Dish vs Comcast (not a Dish Network sucks thread; re: rain fade, etc)

sofakng

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
I've been with Dish Network for over five years and I'm thinking of switching to Comcast (due to price and possible quality), but I have some questions.

1) Is there anything that can be done to help rain fade? When it rains in my area it's awful to lose satellite signal and is a big disadvantage over cable.

2) Comcast uses MPEG-2 and Dish uses MPEG-4 so it's impossible to compare bitrates, etc. Comcast HD does have about 2x to 3x the bitrate but it's MPEG-2 and has a lot digital noise. Comcast SD looks a bit worse than Dish SD though. Is there any way to compare these other than "just look at them" ?

3) Comcast has the advantage of CableCARD so I can use a TiVo, Moxi DVR, Windows Media Center, etc. Dish locks you into their DVRs.

4) Can't transfer content off DVR. With Comcast and CableCARD, almost every channel is marked "copy freely" so I can archive it to my NAS, watch it on my PC, etc. Dish has Sling but it's definitely not the same thing and doesn't work very well in my opinion.

Is there anything else I should know about Dish vs Comcast?

I do NOT want a "Dish sucks" or "Comcast sucks" thread but I want honest opinions so I can make a decision that's best for me.

As far as price, Comcast is $39.99 for the first year with equivalent channels to Dish's America Top 250 + HD Platinum ($69.99 + $10.00 = $79.99) so that's half the price. The second year is $59.99 which makes it closer and the third year is $79.99 so it's equal at that point.

However, there is still the equipment rental which can be free (with CableCARD) where-as Dish charges $17.00/month for an HD DVR.

Anyways... any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to have more information on MPEG quality and transferring programs off the DVR to watch on a PC, etc.

I tried getting Comcast for MLB network a few years ago, and to be honest their DVR sucks.

I then go out and spend several hundred dollars for a TIVO DVR that takes cable cards, and Comcast wants to get an attitude with me when they can't figure out how to get their cable cards to work with my TIVO.

It took 6 service calls for them to finally get the cable cards to work with my Tivo. I ended up finally disconnecting when they sent me a $300 bill in the mail at $50 for each service call and would not take the charges off of my bill.

If your having issues with DISH, atleast consider going with Directv before you go to Comcast.

I've been with Dish Network for over five years and I'm thinking of switching to Comcast (due to price and possible quality), but I have some questions.

1) Is there anything that can be done to help rain fade? When it rains in my area it's awful to lose satellite signal and is a big disadvantage over cable.
It would take a larger dish, here is a thread that some members were talking about. Also if you haven't done so yet, many recievers allow you to hook an Over the Air(OTA) antenna up to them. this would allow you to recieve local channels in the event that your satellite has lost signal. you might also be able to pick up locals that dish doesn't carry along with subchannels. plus the picture quality would be better than what dish can provide you for those and you will still be able to get important weather information! :)

2) Comcast uses MPEG-2 and Dish uses MPEG-4 so it's impossible to compare bitrates, etc. Comcast HD does have about 2x to 3x the bitrate but it's MPEG-2 and has a lot digital noise. Comcast SD looks a bit worse than Dish SD though. Is there any way to compare these other than "just look at them" ?

I'm sure there are programs out there that can compare each and give you a lot of data but in the end i would just go with what looks better to you. you will be the only one that can answer that one.

3) Comcast has the advantage of CableCARD so I can use a TiVo, Moxi DVR, Windows Media Center, etc. Dish locks you into their DVRs.
i think you answered this one.

4) Can't transfer content off DVR. With Comcast and CableCARD, almost every channel is marked "copy freely" so I can archive it to my NAS, watch it on my PC, etc. Dish has Sling but it's definitely not the same thing and doesn't work very well in my opinion.
nope, can't be done at this time. but i for one love being able to access my 922 and all of it's shows from my iphone. YMMV

I do NOT want a "Dish sucks" or "Comcast sucks" thread but I want honest opinions so I can make a decision that's best for me.

As far as price, Comcast is $39.99 for the first year with equivalent channels to Dish's America Top 250 + HD Platinum ($69.99 + $10.00 = $79.99) so that's half the price. The second year is $59.99 which makes it closer and the third year is $79.99 so it's equal at that point. As far as price, i would compare what it will cost after your initial pricing discount. dont' forget to add fees and/or receiver charges into that cost too.

However, there is still the equipment rental which can be free (with CableCARD) where-as Dish charges $17.00/month for an HD DVR.

Anyways... any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to have more information on MPEG quality and transferring programs off the DVR to watch on a PC, etc.

i really can't say good or bad about comcast because they aren't offered in my area but i have been very happy with dish for the last 4 years or so that i have subscribed. I hope any info i put above helps you come to a decision.

We had Comcast for several years in Baltimore before we went on the road. We had more signal problems with Comcast than we have had with DishTV. A belief that cable never has problems is false.

No upfront costs ($100-199 per receiver) with Comcast to have the privilege of renting their boxes. Can swap out any time, no charge.

No 2 year contract for any benefit to you or your account.

Different areas of the country have different equipment, so when someone complains about the Comcast DVR, may have no bearing on you. Here, the new Motorola DVR's are very good.

ON DEMAND - can't be touched or sneezed at by either satco.

No ridiculous $15 per receiver fee if/when you cancel.

