Dish Rated as Worst Company to Work For by Employees

The problem that many businesses have is that they look at their employees as their biggest expense, instead of their biggest asset.

It is the employees that create the products and provide the services that generate the revenue. It is not the CxO class, or the VP's, or the Directors, or the Managers. It is the engineers, technicians, CSR's, admins, inventory, cashiers, facilities, IT, accountants, and, as much as I dislike most of them, salespeople.

Companies that do not treat those employees with dignity and respect do not understand that simple fact, and are doomed to a level of success below those that do a better job of it.
The problem is most company feel this way today. :eek:

America

1. Dish Network
> Rating: 2.2
> Number of reviews: 346
> CEO approval rating: 32% for Joseph Clayton
> One-year stock price change: up 37%
> Employees: 34,000
Dish Network Corp. (NASDAQ: DISH) employees have the overwhelming task of managing more than 14 million subscribers. And Dish management has to be worried about its relationship with customers. It has been losing subscribers in an industry that includes streaming providers like Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX), cable companies and telecoms, which have introduced fiber to the home. Customers at Dish are also likely to be upset because of battles between the network providers and the satellite company over carriage fees. AMC was recently off the Dish system for over a month.
Many reviewers objected to the company’s long hours and no holidays. “You work all day all night. Your day starts from 6:45am till 6pm or 10pm You work every holiday that your day falls on.” It is no surprise then that reviewers suggested employees were unhappy with management, citing “mandatory overtime” and “no flexibility” with schedule. Perhaps the dissatisfaction of employees is affecting customer satisfaction. MSN Money awarded Dish a spot in its 2012 Customer Service Hall of Shame, noting that Dish’s customers did not like that the broadcaster had dropped channels and seemed to prioritize sales over quality service.

Read more: America’s Worst Companies to Work For - 24/7 Wall St. America
Ok.........34,000 employees, 346 reviewed. And this is the basis for their article. One thing I try to do is find out who is who is writing this article (24/7 Wall St.) and who came up with the numbers ( Glassdoor). I am less impressed with them then I am with the article. Looks like a 2 companies trying to get as much coverage as they can by using a minor percentage of reviews. You do realize you can get surveys to turn out any way you want just by narrowing your demographic to those who will answer your questions favorable to your desired outcome.

If the articles reviews are from subscribers, 346 out of 14 million, the article was a total waste of bandwidth.

Now I am not saying that Dish has no problems, it clearly does. It should strive to do better. And my only hope is it will do so.

Now if there was a study/review of at least 50% of Dish employees and this was the outcome, my conclusion would be yes, Dish has a problem with its employees

I have noticed that the last few times I've had techs. out they seemed to be stretched more thinly than in previous years, really being pushed to get an extra service call in, and having a very strong sense that they were racing a clock. They were never rude and never skimped on the work, but they did seem to be under pressure that wasn't there before, like any complication was going to end up costing them. They've also seemed almost pushed into pointing out that the 1-10 customer service phone survey is counted against them if you give them anything under a nine.

I'm not sure, however, if that is Dish or the local installer company (which covers a large geographic area of spread-out population) that is cutting back or not hiring enough.

I personally don't believe anything TV related warrants customer service people or installers having to work on holidays. It doesn't say much for Dish or the folks who call customer service or schedule an install on a holiday.

I agree with the survey as a former employee it is a terrible place to work, mandatory overtime for the past 2 months is excessive, I feel bad for my friends that are still there. I left on my own and so there is no bad blood but it's the truth and I'm so happier at my new job.

I have had many jobs where I had to work holidays and have seen several job applications asking if applicant has a problem with mandatory OT. If you are told this while applying and you accept the job, it falls on you and not the employer.

garys said:
I have had many jobs where I had to work holidays and have seen several job applications asking if applicant has a problem with mandatory OT. If you are told this while applying and you accept the job, it falls on you and not the employer.

Here is the thing, there is and was no reason for this practice, there was no call volume to support it, with the AMC takedown it did not have the impact that "was" expected and yes I did expect working holidays they are cake walks and its easy money I'm not complaining about that. What I did not like was that dish would spring the mandatory overtime with little or no notice and would just put it on your schedule with no input, I was very flexible but they would just put it on without warning and I live 30 miles from the call center. Dish is burning their employees at both ends and is causing major resentment and the management is doing nothing but going on "outings" and "team building outings".

It's funny all the people taking up for dish don't actually work there. And yeah mandatory holidays is not really the problem. Working a holiday with no additional pay or incentive to work is the problem. And like I said before ask what is involved in a trouble call.

Literally a stupid survey. It is all based on feedback dish has on a single website, glassdoor.com. Essentially a site for people to complain about the company they work for. I don't doubt Dish has issues, perhaps even significant issues, but I'm pretty sure that is the same for many companies with lots of employees. Basically the story is an add for that site. Folks will go there, find the company they work for, and if so motivated bitch about it.

Literally a stupid survey. It is all based on feedback dish has on a single website, glassdoor.com. Essentially a site for people to complain about the company they work for. I don't doubt Dish has issues, perhaps even significant issues, but I'm pretty sure that is the same for many companies with lots of employees. Basically the story is an add for that site. Folks will go there, find the company they work for, and if so motivated bitch about it.

Ask any technician who's been with Dish Network for more than 30 days what it's like.

It's to the point where any tech who isn't actively seeking employment elsewhere is automatically put on 24 hour suicide watch.

Ask any technician who's been with Dish Network for more than 30 days what it's like.

It's to the point where any tech who isn't actively seeking employment elsewhere is automatically put on 24 hour suicide watch.
I don't doubt it. But it doesn't take away from Mike_H's point whatsoever.

It isn't so much about that they work every holiday (and force their employees to do the same) it is the way they handle scheduling. A customer calls in on December 23rd complaining that their remote doesn't always work, but it isn't a real bad problem. The CSR says, OK we will have a tech out Dec. 25th between 8am and noon. The customer says, HEY, no, we don't want anyone out on Christmas morning or to make some one work then. CSR says, that's our next opening, you have to take it then. The customers tell us they tried to tell Dish they didn't want it then but they were more or less force to take it.

The other thing that makes at least the techs VERY disgruntled. We are paid say $200 to sell & install a 1 TV system. if there is a problem with the system in the first 60 days, the tech has to go out for no pay and fix it. They also get demerits and possibly charged back all the money they were paid for the install + $100. Even if the problem was not the installers fault. Like cat pees on receiver or cable cut by gardener etc. If an inspector happens to roll on the svc call and the sticker was not perfetly placed on the remote it can be a full charge back, customer buys a Bluray player and puts it on top of the Sat Receiver, charge back, etc. Even if the CSR creates a trouble call in the first 60 days by accident and then deletes it, it still counts as a demerit against the tech and/or business. The list of ridiculous rules goes on, you would be amazed. Please don't offer a tech a glass of water on a hot, or any day, they can be fired for taking that.... Beyond 60 days they are still on the hook, but not quite as bad.

It really is amazing how they treat their techs, many wonder if it is legal, but I can definitely see that approval rating.

I Please don't offer a tech a glass of water on a hot, or any day, they can be fired for taking that.....

Wait. Can someone else confirm this, because that is beyond F-ed up. In my little town it would be pretty unthinkable not to pay such a basic courtesy to someone who spends time working in your house on a hot day.

satjay said:
Fired for taking an offer on some water? I find that a bit hard to believe

I have done installs for companies on the past where the official party line was not to accept anything, but I never saw anyone let go over it.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

Let's see... All the people who work for Dish say that they are the worst company to work for and the people sticking up for Dish work who knows where... Who has the credibility?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)