Time for another subscription increase

The condescending tone of your reply is not appreciated. I don't think you took the time to fully read my post before having a tantrum about it

I said "It seems like the media companies and Dish's solution for declining subscribers is to raise prices to help make up the difference." Yet you imply that I don't know that media companies (providers) are raising their prices.

Lighten up. It's just TV.
I think I answered not just your post but the posts in front of it and those that will follow bemoaning yet another subscription raise. I wasn't singling you out.

Is that $62 for Flex Pack with locals? As I am paying $47 now+$12 for locals.
says at the bottom-

and package prices do not include $12/month for local channels except for Welcome Pack and DishLATINO Básico.

So with locals, flex is $74.99, I believe based on what is written.

What Bobby said is valid but also there is the other side, where if you are losing subscribers. Raising prices will only lose more subscribers while lowering prices will get new subscribers, it's similar to selling something for a higher price but low demand versus selling something with a lower price with higher demand but ofcourse it should be sold at a price higher than cost either way. Demand vs Supply. Remember while streaming may be cheap, it does not come with dedicated connection so you would instead have to invest in the internet connection and guess what, your redundancy for failure also went down since if your internet is down, everything that uses it is down while with DISH or Cable, unless you lost your electricity as in a power outage, one of them will still be available.

Ok, some may not like what I post here in this opinion piece .

This first part, this is not a pro or negative about Dish, it is a negative about all of them Dish/DirecTV/Cable/YTTV/etc, this is not a time for a major price increase, especially for the lower tier packages, all that will do is push people away and for this coming year, new content will be at a minimum, you will be paying a more expensive price for content consisting of reruns and reality shows because of the strikes.

One TV Executive (FOX) has said if the strikes are not settled by Oct. 1, the season is over because of the production times to make a series.

The content providers are not blameless either, they should reduce the per sub fees because of the content issues, but there is no evidence that would reduce the monthly bill, but the content providers would not do it anyways.

Now what might peeve people off, we all know Dish is having major money issues, the 5G network is costing billions and not generating any income.

Their Cell Phone business has lost 1.7 million subscribers since they took it over, so Dish Subscribers are being asked to pay extra to help cover those expenses from both ventures.

I believe it is unfair for Dish to put all the burden on it’s TV subscribers, did they raise Boost’s monthly price, are they figuring out all to make money or sell their 5G Network, not that I have read, but it is ok to raise Dish’s monthly costs $5-$15 a month.

This is the second time in recent memory that Dish has raised the price twice in one year, 7 price increases in the last five years.

The other companies that have done that….Comcast and Charter, they have have two increases every year for the last 3 years and they are evil.

The tv writers strike and the actors guild strike have ruined broadcast tv and are just driving more people to streaming. Yet the networks, who are showing reruns are screaming for more money, yet if you check their profits, they made $billions$ last year. And so did the programmers.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes my WIFE has a "Gun pointed at my head" if I dare switch providers where all the channel #'s are different and the remote. Trying to switch to Sling maybe next year.
It took my wife two weeks to get used to YTTV.

Her biggest problem was the inputs on the Receiver, switching thru them and the multiple remotes.

She was so happy when we bought a TCL 6 Series Roku TV and starting using ARC, so only the Roku remote was needed.

The tv writers strike and the actors guild strike have ruined broadcast tv and are just driving more people to streaming. Yet the networks, who are showing reruns are screaming for more money, yet if you check their profits, they made $billions$ last year. And so did the programmers.
I read yesterday that Warner Bros Discovery Media Company is on track to lose $500 million dollars this year- due to the strike. If the actors and Writers were properly compensated as they asked it would cost the media company $45 million, but they would go back to work. So the media company would rather lose $500 million ? What kind of logic are they using there. Better to pay the $45 million and share the wealth and save the $500 million, but it proves that the Media companies are short sighted and it will lead to their downfall. But unfortunately we will have nothing new this year or next year at this rate. :rolleyes:

Too bad there isn't a reverse chain reaction effect that since DISH, Cable or let's just call it Pay TV is losing subscribers, they have to lower costs to retain the customers which is one reason people are leaving so the Pay TV companies will have to negotiate for lower prices from the content providers as basically, their income is going down as people are leaving and they also would not have the money to pay the content providers either because they are receiving less money even if the prices went up because they have less subscribers and less total income as time moves on. And when the content providers keeps raising prices, all that will do is put the Pay TV companies in financial trouble since sooner or later, they will not have enough income to be able to pay the content tv providers and basically the Pay TV companies would go under and as a end result, the content providers will eventually go under because they now have less commercial customers who are the ones keeping them alive so the end result is customers from the Pay TV companies are leaving which means less revenue for the Pay TV companies even if prices did not go up, then because of that, the Pay TV companies also has less money to spend which means sooner or later, they too will no longer be buying from the content providers which means the content providers has less PayTV companies as customers and eventually even the content companies will be dying because they now have less big money coming in.

