Dish Store Closed

Ok, I give up. You guys have taught me some valuable lessons. From now on I will only deal with the local screwball retailers, at least I can call them out when I see foul. Before I get banned & say what I'd really like to.................I'll just say, Have a great afternoon.

When I order from one of my distrubutors it doesn't matter how many items I get. If it's under a certain total amount I pay their rate for shipping. A lot of times it's more than the item I'm trying to purchase.

I'm sure that doesn't help you but just trying to help other realize that shipping is a pain and is expensive for a business. I try not to complain much until I've walked a mile in another's shoes. I think everyone should try running some form of business once and see what it's like, could make you more understanding.

I just mailed a 1.1 lb GPS via UPS and to ship it ground to the winner it was $18.03! Shipping is EXPENSIVE these days.

If I remember correctly the total weight for all 3 DISH 1000.4 box was 85 lbs.

The DISH 211 is only a few pounds, and I know claude has been able to save costs in the past by shipping a receiver inside one of the dish boxes so this way he wasn't peying seperate shipping on 4 boxes.

I know when I got my DISH 1000.4 from him I too was shocked at the shipping costs, but when it got here I figured out why it was so much.

For the record, a 1000.4 western arc dish weighs 24 lbs & 13.5 ounces, give or take a few ounces & is packed in 4 boxes.

1k4 wa dish.jpg1k4 wa dish 2.jpg

And there we go. Do you have a ups scale there? Interested in seeing how much it would be to ship to a location 500 miles away using standard ground shipping.

I just shipped out a Tailgater with 211k receiver to Idaho Falls. It weighed 23lbs and cost $54 for regular ground shipping.

And that was only 2 packages not 3 or 4 like a DIsh 1000.4 is (I remember 3 boxes for mine but don't know if Claude reboxes two boxes into one to cut down on shipping.

So I would say the $44 the member was charged for shipping him a Dish 1000.4 was very fair. Plus not the mention Claude gave him a big discount on the dish due to the 211 inventory snafu.

I just shipped out a Tailgater with 211k receiver to Idaho Falls. It weighed 23lbs and cost $54 for regular ground shipping.
Just checked shipping a 23# package, via UPS Ground, from Cedar Rapids IA (you list "Eastern IA" and rest assured, it won't change if you're not in Cedar Rapids) to zip code 83401 (Idaho Falls ID).

Cost: $26.57

Hall said:
Just checked shipping a 23# package, via UPS Ground, from Cedar Rapids IA (you list "Eastern IA" and rest assured, it won't change if you're not in Cedar Rapids) to zip code 83401 (Idaho Falls ID).

But that's a single package. What if you had 4 packages? That is where it adds to the cost.

Well I went to the UPS website to caculate my shipment as well. My location is closer to Dubuque, but I doubt it has that much of an effect. Don't forget they ask for the dimensions too and the declared value which is $500. The cheapest price they showed was $54. I'm not just throwing our numbers for the sake of agruement. I just went through this for a customer this morning.

And that was only 2 packages not 3 or 4 like a DIsh 1000.4 is (I remember 3 boxes for mine but don't know if Claude reboxes two boxes into one to cut down on shipping.

So I would say the $44 the member was charged for shipping him a Dish 1000.4 was very fair. Plus not the mention Claude gave him a big discount on the dish due to the 211 inventory snafu.

The only thing I dispute is the same shipping quote was applied minus the receiver. Now if he would of said the dish was $79, that only would of made the shipping $25.12.

Let me add to my last post. I personally think it's deceiving to let on that I'm getting a discount while the shipping remains the same, it was actually a little higher than the original quote for the dish minus the receiver, given the so called discount on the dish.
Either way this can never happen to anyone again & this thread is going nowhere.

I suspect the "smaller" packages are killing any cost-savings. They effectively have a "minimum" charge on shipments. You'd think if (1) box weighing 20# costs $15 that (2) boxes weighing 10# each would be $7.50 each, but they don't do it that way (anymore). I'm 99% certain that years ago they did though.

So, lesson for the day is: Pack smaller boxes into a larger box if possible !

Well I went to the UPS website to caculate my shipment as well. My location is closer to Dubuque, but I doubt it has that much of an effect. Don't forget they ask for the dimensions too and the declared value which is $500. The cheapest price they showed was $54. I'm not just throwing our numbers for the sake of agruement. I just went through this for a customer this morning.
I'd suggest you look at FedEx Ground if those are the rates you're getting from UPS.

Dimensions only factor in to determine if the package is "oversize". For declared value, it only amounts to a couple of dollars, even with declaring $500. Also, you should declare the value to you, not the customer (i.e. claim your invoice cost from Dish to you, not the sale price). If it's lost or damaged, UPS will not reimburse you the "MSRP" or your listed sales price. You will make a profit off of UPS if you do that and they ain't gonna allow that ! The recipient does not see the declared value you put down either. You'll be charged less by doing this as well, obviously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)