Time for another subscription increase

not sure about other states, but in Kentucky there are still plenty of people that don't have high speed internet.
In fact, I have mine thru the local phone company & only have a top speed of 50, not really high speed
Over 25 is considered high speed, you can actually run at least 3 stream at 1080P with 50 and having others do normal stuff on the internet.

Reactions: charlesrshell
not sure about other states, but in Kentucky there are still plenty of people that don't have high speed internet.
Every state has some that cannot receive it, that makes up the 6 million households that cannot, since the average sized household is 2.5 people, that is 15 million people.
In fact, I have mine thru the local phone company & only have a top speed of 50, not really high speed
Have you tried the 5G option?

If you have great cell phone coverage , it possible it would be available to you.

Where I live, cell service sucks, so I have the phone set on wi-fi mode for the phone, like I posted before, great, expensive service from Charter, I would not of bought the house if high speed was not available.

Over 25 is considered high speed, you can actually run at least 3 stream at 1080P with 50 and having others do normal stuff on the internet.
But you can have 25+ and have such horrible ping that streaming isn't possible. This is the case with satellite internet. Just because majority of the nation has broadband does not mean it's good enough to stream or even download content for future watching. And if course there's starlink now but everyone I talk to snout it doesn't want to pay the $600 up front cost plus self install. So yes it's still going to be a good 10 years or longer before streaming can fully take over.

For all of you that are complaining about Dish’s price increase, how come you don’t take advantage of the 2 year price lock? I am currently in month 4 of 24 so I won’t see a price increase until 5/17/25. When that date arrives I will renew the 2 year agreement. I pay $176.39 for my Dish account and I enjoy watching a lot of content. I enjoy the simplicity of my two Hopper3 receivers. What I can’t understand is why anyone would pay huge prices for coffee drinks at Starbucks. But everyone needs to make their own decisions how they spend their money.

But you can have 25+ and have such horrible ping that streaming isn't possible. This is the case with satellite internet. Just because majority of the nation has broadband does not mean it's good enough to stream or even download content for future watching. And if course there's starlink now but everyone I talk to snout it doesn't want to pay the $600 up front cost plus self install. So yes it's still going to be a good 10 years or longer before streaming can fully take over.
Here, these are the actual numbers as reported by the providers, comes to 112 million households, does not include Hughes ( awful service) or Star Link ( which is faster then the 25 you posted).

112 Million, so that extra 13 million listed in the earlier link, which I assume sub to hughes, star link, whomever.

For all of you that are complaining about Dish’s price increase, how come you don’t take advantage of the 2 year price lock? I am currently in month 4 of 24 so I won’t see a price increase until 5/17/25. When that date arrives I will renew the 2 year agreement. I pay $176.39 for my Dish account and I enjoy watching a lot of content.
I believe you are missing the point, there will barely be any new content for the next year, so you are paying that $176 for a lot less, it will be all reruns and reality shows quite soon.

Reruns you can get for free on PlutoTV and the likes.

What I can’t understand is why anyone would pay huge prices for coffee drinks at Starbucks.
That is why I have what I have now, never been to a coffee shop, no fast food, always packed breakfast or lunch ( depends on my day back then), no spending too much on cars or houses ( my last two houses in Michigan were 800 and 1000 sq feet), all that extra money saved went into our investment account, did that for 30 years, you would be amazed how much that became.

But I include not spending too much on TV service, I remember when I canceled my last Traditional Provider to go to Playstation Vue ( then to YTTV), another $50 a month saved.

After Football Season, YTTV is gone, the only thing I watch on it is News and College/Pro Football, while every Pro Football game is now streaming, College is about 2 years away thanks to existing contracts.

For all of you that are complaining about Dish’s price increase, how come you don’t take advantage of the 2 year price lock?
Maybe some people don't want to be in a contract in case Dish drops channels they care about. I mean, it's already been demonstrated that there's no limit as to what channels they'll drop.

The only other option is fiber cable from ATT but I swore never to get back in the bed with those crooks.
As opposed to the crooks at all the other big telcos? They're all the same. I hate AT&T, but I get better service out of them than the crooks at Charter, Frontier, Verizon, etc., so that is who I have for internet and wireless.

I believe you are missing the point, there will barely be any new content for the next year, so you are paying that $176 for a lot less, it will be all reruns and reality shows quite soon.

Reruns you can get for free on PlutoTV and the likes.
This is the 2nd price increase this year for less programming.
Would you pay more for an automobile without air conditioning?
It's about value. When you pay more & get less that is not good value or good business for the customer.
And dish still controls what equipment quantity that you can have. Again, if the customer has the $ and wants certain
equipment, then they should be able to get it, especially when the customer can purchase the equipment that Dish
won't lease to them & activate it on the account. Doesn't make sense to basically turn down additional income.

Once high speed internet is actually available to everyone...I genuinely think we'll see the industry have a massive shift in how content is delivered. And what's available as far as 'packages' go.

Only for downloads but the upstream speeds would not be considered high speed for something that is 50Mbps download most of the time. Now if it was 50Mbps/50Mbps, that would be another story as that's faster than a T3 or DS3 which is 45Mbps.

Eggsactly. Speed is only one element as what comes into play is the speed of the upload and download and unless you had a fast upload, you are limited and then there is the latency factor since satellite latency is slower than connecting to something that requires going over big bodies of water like the Pacific and the Atlantic at some high 3 digit or more ms in latnecy.