I read yesterday that Warner Bros Discovery Media Company is on track to lose $500 million dollars this year- due to the strike. If the actors and Writers were properly compensated as they asked it would cost the media company $45 million, but they would go back to work. So the media company would rather lose $500 million ? What kind of logic are they using there. Better to pay the $45 million and share the wealth and save the $500 million, but it proves that the Media companies are short sighted and it will lead to their downfall. But unfortunately we will have nothing new this year or next year at this rate. :rolleyes:
Maybe the logic is what the long term loss is since the $500 Million might just be a one time thing while the $45 Million might cost $45 Million now but the long term costs for actors and writers being properly compensated would cost more than $500 Million in the long term. Warner Brothers Discovery Media isn't exactly the best when it comes to management as the problem goes back to 2000 or so when AOL Inc and Time Warner merged to become AOL Time Warner and later spinning off different companies with Time Warner Cable going to Charter now known as Spectrum and the rest of the company being sold to AT&T, not the original AT&T as in Ma Bell but SBC (Southwestern Bell Corporation) which was a RBOC which bought AT&T Inc. and then kept the name. Warner Bros Discover was basically AT&T spinning off Warner Bros Media and then WBM merged with Discovery.

I read yesterday that Warner Bros Discovery Media Company is on track to lose $500 million dollars this year- due to the strike.
Warner Bros Discovery total liabilities for the quarter ending June 30, 2023 were $82.139 Billion.

What’s another $500 million going to do when they have that much debt.

The company is ******.

Yes people are going to streaming, but what about those that don't have high speed internet? They don't have many options. Dish continues to raise prices but yet they have limits on equipment customers can have. Let the customer have what they want and price increases wouldn't have to occur twice a year

Yes people are going to streaming, but what about those that don't have high speed internet? They don't have many options. Dish continues to raise prices but yet they have limits on equipment customers can have. Let the customer have what they want and price increases wouldn't have to occur twice a year
Not that many anymore, 125 Million Households ( out of 131 million) now have broadband.

Thanks to the government, really has expanded in the underserved areas.

Including my area, bought the house here in Florida (rural area, septic, well, every house has at least 2 acres) in 2020, found out they did not get broadband until 2018, thanks to grants from the state and federal government.

Prior to that, we lived in populated metro areas in Michigan ( metro detroit area), had broadband since 1997/98.

here-

125 million households

The number of households in the United States with permanent internet access via broadband continues to rise, reaching over 125 million households in 2021. The United States are one of the biggest online markets worldwide.Aug 15, 2023

Ok, some may not like what I post here in this opinion piece .

This first part, this is not a pro or negative about Dish, it is a negative about all of them Dish/DirecTV/Cable/YTTV/etc, this is not a time for a major price increase, especially for the lower tier packages, all that will do is push people away and for this coming year, new content will be at a minimum, you will be paying a more expensive price for content consisting of reruns and reality shows because of the strikes.

One TV Executive (FOX) has said if the strikes are not settled by Oct. 1, the season is over because of the production times to make a series.

The content providers are not blameless either, they should reduce the per sub fees because of the content issues, but there is no evidence that would reduce the monthly bill, but the content providers would not do it anyways.

Now what might peeve people off, we all know Dish is having major money issues, the 5G network is costing billions and not generating any income.

Their Cell Phone business has lost 1.7 million subscribers since they took it over, so Dish Subscribers are being asked to pay extra to help cover those expenses from both ventures.

I believe it is unfair for Dish to put all the burden on it’s TV subscribers, did they raise Boost’s monthly price, are they figuring out all to make money or sell their 5G Network, not that I have read, but it is ok to raise Dish’s monthly costs $5-$15 a month.

This is the second time in recent memory that Dish has raised the price twice in one year, 7 price increases in the last five years.

The other companies that have done that….Comcast and Charter, they have have two increases every year for the last 3 years and they are evil.
dish customers paying for bad investment decisions on things unrelated to dish. so is this the new trend, increases every 9 months while sending all of the support calls out of the US to people that can barely speak english and have no idea what the customers are even talking about.