTE Internetworking later renamed Genuity and they also own UUNet Technologies which is one of the big 3, UUNet was bought by WorldCom when they bought MFS which owned UUNet and ended up in Verizon's hands. BBNPlanet has a network number as 1, because BBN developed many of the technologies used in the 1960s and before there were all these backbones, 80% of the worldwide traffic was carried by UUNet, InternetMCI later known as Cable & Wireless USA and SprintLink which also costed more than the rest. Then lots of new companies built backbones worldwide so a lot depends on who you are connecting to as well since if you are connecting to someone who uses a backbone different than yours, then it would depend on how the traffic gets there as you want the shortest amount and it also depends where you are located as it also depends on how the networks peer with each other where they peer. That's why before when I was selecting which ISP to use either personal or as a ISP, what we would do is either have the companies selling the transit or other users provide traceroutes for some sites to see how they connect and use that as reference as a good example is we are a Hawaii ISP so even though there is a local Hawaii peering point located at University of Hawaii, Manoa called the Hawaii Internet Exchange or HIX, not all local traffic goes through the HIX as some providers to connect to something even across the street will require first going from Hawaii to California and then it will go on another network that the target site is using to get to Hawaii. So you would want to see who provides the best performance to the sites you normally use everyday as it also depends on location. What I meant with AT&T is that two of the three networks they have are considered high end and the AT&T WorldNet better known as ip.att.net is the inferior one but the chances of you connecting to those two is slim unless you either buy services direct from them or the provider you are interested in has connectivity using them. And ofcourse the best provider who I forgot the name of basically locally was connected to 10 or more major tier one providers so traffic would use the best routing to reach the destination and when I mean locally, I am talking about regardless where you as the customer is located, your connection is always to their local access point and from there, it connects to everyone so traffic never even uses the rest of their network as it takes the nearest exit on the best and shortest path to get there. But I could also be out of date on how many tier 1 backbones there are as in the 1990s, there used to be a Boardwatch Magazine that had all the tier 1 backbones listed with their maps of what speed their connections are and where their hubs are and where they peer publically and privately. But since this is the DISH forum, the best provider for other things might not be the best provider for using DISH Anywhere as for that, you would also want to know which provider has the best performance for DISH Anywhere and what networks they use and then at the other end, it is only good if the client you use to connect to DISH Anywhere is also fast so there is really no one fits all situation. But basically at the commercial level, Verizon/UUNet/BBNPlanet and AT&T ENS and AT&T GNS, Internet MCI/Cable & Wireless USA were priced at $2500 since they demand top level pricing, AT&T WorldNet and SprintLink would be $1,000 for the same product. AT&T is better than SprintLink as Sprint has two places where international connections come in, New Jersey and also Stockton, CA, the later is very congested which is why they might start with the $2,500 quote and then actually sell for a cheap price. For the cable companies, originally everyone except Time Warner did not have their own network but they all used Excite@Home's backbone and one day, that company failed and basically pulled the plug on all the cable companies and all customers of the cable companies had no connection so the cable companies all decided to each build their own networks.

Last edited:
That was reported in Q2, not a real big increase, Dish -197,000. sling -97,000

Comcast had the biggest loss that quarter, -543,000
Interesting that the numbers end in 97,000 for both dish and sling.

As for Comcast, I think their advantage over Dish is Dish doesn't own any of the media companies just like Charter but Comcast on the other hand owns NBC Universal if not more so basically they are also a supplier to their competitors and I think Comcast also owns Sky which is in Europe as well as Dreamworks Animation so they have different types of revenue unlike Dish not limited to only providing pay tv services as Comcast also is launching their own mobile network in the near future, not to be confused with their current Virtual provider with Verizon.

Someone upthread mentioned ATT fiber; turns out my son has it, a 1/2 hour up the road, and it's been rock solid for him. They even gave him a Max sub! We've been included on that, and it turns out they have TCM content (idk if it's the whole library, but still, cool)
Also contains all the Studio Ghibli stuff (Totoro, &c.)
We finally got rid of the Welcome pack after we got 2GB fiber in Nov, keeping on Pause until we exhaust our DVR content. Meanwhile we just use our OTA plugged into our Roku TCL TV. About as good as it'll be until ATSC3 comes around, and out here in the sticks, who knows how long that'll be?
Kind of entertaining to watch the Cable/Sat empire crumbling down around our shoulders, no?

Isn't Sling owned by DiSH? And doesn't it still carry ESPN (such that part of your sub $ goes there)?
Yes, that's why I said both ending with 97,000 losses seems suspicious as Sling was a company that DISH later bought out, they also bought Blockbuster, the company where people rented movies. ESPN is owned by Walt Disney so it would still be the pay tv providers paying Walt Disney in that case.

Kind of entertaining to watch the Cable/Sat empire crumbling down around our shoulders, no?
I guess that one depends like for people with recorded content on the DVR or transferred to EHDD's which includes all providers even though not all have EHDD's but if they have DVRs, if those companies were gone or the DVR service was no longer provided, basically there will be a lot of people upset as the content can no longer be accessed or basically useless for starters and I am sure there are people who somehow have either themselves or family members in the recorded content whch cannot be found anywhere else. So there is always a good side and a bad side.