In my area, more HD channels than Dish offers. And a helluva lot more FREE and pay HD movies and TV shows ON DEMAND/PPV.

For question #1, rain fade.....re-aim dish? Trim trees?...worse case get a larger dish, and or all 3 should make a large difference....Rain faid should only happen with real down pours and last only a few minutes...just a few thoughts.

No upfront costs ($100-199 per receiver) with Comcast to have the privilege of renting their boxes. Can swap out any time, no charge.

No 2 year contract for any benefit to you or your account.

Different areas of the country have different equipment, so when someone complains about the Comcast DVR, may have no bearing on you. Here, the new Motorola DVR's are very good.

ON DEMAND - can't be touched or sneezed at by either satco.

No ridiculous $15 per receiver fee if/when you cancel.

In my area, more HD channels than Dish offers. And a helluva lot more FREE and pay HD movies and TV shows ON DEMAND/PPV.
why don't u just switch!!

The comparison between Comcast's DVRs and Dish doesn't really tell the story.

Much of the functionality of a DVR is available using one of Comcast's basic receivers with a fairly basic digital package. Comcast has several thousand shows/episodes available on their servers for viewing at any time. Want to watch the Tonight show tomorrow. No need to record it just go into the VOD function and select the show and play it back. Also much of Comcast's VOD is available on your computer so not only can you decide when to watch something, but also on which platform. (Yes I know the Tonight Show is available on Hulu, but this was just an example.)

With movie services (HBO. Showtime, etc. ) many of the movies they offer are also available as VOD. You watch what you want when you want without having had to plan ahead and previously record a movie or watch what is on when you sit down to watch a movie. This makes having a pay TV subscription a better value and less likely that you will stream videos from Netflix.

Because Comcast has more flexibility in the way the deliver PPV you also have more PPV options.

In my opinion the primary uses for a Comcast DVR would be to pause live TV, record the shows that Comcast chooses not to make available on VOD, and finally to archive those few shows that you want to save forever or at least until the HD crashes.

Jim

As far as price, Comcast is $39.99 for the first year with equivalent channels to Dish's America Top 250 + HD Platinum ($69.99 + $10.00 = $79.99) so that's half the price. The second year is $59.99 which makes it closer and the third year is $79.99 so it's equal at that point.

Before you switch providers the advice I would give is to call Dish Network,ask to be transferred to The Loyalty Department explain to them why you are considering a change.They may not be able to do anything,but then again they may be able to offer you something you may want to stay.I always find it's a good idea to exhaust your options then if you still want to change after talking with The Loyalty Department then you will be able to switch providers knowing you tried everything before you left.Good Luck!.:)

you probably just have a crappy install, you shouldn't be having an issue with rain fade at all, the problem isn't always with the signal either, could be loose fittings, rg59 bad cabling, etc

agreed. this where having 2 dish 500s is better. make sure all your fittings are good and you have RG-6 cable not 59. probably just need a re-point.

1.) Comcast is potentially cheaper upfront (but are they cheaper in the long run? Doubtful)

2.) No contract (I never cared about the contract, but then again I knew I wanted DISH)

3.) Better ON DEMAND (DISH has been upgrading their on demand so who knows what we'll see in the near future)

4.) May or may not get a decent DVR (DISH has the same great DVR in all areas)

5.) May or may not have more HD than DISH depending on the area (DISH has the same amount of HD everywhere, still lots more than most cable co's and DirecTV)

I agree with a previous poster, if you're having excessive rain fade then it's due to a crappy install. For me DISH is more reliable than cable.

Comcast has that same $39.99 deal in my area, it requires a 2 year contract. Then if you really want it to equal AT250 you have to add the $7.95 sport pack.

Throw in the fact that they charge $16.95 for an HD DVR and $7.95 per HD receiver and it's not any better deal than dish at full price for 2 years. Sure you can get the first cable card for free but you still have to spend a few hundred more on either Tivo, Moxi, or HTPC equipment.

It would be an okay deal if you only wanted one HD receiver, didn't care about the sports pack channels, and already use Comcast high speed internet.

you probably just have a crappy install, you shouldn't be having an issue with rain fade at all, the problem isn't always with the signal either, could be loose fittings, rg59 bad cabling, etc

true. i've always hated 'rain fade' as a description. should be 'cloud fade'. you should not lose signal becauses it's raining at your house. in fact, by the time it is, your signal should be back! it's clouds (and thick ones at that) to the south that cause trouble. unless the whole visable sky is blanketed in heavy black clouds you should get a signal.
best i've ever done was with a '300' dish way back when (one satellite). never lost signal once. even during monsoon season. then along came the '500' and then I learned a new phrase.

Yes, Comcast is $39.99 for the first year, $59.99 for the second, and $79.99 for the rest of the service length but you can always re-new your contract and stay at the cheaper price every two years.

Right now I'm paying $69.99 (America's Top 250) + $10.00 HD Platinum + $6.00 DVR Service (Comcast doesn't charge that) so it's $85.99 compared to $39.99 (for the first year). I'm tempted to at least switch for a year or two because it's literally half the price. (DVRs are about the same since Comcast is $15.95 but Dish is $17.00)

Anyways... does the Dish Loyalty department ever offer any substantial discounts? I've offered to re-new my contract to get a lower rate but they said they can only offer $5.00 off for three months. Seems crazy since I've been a loyal customer for over five or six years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)