rad

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
See Ergen's Dish files breach of contract suit against Disney's ESPN | Company Town | Los Angeles Times

"Charlie Ergen's satellite broadcaster, Dish Network, a unit of EchoStar, has filed a breach of contract suit against Walt Disney Co.'s cable sports behemoth ESPN.

The suit charges that ESPN gave Comcast Corp. and DirecTV better deals to carry ESPN Classic and ESPNU than it gave Dish and hence had violated a most-favored-nations clause in its contract. Both ESPN Classic and ESPNU are smaller sister networks of ESPN. Dish wants at least $1 million from ESPN, which declined to comment on the suit, filed in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York."

I wonder what Charlies legal bills are?

Ergen's Dish files breach of contract suit against Disney's ESPN

Charlie Ergen's satellite broadcaster, Dish Network, a unit of EchoStar, has filed a breach of contract suit against Walt Disney Co.'s cable sports behemoth ESPN.
The suit charges that ESPN gave Comcast Corp. and DirecTV better deals to carry ESPN Classic and ESPNU than it gave Dish and hence had violated a most-favored-nations clause in its contract.
Source & More: latimes.com

So looks like we will be losing our espn and Disney channels again . God they already charge higher than any other company for ESPN sports channels. I can only imagine the higher price once this lawsuit gets decided . Another Stand off with a channel provider.

I don't think we will be losing any channels over this, the lawsuit is for 1 million dollars in over payments. The channels make much more then that a month just from Dish so it makes no sense for them to want them pulled why this dispute is ongoing.

As far as ESPNU HD goes, it would not surprise me to see them add it while the dispute goes on. Most channels include the HD versions of their channels for little to no extra cost. (And charlie already thinks that hes overpaying for it)

We will keep our eye on this one. I will see if any of my ESPN friends know anything since ESPN is just down the street in Bristol. :)

Oh Gosh! Here we go again. Charlie's staff of lawyers must have beeen getting bored, so he had to give them something to do.

So looks like we will be losing our espn and Disney channels again . God they already charge higher than any other company for ESPN sports channels. I can only imagine the higher price once this lawsuit gets decided . Another Stand off with a channel provider.
How many times do i have to tell You, Shussshh!! STOP EMBARRASSING YOURSELF MIKEY!!
And for those of you have just have joined in...Mike has been spewing his malcontent predictions for pretty much the whole day without any credence than his own bias. He is trying to stir us up. Don't let him.

Last edited:
I don't think we will be losing any channels over this, the lawsuit is for 1 million dollars in over payments. The channels make much more then that a month just from Dish so it makes no sense for them to want them pulled why this dispute is ongoing.

As far as ESPNU HD goes, it would not surprise me to see them add it while the dispute goes on. Most channels include the HD versions of their channels for little to no extra cost. (And charlie already thinks that hes overpaying for it)

We will keep our eye on this one. I will see if any of my ESPN friends know anything since ESPN is just down the street in Bristol. :)

I sure hope we don't loose any espn channels. I think a lot of people would have to switch especially when football season starts. You never know what Dish will do. Never seen a company get into so many court battles.
"Can't we all just get along?"

How many times do i have to tell You, Shussshh!! STOP EMBARRASSING YOURSELF MIKEY!!
And for those of you have just have joined in...Mike has been spewing his malcontent predictions for pretty much the whole day without any credence than his own bias. He is trying to stir us up. Don't let him.

KAB the only one around here embarrassing himself is YOU! There is no reason why I can not converse on this website and express my opinion just like anyone else. When you run your own website you can practice as moderator. You could give old James Long of DBSTALK fame a run for his money ,except you don't have a moderator slot on this forum. THANK GOD!

I will add you to my ignore list because I think you have expressed enough of your view points today. And as my old mother used to say : You don't have to say everything out loud, just just because you think it. :mad:

I'm not sure I understand the criticism of dish here. If you have a contract with someone and you believe they've broken it, you take them to court. Should you just let people not hold up their side of deals because you've already been involved in X suits in the past Y days/months/years and you don't want to be seen as lawsuit happy?

I'm not sure I understand the criticism of dish here. If you have a contract with someone and you believe they've broken it, you take them to court. Should you just let people not hold up their side of deals because you've already been involved in X suits in the past Y days/months/years and you don't want to be seen as lawsuit happy?

Because some here have to bash Dish (Charlie) anytime they can even when there is no call for it. I would say Dish has won out most battles in the end, be in Court or not providing programming if they felt they were being charged too much. (Lost distant's issue in court, yet won in Court in the end with AAD - actually being in a better position)
And it appears they could be about to make very good headway again in the Tivo battle.

Plenty of things to complain about Dish, this is not one of them.

Maybe we should get a sticky thread with all of Dish's lawsuits, and their status.:p

And the sticky with each of the cable company's (especially Comcast--even harder hardball than Dish) and Direct TV lawsuits would show each company to have about equal to more lawsuits than Dish. Oh, and they lose suits, too. Direct TV sued Lifetime Networks for the same reason when Charlie got a better deal than Direct.

Oh Gosh! Here we go again. Charlie's staff of lawyers must have beeen getting bored, so he had to give them something to do.

Well, Direct TV sued Lifetime Networks for the same reason after Charlie dumped their channels than got a better deal than Direct TV. All these cable companies and Dish and Direct, etc., they all sue, and so do the media companies sue Dish, Direct, cable, et al. The perception is that Dish is more litigious, and this is promoted by the media. However, Dish is no worse than any of the other companies. Now, if you really want to see hardball and litigious, start examining Comcast. They make Charlie look like a wimp.

I just want ESPN-U HD.

It would suck to go another college football season without it.

They do show live games, it isn't all just reruns.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)