As opposed to the crooks at all the other big telcos? They're all the same. I hate AT&T, but I get better service out of them than the crooks at Charter, Frontier, Verizon, etc., so that is who I have for internet and wireless.
Yes, what matters is it delivers in the service since unless it was a private company like sonic.net, don't expect customer service. Comcast while people hate them actually has something good is that they give credits without much effort when contacting them when you have problems like outages, etc which even sonic.net doesn't.

AT&T has three different tier 1 internet backbone networks and there is the AT&T IP backbone which was basically known as AT&T WorldNet that did not exist until 1994 which was built by BBNPlanet for AT&T, it used BBNPlanet which was a NSFNet funded regional network later known as GTE Internetworking and now Verizon for things that it can reach and InternetMCI's backbone for anything it can't reach by BBN, this is what the current AT&T DSL/Fiber/U-Verse all uses and crap compared to their other two tier 1 backbone networks. They also have AT&T Global Networking Services which was formerly known as IBM Global Networking Services that AT&T bought, this one was the largest ISP in the world with hubs everywhere and is good. The third is AT&T Emerging Network Services which was known as CERFNet (California Educational and Research Network) which was a National Science Foundation funded research network that AT&T bought which is also good. The AT&T I am referring to is AT&T Inc, the long distance company and not the current AT&T which is SBC (Southwestern Bell Communications) which was a Regional Bell Operating Carrier that was the result of the AT&T monopoly split that bought the real AT&T and just renamed itself from SBC to AT&T.

Last edited:
For all of you that are complaining about Dish’s price increase, how come you don’t take advantage of the 2 year price lock? I am currently in month 4 of 24 so I won’t see a price increase until 5/17/25. When that date arrives I will renew the 2 year agreement. I pay $176.39 for my Dish account and I enjoy watching a lot of content. I enjoy the simplicity of my two Hopper3 receivers. What I can’t understand is why anyone would pay huge prices for coffee drinks at Starbucks. But everyone needs to make their own decisions how they spend their money.
The 2 year price lock is a good idea except in my case, my house will be torn down and then rebuilt to be longer and taller so basically I don't know when it will start as it depends when I send in the application which for the construction will take 1.5 years to 2 years where I won't need the service so is there a way to basically suspend service for that entire time while on the 2 year price lock when it is needed as I think DISH doesn't allow suspending services that long since there won't be a house during that time for the DISH service anyways so it's not like I can suspend to the maximum time allowed, then repeat the suspending which will still cost. In my case, I am paying $182.32 for America's Top 250 + Local channels $124.99, $15.00 for the Hopper 3, $10.99 DSH Protect and $29.99 for Cantonese TVB Jadeworld. The only thing I watch 99.9% of the time or even record is Cantonese TVB Jadeworld as the content there has kept me busy enough 24/7/365 so the other stuff is just there should I need it.

What kind of idiot ran up such a debt on reality TV pap?
It's a public company and unless they were Apple as a example, they would not have cash in their hands so it's not their personal liability so just like the rich, they do not sell assets when needing something else, they just borrow and the debts all add up. Same reason they go public as the original shares were sold at a higher price so they have more money and then the market capitalization for the company also drives up the value of the company and the debt is there for tax writeoffs among other things I am sure. Even if the company goes under, the idiot won't be responsible , yes they might get booted by the board but they still won't be liable for the debt since it's not their own personal money and they will still get paid highly in their benefits package even if they do take the $1 annual salary like some CEOs do for example.

For those who want to know what's available for internet options and speeds, FCC does have a database which I only learned about a few weeks ago where you can type your address in and it will show you what speeds and who offers them for that address at https://broadbandmap.fcc.gov/home. If you want to know what speeds are the fastest and how far you are should you be in a lower speed area, click on the cogwheel and then select the highest speeds you know are available and it will show you which addresses have it and which don't.

For those who want to know what's available for internet options and speeds, FCC does have a database which I only learned about a few weeks ago where you can type your address in and it will show you what speeds and who offers them for that address at https://broadbandmap.fcc.gov/home. If you want to know what speeds are the fastest and how far you are should you be in a lower speed area, click on the cogwheel and then select the highest speeds you know are available and it will show you which addresses have it and which don't.
Well, already give me incorrect info.

Had Charter correct ( which I have), then Century Link, then the Satellite Services like Hughes, Star Link.

Then it listed T-Mobile and Verizon, neither is available at my house , I would not mind if it was for a back up service, cell servce here really sucks, not near to a tower.

Well, already give me incorrect info.

Had Charter correct ( which I have), then Century Link, then the Satellite Services like Hughes, Star Link.

Then it listed T-Mobile and Verizon, neither is available at my house , I would not mind if it was for a back up service, cell servce here really sucks, not near to a tower.
It might not be 100% up to date and it's probably based on the providers reporting to them. I never thought it would cover Satellite services since I thought it was either Fiber, Cable, xDSL or Mobile. All I know is for my address, Comcast currently is the fastest thing but 500 ft in either direction, people can get 1Gbps/1Gbps fiber at $39.95 for less than I pay for 1.2Gbps/35Mbps at $80, I can get up to 2Gbps/35Mbps on Comcast. What I find interesting is for the 1Gbps/1Gbps, it's like the houses on one entire block were no available and only the last address had it so it's YMMV as it depends how accurate their database is and where they get the information from as well as when it was last updated, not the date it shows as it seems like it's been updated after that according to other people on DSLreports.com who said it was pretty accurate.