Dish to unveil 4k?

UHD (4K) isn't a comparison with 3D. I never felt 3D was going to be mainstream, most buyers never wanted 3D other than to play with it some then put the glasses away in a draw. UHD is to me a refinement of HD and no doubt will be the norm eventually. The problem is a good many won't actually see a difference at home. Many are not actually seeing the benefits of HD now because they sit too far from the TV for it to be possible their eyes can discern the difference between 1080 or 720p and even in some cases 480I. How many are going to sit about 4 feet from a 65" TV? That's about what it takes for the human eye to see the full difference between 1080P and 4K - UHD.

Yeh, because of our main viewing area layout/limitations, I would have to constantly sit on the arm of a love seat to get the full benefit...and on a set no bigger than 60". So, I certainly will not be rushing to spend money on something I won't benefit from. I'll be a happy Neanderthal with my plasmas.

4K will become mainstream but not because consumers want it or because broadcasters use it. It will happen simply because the manufacturers continue to increase or improve the standard. They will do this simply for $ reasons too.

Reactions: dare2be
I have the TVs I want in my house, I'm not planning on spending any more money on TVs for years to come, so I don't care about 4K. Hopefully, when I do need to look at TVs again, OLED will be in full swing.

How many of you expert skeptics actually have a 4k TV. Dish's 1080i is noticeably crisper with upconversion and the 4k streaming from Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube is impressive on my 40" Samsung.

How many of you expert skeptics actually have a 4k TV. Dish's 1080i is noticeably crisper with upconversion and the 4k streaming from Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube is impressive on my 40" Samsung.
Not being a skeptic necessarily, but how close are you to that TV set. If you are several feet back, with only a 40" screen, I would have to think that a lot of your perceived difference over a 1080p set would have to be the placebo effect. Now, if your sitting 2-3' away, I could see how you could tell.

Not being a skeptic necessarily, but how close are you to that TV set. If you are several feet back, with only a 40" screen, I would have to think that a lot of your perceived difference over a 1080p set would have to be the placebo effect. Now, if your sitting 2-3' away, I could see how you could tell.

I had a 55" 1080p HDTV before,now I have a 55" UHDTV now,I watch my TV at the same distance 10' away from the picture,can I see a difference between the 1080p picture and the 2160p picture? Yes I can see the difference and it looks better,more clearer,more definition,better color,ect.
And I only have what is considered to be a budget minded 4K UHDTV,a Vizio M55-C2 4K UHDTV.
I purchased this 4K UHDTV with the thought that if I could not see a difference in the picture then I had already picked out a 1080p model to exchange it for and we decided to keep the 4K UHDTV.:)

I had a 55" 1080p HDTV before,now I have a 55" UHDTV now,I watch my TV at the same distance 10' away from the picture,can I see a difference between the 1080p picture and the 2160p picture? Yes I can see the difference and it looks better,more clearer,more definition,better color,ect.
And I only have what is considered to be a budget minded 4K UHDTV,a Vizio M55-C2 4K UHDTV.
I purchased this 4K UHDTV with the thought that if I could not see a difference in the picture then I had already picked out a 1080p model to exchange it for and we decided to keep the 4K UHDTV.:)
Thanks for the review.

Remember, the average consumer buys a new "insert-many-different-choices-here" when their current one quits working. When that happens, most base their decision on a) price, b) screen size (I'd say most people set a range) and c) availability. They walk in to Walmart, Best Buy, etc and come out with a TV. Some also set a $ limit and simply get the largest they can.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Remember, the average consumer buys a new "insert-many-different-choices-here" when their current one quits working. When that happens, most base their decision on a) price, b) screen size (I'd say most people set a range) and c) availability. They walk in to Walmart, Best Buy, etc and come out with a TV. Some also set a $ limit and simply get the largest they can.

...and a sad number of them will then take it home, unplug the TV that was there for who knows how long, and plug the new one in to the cable/sat box using whatever wire hooked up the last one, be it composite, straight coax, etc. :(

Like my niece. When she moved into her latest apartment, she wanted a nice new widescreen TV. Bought a nice Samsung 46" or 50" 1080p model. Does she even subscribe to the HD tier of the local podunk cable for it? Heck no. She LOVES "widescreen" (i.e. stretch-o-vision) SD, and sees no real purpose in having actual HD programming. :facepalm

On the flipside, I'm looking forward to picking up a 4K TV, probably by the end of the year. If nothing else, I'll enjoy that "placebo" effect. ;)

Here is my review. I have not gotten a 4K, and have a hard time seeing a major difference, but I have poor eyesight. My girlfriend on the other hand, who has no knowledge of tv quality or care, will stand 10-15' back at the stores(any store we go into with tvs) and I ask her which one looks better. Ranging from 40" to 80", she has noticed the difference 100% of the time. I even talked the Best Buy guy into letting me take the remote and play with picture settings on a 1080, and a 4K, and when she finished shopping and came up to me, she still was able to tell the difference. That was a 55". So I am inclined to say that the difference is real, and the idea of them just making 4K look better for display was ruled out(that was actually why I wanted the remotes.). Cables were identical out the box cables.

There is an improvement. But not the same league as SD to HD. And the biggest trouble, once again, is bandwidth. Imagine trying to record HD on hard drives back in '01. We are back to square one. And the vast majority of homes don't have the internet speed for 4K. And how many are willing to sacrifice their other Internet usage so that one person can watch a 4K stream?

There are logistical barriers for 4K right now. And based on the limited gain for the cost across the board, 4K isn't quite the win all early adopters want to say it is.

Reactions: Troch77
There is an improvement. But not the same league as SD to HD. And the biggest trouble, once again, is bandwidth. Imagine trying to record HD on hard drives back in '01. We are back to square one. And the vast majority of homes don't have the internet speed for 4K. And how many are willing to sacrifice their other Internet usage so that one person can watch a 4K stream?

There are logistical barriers for 4K right now. And based on the limited gain for the cost across the board, 4K isn't quite the win all early adopters want to say it is.

All good points. Only argument I have is the difference between sd to HD to uhd. If your talking resolution yes. Resolution will be the least important part about uhd. The only difference between sd and HD which is big is resolution.

On the flipside, I'm looking forward to picking up a 4K TV, probably by the end of the year. If nothing else, I'll enjoy that "placebo" effect. ;)
I noticed Best Buy has a pretty good deal on a Samsung SUHD series 65" set on Black Friday. I looked at it the other day, last time I was at Best Buy. I was impressed with it, and have thought about upgrading.
That being said, I am still hesitant at this time because there is really no content I can get right now, the broadband speeds available where I live are not fast enough for streaming, UHD Blu-Ray isn't out yet, and Dish doesn't have any content.
I think the wisest choice for me will be to wait until after CES and see what the new models hold in store. Maybe by the time they come out in the spring, Dish will have something available and UHD Blu-Ray will be out.
Sad thing is, if I lived 3 miles closer to "town" where CenturyLink's CO is, I could get 25Mbps down instead of 4 down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts