Dish Site Survey Questions

QuakerDave

Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Yorktown
Newbie here, Sat Guys, so be gentle.

I’m building a house in Williamsburg, VA. I will be a first-time Dish subscriber (cable wiring access was on wrong side of current house to get wife to agree to installation; plus we already had tentative plans for new house).

The builder says he’ll be scheduling the structured wiring in several weeks, after the electrician does his thing. I’ve talked with the guy who’ll do the wiring, and he doesn’t know squat about Dish Network.

My question is how do I go about getting a site survey from Dish to make sure all the wiring is in place before it’s too late to make inexpensive changes? I would prefer not to be locked in to any one particular dealer or installer before I am ready to actually order service.

Are any installers likely to perform site surveys of current construction projects without a guarantee of future business?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Next time you see a Dish truck in your area ask the technician if he would do the survey for you.Offer him some CASH for his time and he will likely to take you up on your offer.

Run 2 RG6 cables rated at Dish specs or higher to every room as well as at least one (I'd run at least two) Cat 6 cable from a central node. It easier to run excess cable when you're building than after the fact. As for where the cable will enter your house, that should come from the survey.

all cables should run to where main electric panel will be installed. Hire a professional installation contractor in your area for a site survey. The satelliteAV link up at top of page has a listing of local installers that can do the work.

Newbie here, Sat Guys, so be gentle.

I’m building a house in Williamsburg, VA. I will be a first-time Dish subscriber (cable wiring access was on wrong side of current house to get wife to agree to installation; plus we already had tentative plans for new house).

The builder says he’ll be scheduling the structured wiring in several weeks, after the electrician does his thing. I’ve talked with the guy who’ll do the wiring, and he doesn’t know squat about Dish Network.

My question is how do I go about getting a site survey from Dish to make sure all the wiring is in place before it’s too late to make inexpensive changes? I would prefer not to be locked in to any one particular dealer or installer before I am ready to actually order service.

Are any installers likely to perform site surveys of current construction projects without a guarantee of future business?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
if i lived there I'd do the survey for a small refundable fee (provided I did the install)

Ok....next time you get the chance procure a copy of the house plans.
Pick out the locations you want to the coax runs and phone jacks. I recommend having phone jacks/ethernet connections at each of the satellite receiver locations.
If you're going all the way, perhaps you'd go with two coax runs at each receiver location. The second one as a spare in case the first one fails.
Have the installer run at least 4 service lines from the panel location to the d-mark.
Also, a couple of spare runs in the attic would not hurt.
This past Saturday I did a job in a home where there were 5 service lines at the d-mark and 6 in the attic. All these running to a panel in a closet beneath the stairs of this two story slab built house.

Thanks, SatGuys, for all your helpful replies.

I know pretty much where I want inside connections and a media convergence center. I was concerned more about how many lines to run to various logical places for antenna connections.

As I understand it, I should have them run two RG6 lines from the MCC to the attic for a possible roof-mounted dish and two to the garage (south-east facing) for a possible ground-mounted dish. I already need one line to the garage for cable broadband Internet access.

The garage actually faces southwest, but there are some trees screening a fairly busy road within the subdivision, so I may need a roof-mounted dish.

Cables for internet and OTA TV signals are in addition to those specified above for just satellite. You'll want spares in place. A new home needs to be packed with cable when being built. Usually OTA and satellite can be diplexed together on the same cable but if separate cables are available, even better imo.

Thanks, SatGuys, for all your helpful replies.

I know pretty much where I want inside connections and a media convergence center. I was concerned more about how many lines to run to various logical places for antenna connections.

As I understand it, I should have them run two RG6 lines from the MCC to the attic for a possible roof-mounted dish and two to the garage (south-east facing) for a possible ground-mounted dish. I already need one line to the garage for cable broadband Internet access.

Run at least 4 to the possible dish locations. I would even advise 6 if the budget permits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)